Quantcast
VGChartz Gap Charts December 2019 Discussion Thread

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts December 2019 Discussion Thread

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 546,657 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,433,850 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,578,450 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 17,330,261

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 15,751,811



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

Around the Network

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PS4 Vs. X360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 1,660,806 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,908,064 – X360

Total Lead: 925,569 – X360

X360 Total Sales: 33,005,913

PS4 Total Sales: 32,080,344



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

Wow. Seeing the Xbox360 overtake PS4 in the US really puts the Xbox One US totals into perspective.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 546,657 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,433,850 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,578,450 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 17,330,261

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 15,751,811

Onwards and upwards; goes to show just how flawed the argument was 3DS + Wii U represented the total audience for Nintendo hardware/software and therefore Switch's maximum sales potential.

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PS4 Vs. X360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 1,660,806 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,908,064 – X360

Total Lead: 925,569 – X360

X360 Total Sales: 33,005,913

PS4 Total Sales: 32,080,344

Well, looks like even the mighty PS4 isn't going to be able to beat 360's US sales. In light of their recent struggles, it's easy to forget how insanely powerful Xbox's brand power was there not so long ago.



curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 546,657 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,433,850 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,578,450 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 17,330,261

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 15,751,811

Onwards and upwards; goes to show just how flawed the argument was 3DS + Wii U represented the total audience for Nintendo hardware/software and therefore Switch's maximum sales potential.

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PS4 Vs. X360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 1,660,806 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,908,064 – X360

Total Lead: 925,569 – X360

X360 Total Sales: 33,005,913

PS4 Total Sales: 32,080,344

Well, looks like even the mighty PS4 isn't going to be able to beat 360's US sales. In light of their recent struggles, it's easy to forget how insanely powerful Xbox's brand power was there not so long ago.

As for people saying 3DS + Wii U being the max for the Switch, it doesn't really make sense. Every generation is fresh start. Look at the Wii to Wii U to Switch. Or look at the OG Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One. Sony has been the most consistent with all PlayStation's except PS3 selling over 100 million. 

Xbox 360 was a beast in the US and the Kinect only added to that. The huge drop for the PS4 is thanks to the Kinect. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Onwards and upwards; goes to show just how flawed the argument was 3DS + Wii U represented the total audience for Nintendo hardware/software and therefore Switch's maximum sales potential.

Yep, having Nintendo's software split between two seperate ecosystems increases the likelihood that people would find each individual system unappealing. Just because someone didnt have a 3DS or Wii U doesnt mean that person wouldnt want a system that combines their software support.

It's not just 3DS+Wii U owners but also Vita owners who have migrated to Switch with it being a high end portable with a ton of indies, smaller Japanese games and various western ports.

Also Switch has been able to regain some of the Wii crowd with its motion controls, couch multiplayer and fitness/rhythm/party games like Just Dance, Super Mario Party & Ring Fit & Fitness Boxing all having success.

Brain Training recently released and I expect to see more of the DS era games like Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy & Style Savvy in the next year or two.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Onwards and upwards; goes to show just how flawed the argument was 3DS + Wii U represented the total audience for Nintendo hardware/software and therefore Switch's maximum sales potential.

Yep, having Nintendo's software split between two seperate ecosystems increases the likelihood that people would find each individual system unappealing. Just because someone didnt have a 3DS or Wii U doesnt mean that person wouldnt want a system that combines their software support.

It's not just 3DS+Wii U owners but also Vita owners who have migrated to Switch with it being a high end portable with a ton of indies, smaller Japanese games and various western ports.

Also Switch has been able to regain some of the Wii crowd with its motion controls, couch multiplayer and fitness/rhythm/party games like Just Dance, Super Mario Party & Ring Fit & Fitness Boxing all having success.

Brain Training recently released and I expect to see more of the DS era games like Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy & Style Savvy in the next year or two.

Yeah it will always a very silly argument, but I remember seeing it over and over in the first year or two of the Switch, "oh it's selling well now, but it won't reach 100 million because Wii U + 3DS shows there's only about 88 million people out there interested in Nintendo."

Thankfully we seem to have reached a point now where the downplaying has largely died off compared to 2017-2018. It's not gone completely, but its far less prolific now that the Switch's success is essentially undeniable.



You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Xbox One vs PlayStation 3 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

XOne Vs. PS3 US:

Gap change in latest month: 83,252 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 475,757 – PS3

Total Lead: 3,836,107 - XOne

XOne Total Sales: 27,486,776

PS3 Total Sales: 23,650,669



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Xbox One vs PlayStation 3 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

XOne Vs. PS3 US:

Gap change in latest month: 83,252 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 475,757 – PS3

Total Lead: 3,836,107 - XOne

XOne Total Sales: 27,486,776

PS3 Total Sales: 23,650,669

And with that, even in its weakened state, Xbox's current gen performance beats Playstation's last gen performance in the US.

Shows how much of a stumble PS3 was and that while it may struggle worldwide, the Xbox brand still has some power left in America.



trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Xbox One vs PlayStation 3 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

XOne Vs. PS3 US:

Gap change in latest month: 83,252 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 475,757 – PS3

Total Lead: 3,836,107 - XOne

XOne Total Sales: 27,486,776

PS3 Total Sales: 23,650,669

I think there is some closing of the gap coming up.  XB1 is all but done, while PS3 had some decent legs, especially compared to how it started.  I don't think PS3 will quite catch up to XB1, but the gap will be closer in the end.