Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monolith Soft had 70 employees in 2011. They now have 243

They now have 3 studios I think. They had two for a while. Kyoto and Tokyo. Kyoto worked on Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario Kart while Tokyo did Xenoblade. Now I wonder if the 3rd is working on the Xenoblade Remake or is that the main studio? My hope is Tokyo is working on that medieval RPG they teased forever ago. I adore Xenoblade but I do want to see them create other new IPs



Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
They now have 3 studios I think. They had two for a while. Kyoto and Tokyo. Kyoto worked on Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario Kart while Tokyo did Xenoblade. Now I wonder if the 3rd is working on the Xenoblade Remake or is that the main studio? My hope is Tokyo is working on that medieval RPG they teased forever ago. I adore Xenoblade but I do want to see them create other new IPs

Same here, as much as I like both Monolith Soft and Xenoblade, I want to see something different and fresh from them next.

And apparently they have 4 studios now.



I didn't think there would be a direct this week, cos I'm a pessimistic dunce.

Wow that's a lot, I thought Rare's 200 employees was a lot but seems Monolith Soft has grown immensely.



I am guessing we’ll be seeing a Direct featuring Xenoblade Chronicles Renaster, soon.

And that might not be all we’ll see from them this year.

Considering XC1 Definitive Edition is not a new game, but a remaster, it’s almost certainly their C team doing it with oversight from the original leads for sing-off gates. Their other teams will be creating something new.

Their primary world creation team likely haven’t had too much to do with Breath of the Wild 2, unless that game will be using a whole new world map. But I am expecting we’ll be seeing a new product from them, potentially, for this holiday season given they’ll be 4+ years out from Breath of the Wild, as most of them would have wrapped their tasks on the project earlier than GM.

There is also the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 team which will have finished 3 years prior to this holiday season.

So, what I expect is a new game with a Breath of the Wild/Xenoblade Chronicles X scale world. Perhaps another part of Mira, or a look back at Mira thousands of years after the initial settlers landed. While it may look like XCX is asking for an immediate sequel, the reality is there wasn’t too much more to say. Takahashi has little issue telling an elaborate story of a time period from 500, 4000, and even 10,000 years in the future. He’s been doing it since Xenogears., where the game fleshes our quite a lot about characters who lived a long time earlier. We know there is something up with Lao, but we can always see how that story unfolded from the future.

What many of Takahashi’s games have in common is a high tech past that gives birth to a new civilization that starts from a lower tech position and rebuilds. So think of White Whale and New LA to be that. They bring humanity back with their Kadamony machine, and install their souls into new bodies. What happens with their memories over time? How does Mira effect that, or the transference from body to body; some might remember completely, while others pass on their personality but not their experiences - this is in line with the three other of Takahashi’s Xeno universes (Although, most explores in Xenogears); and so I would expect to see something like that again.

Needless to say, I am very excited for what they have to bring. I have been a huge fan of this team for most of my life. Since Project NOAH.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Probably my second favorite studio at Nintendo. Hey, if they can't get Nomura, Takahashi is the next best thing if not better. Can't wait to see their new project as well. Been a good while since we first heard about it.



Around the Network
Jumpin said:

I am guessing we’ll be seeing a Direct featuring Xenoblade Chronicles Renaster, soon.

And that might not be all we’ll see from them this year.

Considering XC1 Definitive Edition is not a new game, but a remaster, it’s almost certainly their C team doing it with oversight from the original leads for sing-off gates. Their other teams will be creating something new.

Their primary world creation team likely haven’t had too much to do with Breath of the Wild 2, unless that game will be using a whole new world map. But I am expecting we’ll be seeing a new product from them, potentially, for this holiday season given they’ll be 4+ years out from Breath of the Wild, as most of them would have wrapped their tasks on the project earlier than GM.

There is also the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 team which will have finished 3 years prior to this holiday season.

So, what I expect is a new game with a Breath of the Wild/Xenoblade Chronicles X scale world. Perhaps another part of Mira, or a look back at Mira thousands of years after the initial settlers landed. While it may look like XCX is asking for an immediate sequel, the reality is there wasn’t too much more to say. Takahashi has little issue telling an elaborate story of a time period from 500, 4000, and even 10,000 years in the future. He’s been doing it since Xenogears., where the game fleshes our quite a lot about characters who lived a long time earlier. We know there is something up with Lao, but we can always see how that story unfolded from the future.

What many of Takahashi’s games have in common is a high tech past that gives birth to a new civilization that starts from a lower tech position and rebuilds. So think of White Whale and New LA to be that. They bring humanity back with their Kadamony machine, and install their souls into new bodies. What happens with their memories over time? How does Mira effect that, or the transference from body to body; some might remember completely, while others pass on their personality but not their experiences - this is in line with the three other of Takahashi’s Xeno universes (Although, most explores in Xenogears); and so I would expect to see something like that again.

Needless to say, I am very excited for what they have to bring. I have been a huge fan of this team for most of my life. Since Project NOAH.

Not a remaster. It's a remake. Using the new engine from Torna and everything is new assets. The geometry is different and so are the models plus they added in the deleted area and it looks remodeled. It is a remake.



Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

Growth. Expansion. Efficiency. These are qualities that make my little Monolith Soft, Hard.



Leynos said:
Jumpin said:

I am guessing we’ll be seeing a Direct featuring Xenoblade Chronicles Renaster, soon.

And that might not be all we’ll see from them this year.

Considering XC1 Definitive Edition is not a new game, but a remaster, it’s almost certainly their C team doing it with oversight from the original leads for sing-off gates. Their other teams will be creating something new.

Their primary world creation team likely haven’t had too much to do with Breath of the Wild 2, unless that game will be using a whole new world map. But I am expecting we’ll be seeing a new product from them, potentially, for this holiday season given they’ll be 4+ years out from Breath of the Wild, as most of them would have wrapped their tasks on the project earlier than GM.

There is also the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 team which will have finished 3 years prior to this holiday season.

So, what I expect is a new game with a Breath of the Wild/Xenoblade Chronicles X scale world. Perhaps another part of Mira, or a look back at Mira thousands of years after the initial settlers landed. While it may look like XCX is asking for an immediate sequel, the reality is there wasn’t too much more to say. Takahashi has little issue telling an elaborate story of a time period from 500, 4000, and even 10,000 years in the future. He’s been doing it since Xenogears., where the game fleshes our quite a lot about characters who lived a long time earlier. We know there is something up with Lao, but we can always see how that story unfolded from the future.

What many of Takahashi’s games have in common is a high tech past that gives birth to a new civilization that starts from a lower tech position and rebuilds. So think of White Whale and New LA to be that. They bring humanity back with their Kadamony machine, and install their souls into new bodies. What happens with their memories over time? How does Mira effect that, or the transference from body to body; some might remember completely, while others pass on their personality but not their experiences - this is in line with the three other of Takahashi’s Xeno universes (Although, most explores in Xenogears); and so I would expect to see something like that again.

Needless to say, I am very excited for what they have to bring. I have been a huge fan of this team for most of my life. Since Project NOAH.

Not a remaster. It's a remake. Using the new engine from Torna and everything is new assets. The geometry is different and so are the models plus they added in the deleted area and it looks remodeled. It is a remake.

Although what you described IS a remaster.

The intention of a remaster is to update a game for a new generation. It is basically the replacement of old assets such as outdated code/engines and art, but replicating the original experience as closely as possible.

A Remake is a completely new game based on the old one, and while it may follow most or all of the scenarios and redo scenes, it's mainly doing this as a homage to the original, and doesn't aim to replicate the old experience as a game. Remakes include new design, new direction, and occasionally a new genre. Examples of remakes include Goldeneye 007 Remake, Resident Evil Remake, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Although what you described IS a remaster.

The intention of a remaster is to update a game for a new generation. It is basically the replacement of old assets such as outdated code/engines and art, but replicating the original experience as closely as possible.

A Remake is a completely new game based on the old one, and while it may follow most or all of the scenarios and redo scenes, it's mainly doing this as a homage to the original, and doesn't aim to replicate the old experience as a game. Remakes include new design, new direction, and occasionally a new genre. Examples of remakes include Goldeneye 007 Remake, Resident Evil Remake, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

What you just did here is mix up Remakes, Remasters and Reboots because the industry mixes up terms when they like, Goldeneye and FFVIIR are reboots as they go down a different direction to the original games, XBC and RE are remakes because they remake the original game while staying true to it even if its the same a remake doesn't have to be different from the original. A remaster has always been just a port of the original version to a modern console with little changes other than slight touch ups an example being TLOU on PS4 or RE3 on Dreamcast where it's the same version just on a newer platform.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 22 March 2020

Jumpin said:

I am guessing we’ll be seeing a Direct featuring Xenoblade Chronicles Renaster, soon.

And that might not be all we’ll see from them this year.

Considering XC1 Definitive Edition is not a new game, but a remaster, it’s almost certainly their C team doing it with oversight from the original leads for sing-off gates. Their other teams will be creating something new.

Their primary world creation team likely haven’t had too much to do with Breath of the Wild 2, unless that game will be using a whole new world map. But I am expecting we’ll be seeing a new product from them, potentially, for this holiday season given they’ll be 4+ years out from Breath of the Wild, as most of them would have wrapped their tasks on the project earlier than GM.

There is also the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 team which will have finished 3 years prior to this holiday season.

So, what I expect is a new game with a Breath of the Wild/Xenoblade Chronicles X scale world. Perhaps another part of Mira, or a look back at Mira thousands of years after the initial settlers landed. While it may look like XCX is asking for an immediate sequel, the reality is there wasn’t too much more to say. Takahashi has little issue telling an elaborate story of a time period from 500, 4000, and even 10,000 years in the future. He’s been doing it since Xenogears., where the game fleshes our quite a lot about characters who lived a long time earlier. We know there is something up with Lao, but we can always see how that story unfolded from the future.

What many of Takahashi’s games have in common is a high tech past that gives birth to a new civilization that starts from a lower tech position and rebuilds. So think of White Whale and New LA to be that. They bring humanity back with their Kadamony machine, and install their souls into new bodies. What happens with their memories over time? How does Mira effect that, or the transference from body to body; some might remember completely, while others pass on their personality but not their experiences - this is in line with the three other of Takahashi’s Xeno universes (Although, most explores in Xenogears); and so I would expect to see something like that again.

Needless to say, I am very excited for what they have to bring. I have been a huge fan of this team for most of my life. Since Project NOAH.

Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D are remakes, so is Xenoblade Chronicles DE