Leynos said:

It's fantastic. I put like 200 hours into it. I even did the true final boss. One of the best looking games on the system and the prime example how to do UE4 games on Switch right by 3rd party developers. There is an 8-hour demo on Eshop and your progress transfers over to the real game. The fixed music helps it a lot. Additional stories and costumes are a very welcome addition. Having the DQ8 overworld music never got old.

I couldn't agree with you more and its pretty insane how good this game looks on Switch and makes every other RPG on the system look like they slacked off big time! FE Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I'm looking at you...



Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
That's the greatest thread title I've ever seen.

Anyways, if you're talking about DQXI, there's a 10 hour demo on the eShop, and I think you can transfer your progress, so yea.

See I don't get that. Why would the publisher of DQ11 put a demo of that game on the eShop and not on the PSN? Makes no sense to me. The point of a demo is to make people want to buy the game by trying it so what gives here? Is our PS4 money not as good as Switch money?

Of course I don't per se need a demo of that specific game cause I already know I want to play it but a demo would be nice nonetheless. If for whatever reason they don't plan to make a demo then fine but making a demo on one platform and not on the others is just double standards.



Been playing DQ11 since the start of the year. It's an absolutely fantastic game, even on Switch! The story has 7-10 moments where you're just blown away. The english voice acting is perfect, even down to side characters. Non-random battles + the ability to speed up battles, + good AI that can auto-fight makes fighting a breeze. Bosses are usually tough enough that you have to manually take control of all four party members though (this is a good thing). The game is just teeming with secrets, like hidden recipies, mini medals, and costumes. The animations in this game are top notch too! I technically beat the game three weeks ago, but the post-game is gigantic! And the post-game story content is just so damned good!

Anyway, I absolutely loved DQ8, and have been pining for a true sequel for over a decade. DQ11 just takes everything that 8 did right and expands on it.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Been playing DQ11 since the start of the year. It's an absolutely fantastic game, even on Switch! The story has 7-10 moments where you're just blown away. The english voice acting is perfect, even down to side characters. Non-random battles + the ability to speed up battles, + good AI that can auto-fight makes fighting a breeze. Bosses are usually tough enough that you have to manually take control of all four party members though (this is a good thing). The game is just teeming with secrets, like hidden recipies, mini medals, and costumes. The animations in this game are top notch too! I technically beat the game three weeks ago, but the post-game is gigantic! And the post-game story content is just so damned good!

Anyway, I absolutely loved DQ8, and have been pining for a true sequel for over a decade. DQ11 just takes everything that 8 did right and expands on it.

Wish they port the 3DS version over, never did complete VIII.



Random_Matt said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Been playing DQ11 since the start of the year. It's an absolutely fantastic game, even on Switch! The story has 7-10 moments where you're just blown away. The english voice acting is perfect, even down to side characters. Non-random battles + the ability to speed up battles, + good AI that can auto-fight makes fighting a breeze. Bosses are usually tough enough that you have to manually take control of all four party members though (this is a good thing). The game is just teeming with secrets, like hidden recipies, mini medals, and costumes. The animations in this game are top notch too! I technically beat the game three weeks ago, but the post-game is gigantic! And the post-game story content is just so damned good!

Anyway, I absolutely loved DQ8, and have been pining for a true sequel for over a decade. DQ11 just takes everything that 8 did right and expands on it.

Wish they port the 3DS version over, never did complete VIII.

There should be a good emulator for PS2 on PC by now. Just enjoy VIII any way you can. That game is 14+ years old now. Squeenix got all their money from it and then some. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Around the Network

I still have yet to play it. It looks a lot like Dragon Quest 8, and I'm one of the few people who don't really like that one. Dragon Quest 1-5, to me, is one of my favourite bunches of RPGs ever, but the following stretch of Dragon Quest 6-8 wasn't my thing. I loved Dragon Quest 9, but I think that's an outlier, as I enjoyed it mostly because of the local multiplayer. I don't know how much I'd like it without that (kind of like Secret of Mana, a game I love, but don't really like without the multiplayer). I have Dragon Quest 11, though.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I still have yet to play it. It looks a lot like Dragon Quest 8, and I'm one of the few people who don't really like that one. Dragon Quest 1-5, to me, is one of my favourite bunches of RPGs ever, but the following stretch of Dragon Quest 6-8 wasn't my thing. I loved Dragon Quest 9, but I think that's an outlier, as I enjoyed it mostly because of the local multiplayer. I don't know how much I'd like it without that (kind of like Secret of Mana, a game I love, but don't really like without the multiplayer). I have Dragon Quest 11, though.

It's not like DQ8. I did not like DQ8 at all aside from music and DQXIS is now my fave entry in the series.



Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

Leynos said:
Jumpin said:

I still have yet to play it. It looks a lot like Dragon Quest 8, and I'm one of the few people who don't really like that one. Dragon Quest 1-5, to me, is one of my favourite bunches of RPGs ever, but the following stretch of Dragon Quest 6-8 wasn't my thing. I loved Dragon Quest 9, but I think that's an outlier, as I enjoyed it mostly because of the local multiplayer. I don't know how much I'd like it without that (kind of like Secret of Mana, a game I love, but don't really like without the multiplayer). I have Dragon Quest 11, though.

It's not like DQ8. I did not like DQ8 at all aside from music and DQXIS is now my fave entry in the series.

I meant to say "Dragon Quest 5 is one of my favourite RPGs ever" then made a stupid edit and added 1-5. What I meant is I loved 1-5, wasn't so fond of 6-8.

Anyway, I appreciate the response. It's encouraging to hear this from someone who also didn't like DQ8. I'll be playing DQ11 soon.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I still have yet to play it. It looks a lot like Dragon Quest 8, and I'm one of the few people who don't really like that one. Dragon Quest 1-5, to me, is one of my favourite bunches of RPGs ever, but the following stretch of Dragon Quest 6-8 wasn't my thing. I loved Dragon Quest 9, but I think that's an outlier, as I enjoyed it mostly because of the local multiplayer. I don't know how much I'd like it without that (kind of like Secret of Mana, a game I love, but don't really like without the multiplayer). I have Dragon Quest 11, though.

DQ11 is basically DQ8, but with huge improvements. Depending on what you hated about 8, you might still love 11. So what did you hate about 8? 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Jumpin said:

I still have yet to play it. It looks a lot like Dragon Quest 8, and I'm one of the few people who don't really like that one. Dragon Quest 1-5, to me, is one of my favourite bunches of RPGs ever, but the following stretch of Dragon Quest 6-8 wasn't my thing. I loved Dragon Quest 9, but I think that's an outlier, as I enjoyed it mostly because of the local multiplayer. I don't know how much I'd like it without that (kind of like Secret of Mana, a game I love, but don't really like without the multiplayer). I have Dragon Quest 11, though.

DQ11 is basically DQ8, but with huge improvements. Depending on what you hated about 8, you might still love 11. So what did you hate about 8? 

Mostly the the lack of fun factor or satisfaction compared to early Dragon Quest games; I found the game boring. I can’t really say specifically what elements made it feel that way, since I haven’t picked up the game since the PS2 generation and I kind of forget it.

Some things I specifically recall was we kept chasing around this clown enemy I didn’t care about (Dull Magus, a fitting name) for like 40 hours. The world was overly spread out and slow to move around. The mechanics took too long to use. The encounter rate was brutal in that game, worse than any other DQ game. It was like Phantasy Star bad.

The dungeons were obnoxiously long and excruciatingly bland - worse than the worst from Witcher 3 and Xenoblade games; and I’ll note that these games still don’t have nearly as much dungeon stuff. Only Xenoblade 1 had a significant amount of it; Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles X have hardly any, only that the little that’s there is the worst part of those games...

Not that I hate dungeons absolutely, I like the dungeons in some games like Chronological Trigger (I’m just going to leave that English auto-correct spelling), Dragon Quest 5, Breath of the Wild, and Link to the Past. But I had no love for DQ6-8 dungeons.

In short - The things I remember most from DQ 8 were its slowness (everything from battles, to moving around, menus, etc...), obnoxious dungeons, and obnoxious encounter rates. I don’t recall the story at all, other than Dull Magus. I don’t even remember why he was evil, only that he was an angry clown with an irritating laugh that the main characters were annoyed by.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 29 February 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.