Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 78 47.85%
 
No, but I will be followi... 49 30.06%
 
No, its being overblown 36 22.09%
 
Total:163
Pyro as Bill said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Besides, if you're that worried about it, just do the maths. Work out your chances of actually dying to this thing. After that work out your chances of dying on the way to work. I'm pretty sure you'll worry about the new corona virus much less then. You might not want to go to work anymore... but that's a different problem

If going to work had a mortality rate of 2%, I would have died ~5 times in the past year.

Going to work hasn't a mortality rate of 2% but getting hit by a car may have such a rate.

It's not as If everyone will get the virus so that you can't assume everyone will be hit by a car.

China has like 250k deadly traffic accidents per year and we have over 1m a year worldwide. As long as this virus won't kill many more you shouldn't be more scared of dying from that than leaving your house to die in a traffic accident.

At least not If you aren't in a chinese area where there are many cases.

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 13 February 2020

Around the Network

Its worse than SARS



Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

So the official numbers are getting updated massively to appear closer to the real hidden numbers, just in once, the effect is multiplied by more than 2.
Don't expect soon a Nintendo Direct.



Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TI MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

LET'S FACE THIS FACT : The Switch is the last physical video game system of the history who has a chance to beat PS2's sales.

barneystinson69 said:
Its worse than SARS

It is "SARS-CoV2"

Aren't sequels supposed to be worse? 



crissindahouse said:
Pyro as Bill said:

If going to work had a mortality rate of 2%, I would have died ~5 times in the past year.

Going to work hasn't a mortality rate of 2% but getting hit by a car may have such a rate.

It's not as If everyone will get the virus so that you can't assume everyone will be hit by a car.

China has like 250k deadly traffic accidents per year and we have over 1m a year worldwide. As long as this virus won't kill many more you shouldn't be more scared of dying from that than leaving your house to die in a traffic accident.

At least not If you aren't in a chinese area where there are many cases.

They have a bunch of new drivers on road each year.  I saw a news story that so many new drivers that they pull up to fast food drive thru window the wrong way.  Apparently need more arrows.

Well there is a saying about asian drivers but I'll just enter this video into evidence.  Guy runs into a couple cars, scooter and a bus or maybe truck then ends up in a hole filled with water.  It was probably best place for him to go after failing to turn at intersection.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldalpCTXHU



Around the Network
Chicho said:

The tally is at

60329 confirmed cases 1369 deaths and 5995 recovered

Thats crazy.... the amount of confirmed cases, of infected is riseing rappidly.




JRPGfan said:
Chicho said:

The tally is at

60329 confirmed cases 1369 deaths and 5995 recovered

Thats crazy.... the amount of confirmed cases, of infected is riseing rappidly.


as I said earlier they just added the clinically diagnosed cases (over 13k) in Hubei to the tally - these show the symptoms associated with covid-19 (especially the lung dmg), but the virus hasn't been confirmed in them

that's either because of limited ability to analyse samples or because of a high amount of false negatives the currently used test produces (probably a combination of both)

out of the clinically diagnosed patients 135 or ~1% have died at this point



Lafiel said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats crazy.... the amount of confirmed cases, of infected is riseing rappidly.


as I said earlier they just added the clinically diagnosed cases (over 13k) in Hubei to the tally - these show the symptoms associated with covid-19 (especially the lung dmg), but the virus hasn't been confirmed in them

that's either because of limited ability to analyse samples or because of a high amount of false negatives the currently used test produces (probably a combination of both)

out of the clinically diagnosed patients 135 or ~1% have died at this point

Keep in mind that the drop of cases in early February also stems from the fact that China only reported the numbers from those which not only tested positive, but also showed symptoms of the disease. Anyone who had the virus but either was immune or still incubating didn't make it onto the list anymore. So throughout the last week the number had been underreported anyway and this new tally could actually more realistic as the number of false positives and the non-reported possibly cancel each other out.



Is there a single confirmed case of a non ethnic Chinese who died from the virus?



numberwang said:

Is there a single confirmed case of a non ethnic Chinese who died from the virus?

An American teacher (teaching English) in Wuhan has just died.