By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts December 2019 Discussion Thread

5m in one month. Not too shabby.

It may not have been obvious in 2017 and 2018, but those graphs really show how XB1/PS4 are out of synch with Switch. The former two consoles are declining, because they are ending a generation. Switch is still accelerating, because it began a new one.



Around the Network
trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
5m in one month. Not too shabby.

It may not have been obvious in 2017 and 2018, but those graphs really show how XB1/PS4 are out of synch with Switch. The former two consoles are declining, because they are ending a generation. Switch is still accelerating, because it began a new one.

The Switch is helping offset the decline in sales of the PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo has generally done their own thing over the years. Look at the naming of their consoles and handhelds, as well as their controllers. 

Switch sales will likely decline while the PS5 and Xbox Series X grow in their early years. 

Well you are kind of right.  I think it is more accurate to say that PS5 and Series X will be out of synch with Switch.  Switch launched about 3.5 years after PS4/XB1.  Now the other two companies are launching about 3.5 years after Switch.  Usually, competing systems launch within 1-2 years of one another.  That didn't happen this time.  The systems are out of synch now.  We'll just have to wait and see what the effects will be.



The_Liquid_Laser said:
5m in one month. Not too shabby.

Now there's an understatement.

How many times has this happened before, a single system topping 5 million in one month?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Now there's an understatement.

How many times has this happened before, a single system topping 5 million in one month?

Platforms with months over 5 million:

Switch

  • Dec 2019 - 5,043,666

DS

  • Dec 2006 - 5,294,269
  • Dec 2007 - 7,586,709
  • Dec 2008 - 7,723,240
  • Dec 2009 - 7,085,991
  • Dec 2010 - 5,543,354

Wii

  • Dec 2008 - 5,673,205
  • Dec 2009 - 7,396,341
  • Dec 2010 - 5,714,967

Platforms with months over 4 million:

Xbox 360

  • Dec 2010 - 4,002,911

3DS

  • Dec 2011 - 4,761,117

PS4

  • Dec 2015 - 4,578,358
  • Dec 2016 - 4,862,141

So Switch has just pulled off something only the Wii and DS have ever done before. Wowzer.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Now there's an understatement.

How many times has this happened before, a single system topping 5 million in one month?

Platforms with months over 5 million:

Switch

  • Dec 2019 - 5,043,666

DS

  • Dec 2006 - 5,294,269
  • Dec 2007 - 7,586,709
  • Dec 2008 - 7,723,240
  • Dec 2009 - 7,085,991
  • Dec 2010 - 5,543,354

Wii

  • Dec 2008 - 5,673,205
  • Dec 2009 - 7,396,341
  • Dec 2010 - 5,714,967

Platforms with months over 4 million:

Xbox 360

  • Dec 2010 - 4,002,911

3DS

  • Dec 2011 - 4,761,117

PS4

  • Dec 2015 - 4,578,358
  • Dec 2016 - 4,862,141

I didn't know Switch entered an exclusive category with the DS and Wii.  I'd like to officially change my "not too shabby" to a "that's pretty good".



Around the Network

Just so as you know, you have made a typo in the 1st line, it says "November instead of "December". Also, in the LTD percentages, you mentioned Switch twice. Pretty sure 2nd one supposed to be xboxone



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

trunkswd said:
peachbuggy said:
Just so as you know, you have made a typo in the 1st line, it says "November instead of "December". Also, in the LTD percentages, you mentioned Switch twice. Pretty sure 2nd one supposed to be xboxone

Thank you for pointing that out. Typos have been fixed. 

np



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Platforms with months over 5 million:

Switch

  • Dec 2019 - 5,043,666

DS

  • Dec 2006 - 5,294,269
  • Dec 2007 - 7,586,709
  • Dec 2008 - 7,723,240
  • Dec 2009 - 7,085,991
  • Dec 2010 - 5,543,354

Wii

  • Dec 2008 - 5,673,205
  • Dec 2009 - 7,396,341
  • Dec 2010 - 5,714,967

Platforms with months over 4 million:

Xbox 360

  • Dec 2010 - 4,002,911

3DS

  • Dec 2011 - 4,761,117

PS4

  • Dec 2015 - 4,578,358
  • Dec 2016 - 4,862,141

So Switch has just pulled off something only the Wii and DS have ever done before. Wowzer.

Remember this site only goes back to 7th gen so we cant rule out systems like GBC, PS1, PS2 or GBA.

PS2 Dec NPD

2001-1.97m

2002-2.73m

2003-1.97m

GBA Dec NPD

2001-1.62m

2002-2.22m

2003-2.32m

Based on these NPD numbers, its very possible they did 5m glovally.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

So PS3 + 360 did 173.2 million total; PS4 + Xbone need to do another 20.3 million to reach that.

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

Yes, quite true. Sony consoles generally have longer life spans than Nintendo's. At least when you look at the last few generations. Game Boy was on the market forever. 

Well there may be 1 or 2 exceptions, but in general preety much every console on sony has long legs, and did decent % of sales in their dying years, as opposite to nintendo, because half of their consoles aren't even so successful and normally when they start to decline they are dead within 3 years and haven't done big % of their sales in their last years.

The power on nintendo consoles is only in their prime years. And at that period (well the successful ones) beat easily other consoles sales records for 1 year or even for 1 month as it is now with switch or have been before with ds and wii.

It's just like marathon and sprint. Nintendo is doing sprint, Sony is doing marathon.

The Switch isn't bound to follow the patterns of most past systems though, it's quite uniquely different from any prior Nintendo platform.

If they're smart there's no reason they can't leg it out.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Switch vs Wii – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 4,259,847 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 384,951 - Wii

Total Lead: 2,238,824 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 49,808,000

Wii Total Sales: 52,046,824

Switch keeping impressively close considering how insane Wii's sales were in its prime.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)