By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD's most important product ever - Ryzen 9 4900HS

I am looking for a new laptop to buy, so I am doing the usual "homework" that I do every few years. Figuring out what's the best in the market and how the get the best bang for your buck. I had no idea AMD was crushing it in the mobile space as well. Refreshing. 

More on the subject from anandtech:

Redefining the Notebook Business with the Ryzen 9 4900HS

It is hard to get a sense of the entire product portfolio from just a single halo processor. That being said, we’ve been waiting for AMD to have a halo notebook design for over a decade. This is it, or at least one of them. It’s hard not to miss the improvement to battery life, which has been a key sticking point for any AMD system, even the Surface Laptop 3. On top of that is the core performance, where AMD can surpass Intel while also being at a lower advertised frequency, or by virtue of offering eight cores in this sort of platform. It’s going to get crazy over 2020 and 2021, where Intel will still offer four cores in its 15 W Tiger Lake designs, whereas AMD will offer eight cores.

The Surface Laptop 3 design win with the previous generation hardware was nice for AMD, but perhaps more importantly it lays the foundation for AMD to work with Microsoft on something bigger and better for the Surface Laptop 4. Ryzen Mobile 4000, with AMD promising 100-130+ designs coming out this year on the platform, looks like is going to produce a really interesting number of impressive designs from all the major OEMs.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15708/amds-mobile-revival-redefining-the-notebook-business-with-the-ryzen-9-4900hs-a-review

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 07 May 2020

Around the Network

What do you need your Laptop for? If you're only working on your Laptop and not use it for PC gaming, a Ryzen U series should suffice. After all, a Ryzen 7 4700U crushes both the i7 10710U and the Ice Lake based 1065G7, and even keeps up with the 9750H in some tasks:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3541009/ryzen-7-4700u-review-amds-budget-8-core-crushes-intels-10th-gen-chips-again.html

Keep in mind that the Laptop with the 4700U here is a bidget model which only costs $650, while it's competitors cost about twice as much. Tiger Lake really can't come soon enough for Intel, both on Desktop and Laptop.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 07 May 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Keep in mind that the Laptop with the 4700U here is a bidget model which only costs $650, while it's competitors cost about twice as much. Tiger Lake really can't come soon enough for Intel, both on Desktop and Laptop.

I very much doubt we see Tigerlake on desktop.  I have little hope of seeing an intel desktop chip that would even make me consider choosing it over AMD until 2022 when if all goes well for them they will released Meteor Lake.

End of Year/Next year they release Rocket lake which might be based on tiger lake cores but at 14nm instead of 10nm.  It hard to get a good read on what rocket lake will actually be.  Alder Lake will be Tiger lake replacement but base on the design(big/little) it sounds like a mobile cpu only but who knows.

Meteor Lake base on everything I read sound like when Intel will finally have a modem architecture across all there platforms that may match what AMD got.  Wont know till 2022 but am hoping with ZEN 4 vs Meteor we will finally have both companies at same time with great CPUs.

For laptop I just hope Clevo increase the number of AMD base chassis they offer.  AMD got great mobile CPU now but they much harder to find then Intel.  Most companies except the few that make there own chassis uses Clevo Chassis to make there laptops.



There was a time when I would have killed for a laptop with the 4900HS.

Granted, my use case was pretty narrow, but I would have bought it fore sure if something as good had existed a year ago.



Cyran said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Keep in mind that the Laptop with the 4700U here is a bidget model which only costs $650, while it's competitors cost about twice as much. Tiger Lake really can't come soon enough for Intel, both on Desktop and Laptop.

I very much doubt we see Tigerlake on desktop.  I have little hope of seeing an intel desktop chip that would even make me consider choosing it over AMD until 2022 when if all goes well for them they will released Meteor Lake.

End of Year/Next year they release Rocket lake which might be based on tiger lake cores but at 14nm instead of 10nm.  It hard to get a good read on what rocket lake will actually be.  Alder Lake will be Tiger lake replacement but base on the design(big/little) it sounds like a mobile cpu only but who knows.

Meteor Lake base on everything I read sound like when Intel will finally have a modem architecture across all there platforms that may match what AMD got.  Wont know till 2022 but am hoping with ZEN 4 vs Meteor we will finally have both companies at same time with great CPUs.

For laptop I just hope Clevo increase the number of AMD base chassis they offer.  AMD got great mobile CPU now but they much harder to find then Intel.  Most companies except the few that make there own chassis uses Clevo Chassis to make there laptops.

With Tiger lake on desktop I meant Rocket lake, which after all is just an 8-core Tiger Lake backported to 14nm. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.



Around the Network

The 4900 HS is actually a 35 watt chip.... Linus makes a mistake in the video you linked saying its 45watts (early into it).

I think he made a mistake, thinking of the TPD of the intel chip.
The Core i7-9750H hes compairing the 4900 HS against, is a 45watt chip.

So basically AMD has a 35watt chip thats beat the current 45watt chip of intels, in laptops.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 May 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:

What do you need your Laptop for? If you're only working on your Laptop and not use it for PC gaming, a Ryzen U series should suffice. After all, a Ryzen 7 4700U crushes both the i7 10710U and the Ice Lake based 1065G7, and even keeps up with the 9750H in some tasks:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3541009/ryzen-7-4700u-review-amds-budget-8-core-crushes-intels-10th-gen-chips-again.html

Keep in mind that the Laptop with the 4700U here is a bidget model which only costs $650, while it's competitors cost about twice as much. Tiger Lake really can't come soon enough for Intel, both on Desktop and Laptop.

What crazy is if you look at like notebookcheck.net, cinebench R15 scores.

AMD ryzen 4700U  (15w mobile cpu) = singel thread score :  182 ,  Multi thread score : 1174.
Intel i7 7700k (91w desktop cpu) =  singel thread score : 192 ,  Multi thread score : 938.

A 4700U basically will feel like your running a i7 7700k at stack speeds.

The Ryzen 9 4900HS (35w) is actually close to a stock Intel i7 9700k in terms of performance.



The only sad part is that we won't see the fap worthy laptops have this until next year. We have some lower to mid tier laptops have it but all the high end ones are still using intel cpus T_T

Next year is gonna be one hell of a year though with Ryzen 4000 cpus + Nvidia 3000 gpus



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Cyran said:

I very much doubt we see Tigerlake on desktop.  I have little hope of seeing an intel desktop chip that would even make me consider choosing it over AMD until 2022 when if all goes well for them they will released Meteor Lake.

End of Year/Next year they release Rocket lake which might be based on tiger lake cores but at 14nm instead of 10nm.  It hard to get a good read on what rocket lake will actually be.  Alder Lake will be Tiger lake replacement but base on the design(big/little) it sounds like a mobile cpu only but who knows.

Meteor Lake base on everything I read sound like when Intel will finally have a modem architecture across all there platforms that may match what AMD got.  Wont know till 2022 but am hoping with ZEN 4 vs Meteor we will finally have both companies at same time with great CPUs.

For laptop I just hope Clevo increase the number of AMD base chassis they offer.  AMD got great mobile CPU now but they much harder to find then Intel.  Most companies except the few that make there own chassis uses Clevo Chassis to make there laptops.

With Tiger lake on desktop I meant Rocket lake, which after all is just an 8-core Tiger Lake backported to 14nm. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Fair enough.  I am just extremely skeptical that a 14nm backport of tigerlake going to be able to compete with AMD Zen 3 base CPUs for the vast majority of use cases. 



Cyran said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

With Tiger lake on desktop I meant Rocket lake, which after all is just an 8-core Tiger Lake backported to 14nm. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Fair enough.  I am just extremely skeptical that a 14nm backport of tigerlake going to be able to compete with AMD Zen 3 base CPUs for the vast majority of use cases. 

Same here.

When Rocket lake will finally come out, it will have to battle not just against Zen 2, but also Zen 3 already, pretty much rendering the increase in IPC over Skylake-based chips moot. Add to this that it only comes with 8 cores against at least 16 (probably 8 per chiplet, but 10 or even 12 are not impossible) and that Zen 3 seems to increase it's clock speed a fair bit and you'll get the feeling that this rocket gonna misfire and drop right back down onto it's launchpad.