Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo Franchise will be the next to join the "10m club"?

Next game in a Nintendo franchise to hit 10m?

Tomadachi life 3 6.25%
 
Luigi's Mansion 28 58.33%
 
Mario maker 3 6.25%
 
Ring fit/adventure 2 4.17%
 
New IP 2 4.17%
 
None 0 0.00%
 
Don't care 1 2.08%
 
Paper Mario 1 2.08%
 
Donkey Kong 3 6.25%
 
Something else 5 10.42%
 
Total:48
S.Peelman said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Pfft. Doom and Duke Nukem 3D have done mindless fun for years before COD.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure those were also a lot more popular than Metroid (at least relative to the market at the time) because of that, which is the point.

The difference is they were GOOD shooters, instead of just some generic military shooter with a boring protagonist where everything is brown.

Nintendo realized that when they were coming up with Splatoon.



Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes, and I'm pretty sure those were also a lot more popular than Metroid (at least relative to the market at the time) because of that, which is the point.

The difference is they were GOOD shooters, instead of just some generic military shooter with a boring protagonist where everything is brown.

Nintendo realized that when they were coming up with Splatoon.

I want to know how COD is to blame if Metroid fails to sell 10 million that's says more about Nintendo gamers buying habits than it does about COD.



mjk45 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

The difference is they were GOOD shooters, instead of just some generic military shooter with a boring protagonist where everything is brown.

Nintendo realized that when they were coming up with Splatoon.

I want to know how COD is to blame if Metroid fails to sell 10 million that's says more about Nintendo gamers buying habits than it does about COD.

Because COD is a below average batch of schlock that knowingly appeals to people who'd never pick up Metroid Prime, thus over-saturating the gaming scene with it's stench.



CaptainExplosion said:
mjk45 said:

I want to know how COD is to blame if Metroid fails to sell 10 million that's says more about Nintendo gamers buying habits than it does about COD.

Because COD is a below average batch of schlock that knowingly appeals to people who'd never pick up Metroid Prime, thus over-saturating the gaming scene with it's stench.

Oh so it was just a rant Ok understood.



Thought i'd do a quick update. The vast majority think Luigi's mansion will be the next Nintendo franchise (which hasn't done so yet) to reach 10m in sales. It's a good pick. Other notable mentions must go to Donkey Kong which has a shot but only if it is a) released soon or b) Luigi's mansion (or any other IP that hasn't yet reached 10m) doesn't make it. Also for Tomadachi life but again it would have to release soon and obviously break the series record. All of which seems possible at this moment on the Switch! As for those that voted "Something else", I would be interested on seeing their views, or if some or most just misunderstood the original question. If it's the latter, then I apologise for any ambiguity.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Also, another perhaps slight ambiguity. As Ring fit adventure only has 1 game it can't really be considered a franchise yet but I included it as i'm fairly confident Nintendo will make a series around the "ring", with other games including it incoming. 1 last thing, another glance at the poll shows that maybe MM has a chance, with 2 votes, similarly there's a sliver of confidence that an as yet unannounced new IP can make it. Looks like there's not much confidence in Poor Paper Mario though. When I first included it, I thought the series had better sales than it did. Will need a pretty monumental series' best to get there, if indeed it is even coming! Can anyone think of an IP I missed out that may have a shot? 

Also, i'm pleased that "None" is the least popular option with 0 votes!



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:

Also, another perhaps slight ambiguity. As Ring fit adventure only has 1 game it can't really be considered a franchise yet but I included it as i'm fairly confident Nintendo will make a series around the "ring", with other games including it incoming. 1 last thing, another glance at the poll shows that maybe MM has a chance, with 2 votes, similarly there's a sliver of confidence that an as yet unannounced new IP can make it. Looks like there's not much confidence in Poor Paper Mario though. When I first included it, I thought the series had better sales than it did. Will need a pretty monumental series' best to get there, if indeed it is even coming! Can anyone think of an IP I missed out that may have a shot? 

Also, i'm pleased that "None" is the least popular option with 0 votes!

Why did you make that an option? XD

Also, surprised you didn't make "Splatoon" an option.



CaptainExplosion said:
peachbuggy said:

Also, another perhaps slight ambiguity. As Ring fit adventure only has 1 game it can't really be considered a franchise yet but I included it as i'm fairly confident Nintendo will make a series around the "ring", with other games including it incoming. 1 last thing, another glance at the poll shows that maybe MM has a chance, with 2 votes, similarly there's a sliver of confidence that an as yet unannounced new IP can make it. Looks like there's not much confidence in Poor Paper Mario though. When I first included it, I thought the series had better sales than it did. Will need a pretty monumental series' best to get there, if indeed it is even coming! Can anyone think of an IP I missed out that may have a shot? 

Also, i'm pleased that "None" is the least popular option with 0 votes!

Why did you make that an option? XD

Also, surprised you didn't make "Splatoon" an option.

Well I guess I had to have at least 1 option for the haters/pessimists XD

I didn't add Splatoon or Mario party because I think they are already virtually guaranteed to get there.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Why did you make that an option? XD

Also, surprised you didn't make "Splatoon" an option.

Well I guess I had to have at least 1 option for the haters/pessimists XD

I didn't add Splatoon or Mario party because I think they are already virtually guaranteed to get there.

Yeah, that makes sense when you think about it. Splatoon 2 is at 9.82 million units shipped.



CaptainExplosion said:
peachbuggy said:

Well I guess I had to have at least 1 option for the haters/pessimists XD

I didn't add Splatoon or Mario party because I think they are already virtually guaranteed to get there.

Yeah, that makes sense when you think about it. Splatoon 2 is at 9.82 million units shipped.

It's weird. It's taking a little longer than I anticipated for Splatoon 2 to reach 10 million, even with the updates becoming less frequent after the last Splatfest. Still, I think Japan will more than hold its weight just enough for the game to reach 10 million. It would be an incredible achievement for the game, a first party third person arena shooter with a focus in online-multiplayer that took over Japan akin to Dragon Quest, Pokemon, 2D Mario, and Monster Hunter.