Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo play order help

Looking for thoughts on how i should play the halo series. Just got my xbox couple weeks ago and gamepass, finished Halo 1 two days ago, but after looking online i see halo 1 isn't actually the start of the series. Regardless, should i go ahead and play 2 or go back and do halo wars then reach.



Around the Network

Just go onto 2.

Reach is a prequel. Have no idea about Wars.



I think its best to just play them in order of release.



The chronological order is: Halo Wars > Halo Reach > Halo CE > Halo 2 > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 5 > Halo Wars 2.

Halo CE, 2, 3, 4 and 5 = Main Story/Master Chief's Story.
Halo 3 ODST = Spinoff following an ODST squad.
Halo Wars 1 & 2 = Spinoff following Spirit of Fire & Spartan Red Team.
Halo Reach = Spinoff following Noble Team.

The spin-offs are for the most part their own self contained stories, Reach is linked to mainline entries partly but ODST links very little to mainline entries, Halo Wars 1 & 2 not so much at all IIRC. Honestly I'd say the order doesn't matter much and since you've already finished Halo CE then I'd say just carry on in order of release.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 01 January 2020

Reach is the Pre-quel to Halo 1, however there isnt an issue starting from 1 and playing to Reach. You can play the Halo Wars series when ever you feel like mixing it up alittle. They are extremly underrated games.



Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

The chronological order is: Halo Wars > Halo Reach > Halo CE > Halo 2 > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 5 > Halo Wars 2.

Halo CE, 2, 3, 4 and 5 = Main Story/Master Chief's Story.
Halo 3 ODST = Spinoff following an ODST squad.
Halo Wars 1 & 2 = Spinoff following Spirit of Fire & Spartan Red Team.
Halo Reach = Spinoff following Noble Team.

The spin-offs are for the most part their own self contained stories, Reach is linked to mainline entries partly but ODST links very little to mainline entries, Halo Wars 1 & 2 not so much at all IIRC. Honestly I'd say the order doesn't matter much and since you've already finished Halo CE then I'd say just carry on in order of release.

Sounds good. I remember when ODST released alot of fans were disappointed. Went ahead and started 2, goodness what an upgrade in quality! I'm hooked and like it much more than 1.



umegames said:
Ryuu96 said:

The chronological order is: Halo Wars > Halo Reach > Halo CE > Halo 2 > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 5 > Halo Wars 2.

Halo CE, 2, 3, 4 and 5 = Main Story/Master Chief's Story.
Halo 3 ODST = Spinoff following an ODST squad.
Halo Wars 1 & 2 = Spinoff following Spirit of Fire & Spartan Red Team.
Halo Reach = Spinoff following Noble Team.

The spin-offs are for the most part their own self contained stories, Reach is linked to mainline entries partly but ODST links very little to mainline entries, Halo Wars 1 & 2 not so much at all IIRC. Honestly I'd say the order doesn't matter much and since you've already finished Halo CE then I'd say just carry on in order of release.

Sounds good. I remember when ODST released alot of fans were disappointed. Went ahead and started 2, goodness what an upgrade in quality! I'm hooked and like it much more than 1.

It's quite possibly the remaster?



1. Halo 1
2. Halo 3
3. Halo 3
4. Halo: ODST
5. Halo Reach
6. Halo 4
7. Halo 5



我是广州人

Ashadelo said:
1. Halo 1
2. Halo 3
3. Halo 3
4. Halo: ODST
5. Halo Reach
6. Halo 4
7. Halo 5

Yeah actually this list seems like the best way to play the series. Just skip 2 and just play halo 3 two times in a row.



umegames said:
Ryuu96 said:

The chronological order is: Halo Wars > Halo Reach > Halo CE > Halo 2 > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 5 > Halo Wars 2.

Halo CE, 2, 3, 4 and 5 = Main Story/Master Chief's Story.
Halo 3 ODST = Spinoff following an ODST squad.
Halo Wars 1 & 2 = Spinoff following Spirit of Fire & Spartan Red Team.
Halo Reach = Spinoff following Noble Team.

The spin-offs are for the most part their own self contained stories, Reach is linked to mainline entries partly but ODST links very little to mainline entries, Halo Wars 1 & 2 not so much at all IIRC. Honestly I'd say the order doesn't matter much and since you've already finished Halo CE then I'd say just carry on in order of release.

Sounds good. I remember when ODST released alot of fans were disappointed. Went ahead and started 2, goodness what an upgrade in quality! I'm hooked and like it much more than 1.

Well Halo CE was a 360 remaster and Halo 2 a X1 remaster. Unless you play them both on the old engine...