Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%
 
Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%
 
Total:180
Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

That's the stuff we keep on the dl.  

Very few reviewers would say that a perfect score indicates a perfect game as I don't think it would be possible to create a game that literally could not be improved on.  Games are generally judged on a sliding scale that is generally based on what is possible and available at the time.  For me, and apparently lots of others, BOTW is head and shoulders above most modern games, hence the score.

And I think Ocarina of time aged pretty well.  A better frame rate would obviously be better, but it's not a significant enough issue that I can't enjoy the game today.  Moreover though, this is a comparison between two games of the same era.  And, I believe that FFVII ran at like 15 FPS during battles.  So, framerate is hardly a winning argument. 

Ofcourse not :p

Was 11 or 12 years old or so and stumbled upon it on the computer of a friend of mine his dad,it also had the famous Tommy lee and Pamela Anderson videos.

The greatness of sex education back in the ol days(cough)

Hopefully you had enough and tissues to enjoy the videos properly.



Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time -

Dan Houser : " Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda is lying — from the games on Nintendo 64, not necessarily the ones from today. But I would argue in that regard we’ve certainly been more sinned against than sinning."



JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Ofcourse not :p

Was 11 or 12 years old or so and stumbled upon it on the computer of a friend of mine his dad,it also had the famous Tommy lee and Pamela Anderson videos.

The greatness of sex education back in the ol days(cough)

Hopefully you had enough and tissues to enjoy the videos properly.

Spoiler!
At that age it was quite shocking and confusing,my friends dad did not have the right mindset to raise children properly being almost always depressed and that resulted in a lack of notice on what his kid could see and do but may he rest in peace as he ultimately commited suicide.

Also about OoT vs ff7 : To me A link to the past was what i hoped Zelda would be for a long time and it felt like it just became a different thing than what i always thought zelda was with the coming of OoT,i liked it and it was impressive for me and for its time but also a let down because of those personal reasons,top down 2d adventures are so rare and i miss them severely.



Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

Hopefully you had enough and tissues to enjoy the videos properly.

Spoiler!
At that age it was quite shocking and confusing,my friends dad did not have the right mindset to raise children properly being almost always depressed and that resulted in a lack of notice on what his kid could see and do but may he rest in peace as he ultimately commited suicide.

Also about OoT vs ff7 : To me A link to the past was what i hoped Zelda would be for a long time and it felt like it just became a different thing than what i always thought zelda was with the coming of OoT,i liked it and it was impressive for me and for its time but also a let down because of those personal reasons,top down 2d adventures are so rare and i miss them severely.

It's hard for me to decide which I prefer; I tend to go back and forth. But at least we continued to get 2D Zelda's on the GBC and GBA, and the Zelda games on the DS were 3D, but still top-down, IIRC.

I really enjoyed playing through the Link's Awakening remake, and it was crazy because playing through the remake made me recall memories about the original that I didn't know my brain still had. It had been so long that I could only remember bits and pieces about the game. I remembered that there was a chain chomp, and sea shells, but nothing detailed... But then while playing the remake, at several points during the adventure I would randomly be fighting a boss or exploring an area and I would recall what I was doing when I was at that point in the game as a kid.



Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

Hopefully you had enough and tissues to enjoy the videos properly.

Spoiler!
At that age it was quite shocking and confusing,my friends dad did not have the right mindset to raise children properly being almost always depressed and that resulted in a lack of notice on what his kid could see and do but may he rest in peace as he ultimately commited suicide.

Also about OoT vs ff7 : To me A link to the past was what i hoped Zelda would be for a long time and it felt like it just became a different thing than what i always thought zelda was with the coming of OoT,i liked it and it was impressive for me and for its time but also a let down because of those personal reasons,top down 2d adventures are so rare and i miss them severely.

Well that took a fucking turn...

On topic, I personally don't like top down games as much as 3D.  It just feels less immediate and visceral.  I really liked a Link Between Worlds, but I've tried LTTP a few times and have never been able to get into it.  Converting something from 2D to 3D necessarily involves a change, but I'd say a change for the better.



Around the Network
Aidman said:
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time -

Dan Houser : " Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda is lying — from the games on Nintendo 64, not necessarily the ones from today. But I would argue in that regard we’ve certainly been more sinned against than sinning."

Yeah, between them Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time essentially wrote the book on how on how gameplay should operate in three dimensions.

Heck, Ocarina got the formula so right that it wasn't until BOTW nearly two decades later that the 3D branch of the franchise significantly deviated from it.



Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

Hopefully you had enough and tissues to enjoy the videos properly.

Spoiler!
At that age it was quite shocking and confusing,my friends dad did not have the right mindset to raise children properly being almost always depressed and that resulted in a lack of notice on what his kid could see and do but may he rest in peace as he ultimately commited suicide.

Also about OoT vs ff7 : To me A link to the past was what i hoped Zelda would be for a long time and it felt like it just became a different thing than what i always thought zelda was with the coming of OoT,i liked it and it was impressive for me and for its time but also a let down because of those personal reasons,top down 2d adventures are so rare and i miss them severely.

Have you tried Alundra? 



JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:
Spoiler!
At that age it was quite shocking and confusing,my friends dad did not have the right mindset to raise children properly being almost always depressed and that resulted in a lack of notice on what his kid could see and do but may he rest in peace as he ultimately commited suicide.

Also about OoT vs ff7 : To me A link to the past was what i hoped Zelda would be for a long time and it felt like it just became a different thing than what i always thought zelda was with the coming of OoT,i liked it and it was impressive for me and for its time but also a let down because of those personal reasons,top down 2d adventures are so rare and i miss them severely.

Well that took a fucking turn...

On topic, I personally don't like top down games as much as 3D.  It just feels less immediate and visceral.  I really liked a Link Between Worlds, but I've tried LTTP a few times and have never been able to get into it.  Converting something from 2D to 3D necessarily involves a change, but I'd say a change for the better.

Yes, without doing that Zelda would have not been so popular today but to me it was like the genre of game also changed.

Breath of the wild feels more like a converted link to the past than  OoT imo.



SammyGiireal said:
Immersiveunreality said:
Spoiler!
At that age it was quite shocking and confusing,my friends dad did not have the right mindset to raise children properly being almost always depressed and that resulted in a lack of notice on what his kid could see and do but may he rest in peace as he ultimately commited suicide.

Also about OoT vs ff7 : To me A link to the past was what i hoped Zelda would be for a long time and it felt like it just became a different thing than what i always thought zelda was with the coming of OoT,i liked it and it was impressive for me and for its time but also a let down because of those personal reasons,top down 2d adventures are so rare and i miss them severely.

Have you tried Alundra? 

No but i did just search a vid of it and it looks kinda fun,i will try to find it on steam or GOG.

Thanks.



Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

Well that took a fucking turn...

On topic, I personally don't like top down games as much as 3D.  It just feels less immediate and visceral.  I really liked a Link Between Worlds, but I've tried LTTP a few times and have never been able to get into it.  Converting something from 2D to 3D necessarily involves a change, but I'd say a change for the better.

Yes, without doing that Zelda would have not been so popular today but to me it was like the genre of game also changed.

Breath of the wild feels more like a converted link to the past than  OoT imo.

I feel like OOT is very similar to ALTTP.  Breath of the Wild is more similar to the original Zelda.