Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Has Dropped The Ball On Its PS5 Rollout So Far

sales2099 said:
vivster said:

Before Nintendo and SEGA dropped the ball they haven't had had 30 years of selling 80 million units minimum. If anything the PS3 shows that Sony cannot possibly fail. It wasn't possible for Xbox to beat them despite having a year head start, initially the better game offering and better price. Yep, the x360 doubled market share and then promptly lost it back again. Let's pretend that you're not underestimating Sony. You're still massively overestimating their competition. Sony dropped the ball once in 4 generations and still beat out the competition while selling over 80m units. While in the meantime in 2 of their 3 generations Xbox couldn't even get close, i.e. dropped the ball. So how come all your confidence lies with the competition who has shown in the past that it cannot compete, while all the doubt is centered on the company that has not ever lost? Isn't that a bit of a disconnect? You talk about how Nintendo and SEGA were destroyed from a position of power. Now remind me please, who was it that destroyed them? Sorry, for the bad formatting, it's currently impossible to edit with a browser.

In a traditional sense your argument is pretty rock solid. The PS brand sells itself at this point. Even at their worst generation the market bounced them back. 

I can’t speak for my fanbase as a whole but I personally have zero delusions: even if MS makes an objectively better console and Sony worst case gets their PS3 era hubris...Xbox will still loose. I have no doubt. Europe and Asia just prefer PS. 

Think MS knows this too. Which is why they are changing the game. To them it’s no longer about who sells the most plastic boxes (though that still matters greatly), its more about  a higher active player base. Because more players is ultimately end goal of console competition anyway, MS just bypassing the console barrier for entry. I am however confident that between console, PC, Game Pass and Xcloud Ms can in fact beat Sony with a more active playerbase. 

Take this thread for what it is. Sony could be doing much better to give their fans the respect they deserve. Yes yes they are delivering the games. But the way they are handling the next gen launch is almost like an afterthought compared to MS, and I think the gamers deserve better. 

To the already bolded. I don't think that's the case at all. Do the gamers want more info on PS5....of course. However, when Sony decides to do that is totally on them. Like others have said. Just because Xbox has long since been ready to get the 8th generation over with doesn't mean PlayStation has. They're still profiting big time. If Xbox wants to show all of their cards early, let them. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The narrative switching is crazy. With the cross play, next gen topics, etc have been very present within the last 2 years. PlayStation shouldn't do what Xbox is doing at the moment they are doing it. PlayStation just needs to remember why it is the global brand that it is and why it has worked for them for 25 years.



PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Rafie said:
sales2099 said:

In a traditional sense your argument is pretty rock solid. The PS brand sells itself at this point. Even at their worst generation the market bounced them back. 

I can’t speak for my fanbase as a whole but I personally have zero delusions: even if MS makes an objectively better console and Sony worst case gets their PS3 era hubris...Xbox will still loose. I have no doubt. Europe and Asia just prefer PS. 

Think MS knows this too. Which is why they are changing the game. To them it’s no longer about who sells the most plastic boxes (though that still matters greatly), its more about  a higher active player base. Because more players is ultimately end goal of console competition anyway, MS just bypassing the console barrier for entry. I am however confident that between console, PC, Game Pass and Xcloud Ms can in fact beat Sony with a more active playerbase. 

Take this thread for what it is. Sony could be doing much better to give their fans the respect they deserve. Yes yes they are delivering the games. But the way they are handling the next gen launch is almost like an afterthought compared to MS, and I think the gamers deserve better. 

To the already bolded. I don't think that's the case at all. Do the gamers want more info on PS5....of course. However, when Sony decides to do that is totally on them. Like others have said. Just because Xbox has long since been ready to get the 8th generation over with doesn't mean PlayStation has. They're still profiting big time. If Xbox wants to show all of their cards early, let them. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The narrative switching is crazy. With the cross play, next gen topics, etc have been very present within the last 2 years. PlayStation shouldn't do what Xbox is doing at the moment they are doing it. PlayStation just needs to remember why it is the global brand that it is and why it has worked for them for 25 years.

That reminds me of 360 releasing a year early and Sony says “the next gen doesn’t start until we say it does”. All the while being quiet until e3 2006. It’s not the same situation at all, but my point is that the competition starts when someone makes the first move. You either respond, or let them have the spotlight.

MS still has plenty to unveil...they still have a secondary console to unveil. Which I’m sure they will save for when Sony is finally ready to reveal. Plus the games from their newly acquired studios. 



___________

sales2099 said:
Rafie said:

To the already bolded. I don't think that's the case at all. Do the gamers want more info on PS5....of course. However, when Sony decides to do that is totally on them. Like others have said. Just because Xbox has long since been ready to get the 8th generation over with doesn't mean PlayStation has. They're still profiting big time. If Xbox wants to show all of their cards early, let them. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The narrative switching is crazy. With the cross play, next gen topics, etc have been very present within the last 2 years. PlayStation shouldn't do what Xbox is doing at the moment they are doing it. PlayStation just needs to remember why it is the global brand that it is and why it has worked for them for 25 years.

That reminds me of 360 releasing a year early and Sony says “the next gen doesn’t start until we say it does”. All the while being quiet until e3 2006. It’s not the same situation at all, but my point is that the competition starts when someone makes the first move. You either respond, or let them have the spotlight.

MS still has plenty to unveil...they still have a secondary console to unveil. Which I’m sure they will save for when Sony is finally ready to reveal. Plus the games from their newly acquired studios. 

Marketing ploy at best and still going off of the whole "arrogant Sony" (because they were very arrogant). They learned from that mistake.

Also, do we know for sure Xbox has another console? I didn't know that was confirmed. Anyway, a second supposed weaker console isn't going to do much in the stead of a full reveal from the competition. I do agree that both XSX and PS5 will have an interesting reveal with the games shown.



PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

sales2099 said:
I think anybody can agree that when the fanbase of any product has to defend and debate the merits of a product because the company itself chooses to remain silent and mysterious...that things can be handled better.

When the discussion is made exactly because a group didn't understood the presentation and throw FUD and the other group uses what was said in the presentation to dismiss the FUD I would say the disclosure was effective.

sales2099 said:
vivster said:

Before Nintendo and SEGA dropped the ball they haven't had had 30 years of selling 80 million units minimum. If anything the PS3 shows that Sony cannot possibly fail. It wasn't possible for Xbox to beat them despite having a year head start, initially the better game offering and better price. Yep, the x360 doubled market share and then promptly lost it back again. Let's pretend that you're not underestimating Sony. You're still massively overestimating their competition. Sony dropped the ball once in 4 generations and still beat out the competition while selling over 80m units. While in the meantime in 2 of their 3 generations Xbox couldn't even get close, i.e. dropped the ball. So how come all your confidence lies with the competition who has shown in the past that it cannot compete, while all the doubt is centered on the company that has not ever lost? Isn't that a bit of a disconnect? You talk about how Nintendo and SEGA were destroyed from a position of power. Now remind me please, who was it that destroyed them? Sorry, for the bad formatting, it's currently impossible to edit with a browser.

In a traditional sense your argument is pretty rock solid. The PS brand sells itself at this point. Even at their worst generation the market bounced them back. 

I can’t speak for my fanbase as a whole but I personally have zero delusions: even if MS makes an objectively better console and Sony worst case gets their PS3 era hubris...Xbox will still loose. I have no doubt. Europe and Asia just prefer PS. 

Think MS knows this too. Which is why they are changing the game. To them it’s no longer about who sells the most plastic boxes (though that still matters greatly), its more about  a higher active player base. Because more players is ultimately end goal of console competition anyway, MS just bypassing the console barrier for entry. I am however confident that between console, PC, Game Pass and Xcloud Ms can in fact beat Sony with a more active playerbase. 

Take this thread for what it is. Sony could be doing much better to give their fans some transparency. Yes yes they are delivering the games. But the way they are handling the next gen launch is almost like an afterthought compared to MS, and imo it’s a little disrespectful. 

Funny enough I had some xbox fan (don't remember the name exactly) saying that MS didn't change their FOCUS to services, that their FOCUS still is who sell most plastic boxes, same person probably have been saying MS had changed their FOCUS the last 3 years to justify the low sales.

You don't have access to their roadmap and there is still 8 months to launch, so it really is to early to judge it.

sales2099 said:
Rafie said:

To the already bolded. I don't think that's the case at all. Do the gamers want more info on PS5....of course. However, when Sony decides to do that is totally on them. Like others have said. Just because Xbox has long since been ready to get the 8th generation over with doesn't mean PlayStation has. They're still profiting big time. If Xbox wants to show all of their cards early, let them. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The narrative switching is crazy. With the cross play, next gen topics, etc have been very present within the last 2 years. PlayStation shouldn't do what Xbox is doing at the moment they are doing it. PlayStation just needs to remember why it is the global brand that it is and why it has worked for them for 25 years.

That reminds me of 360 releasing a year early and Sony says “the next gen doesn’t start until we say it does”. All the while being quiet until e3 2006. It’s not the same situation at all, but my point is that the competition starts when someone makes the first move. You either respond, or let them have the spotlight.

MS still has plenty to unveil...they still have a secondary console to unveil. Which I’m sure they will save for when Sony is finally ready to reveal. Plus the games from their newly acquired studios. 

Well it kinda didn't start, look at the sales of X360, since people were still hyping and waiting for PS3 the sales of Xbox was still very slow. When Sony gone and made the launch with very few games, much more expensive and multiplats being worse then Xbox accelerated (yes PS3 was always ahead when launches were aligned) and took the whole gen for PS to finally pass it.

So in a sense the 4 gens Sony had been part of just really started when they launched it.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994