Forums - Sales Discussion - Total sell in for the PlayStation 4 has reached 108.9 million units as of December 31st 2019 While Game & Network Service Down 20%

Nu-13 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

How would you know it was wrong? Nintendo announced over 48 million sold and 52.4 million shipped so thats most likely over 4 million on shelves 

Vg chartz has it at 48.8m at the end of 2019. Even if you look at statistically, over 48m is anything from 48.00...1 to 48.9999..., so it's more likely to be under 4m than at or over.

You going with vgchartz number? If its closer to 49 million nintendo would and should announced over 48.5 million. Im assuming its under 48.5 million sold. 



Around the Network
colafitte said:
Pinkie_pie said:

How would you know it was wrong? Nintendo announced over 48 million sold and 52.4 million shipped so thats most likely over 4 million on shelves 

I've been out the last few days without coming to VGC because of work and i'm seeing that Switch now has 19'3M sold to costumers according to VGC in 2019 instead of around 20'5M the last time i saw the numbers, and now i see you saying Nintendo itself said they sold "more than 48M" to consumers. It's that true? If true then, wow, i did not expected that number at all...

Yes nintendo announced over 48 million sold by 31st of December 2019. Vgchartz then adjusted down by 1.5 million. Vgchartz still has switch sold 48.8 million by end of December which is most unlikely



Keiji said:
Pinkie_pie said:

2.9 million on shelves is overshipped? What about the switch? Over 4 million on shelves

The guy is obviously mad at PlayStation 4's success, that's all. Still I don't understand why there are still people mad at PlayStation's success since PS1, PS2, PS4 are all major success, they should be used to.

The pain is real man.



Pinkie_pie said:
Nu-13 said:

Vg chartz has it at 48.8m at the end of 2019. Even if you look at statistically, over 48m is anything from 48.00...1 to 48.9999..., so it's more likely to be under 4m than at or over.

You going with vgchartz number? If its closer to 49 million nintendo would and should announced over 48.5 million. Im assuming its under 48.5 million sold. 

Not necessarily, Nintendo has been known to lowball their estimates in the past.

The most infamous example being when they said Wii sold over 3 million in Dec then NPD results came and it ended up being 3.81 million.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pinkie_pie said:
Nu-13 said:

Vg chartz has it at 48.8m at the end of 2019. Even if you look at statistically, over 48m is anything from 48.00...1 to 48.9999..., so it's more likely to be under 4m than at or over.

You going with vgchartz number? If its closer to 49 million nintendo would and should announced over 48.5 million. Im assuming its under 48.5 million sold. 

Nintendo don't use decimals when announcing sell-through figures, It's always "Over X Million". Why? Who the hell knows, it's Nintendo.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Around the Network

Looks like PS4 will pass Gameboy sometime this year and become the 3rd best selling console ever.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Looks like PS4 will pass Gameboy sometime this year and become the 3rd best selling console ever.

I think sold to consumers could be in 2021 depending on PS5 price, launch (October?), and early success.



Replicant said:
zorg1000 said:
Looks like PS4 will pass Gameboy sometime this year and become the 3rd best selling console ever.

I think sold to consumers could be in 2021 depending on PS5 price, launch (October?), and early success.

You're probably right, shipped end of 2020 and sold in the first half of 2021.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pinkie_pie said:
colafitte said:

I've been out the last few days without coming to VGC because of work and i'm seeing that Switch now has 19'3M sold to costumers according to VGC in 2019 instead of around 20'5M the last time i saw the numbers, and now i see you saying Nintendo itself said they sold "more than 48M" to consumers. It's that true? If true then, wow, i did not expected that number at all...

Yes nintendo announced over 48 million sold by 31st of December 2019. Vgchartz then adjusted down by 1.5 million. Vgchartz still has switch sold 48.8 million by end of December which is most unlikely

Thanks!, I didn't knew this.... So it's like last year when they said the same "more than 29M" and i was discussing here with some people that this didn't mean the console sold 29'9M, so yeah the console could be perfectly around 48'5M. That means almost 4M units on shelves....lol.

I'm going to say it, please Nintendo fans, don't get mad at me, i'm just being honest: I'm as disappointed at that "low" number as i'm disappointed at myself with missing the correct number i predicted by more than 1M...yikes. And this is with Switch Lite shipping 5M during 2019 at 100$ less than the normal Switch. Without Switch Lite, Switch would had trouble even reaching 18M units sold.....mmmm. Surprising...

That puts into perspective how great is that PS4 still sold almost 14'5M to consumers in 2019 in its 6th year of life, and at the same price as the last few years.



HollyGamer said:
Leynos said:
I don't have a 4K TV but still wondering if I should get a Pro for some games to run better for wait 2-3 years when I get a PS5. Thoughts?

Just wait another year or two, 4K will be even cheaper 

How expensive are they where you're from. I'm from Chicago and I bought my 50-ish inch (I want to say 55, but I'm really not sure) for around $300 almost a year ago. They seem to have already reached the point where they are sold for very cheap. If a few years go by and Leynos still hasn't gotten one, maybe wait for 8k, I would think.