Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like the story is a little different.

If Rare was independent they would have closed due to a big streak of low selling games, MS kept they alive. Also they were the ones that wanted to try something different and asked to work on Kinect and MS allowed.

Rare was hot shit before MS bought them in 2002 and MS ruined them basically so Nintendo couldn't have their games. Just read this if you don't believe me.

Lets face it, MS isn't great with handling their studios. Of the 10 studios MS has acquired over the past 20 years, five have been closed, and two are still around but separated.

Not all studios stay relevant, much of Rare's old content hasn't aged well either. I rather play their Xbox stuff.

Sony's record with studios hasnt been amazing either, they've closed numerous and buy successful studios to replace them.

It wasn't that long ago when Sony was praised for talking with former Lionhead Studios employees. Then about a week later or so they closed Evolution Studios after Driveclub sold well.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like the story is a little different.

If Rare was independent they would have closed due to a big streak of low selling games, MS kept they alive. Also they were the ones that wanted to try something different and asked to work on Kinect and MS allowed.

Rare was hot shit before MS bought them in 2002 and MS ruined them basically so Nintendo couldn't have their games. Just read this if you don't believe me.

"Rare was always looking East at Japanese and Nintendo's games in particular, with their open-hearted childlike vibrancy and playfulness," explains Hollis. "Meanwhile, Microsoft had a US-centric style to its games, a flair of machismo and testosterone. For the first decade after the Microsoft sale the major problem for the creativity of the studio has been direction. Looking in from the outside it felt as if neither Microsoft or Rare could work out where it was headed."

From the inside the studio's gates, too, the changes to Rare introduced by Microsoft tampered with the recipe of the company's success, leaving teams feeling disorientated, and even downcast.

"For me personally, the atmosphere became much more stifling and a lot more stressful," he says. "There was an overall feeling that you weren't really in control of what you were doing and that you weren't really trusted either.

"There was also a gradual introduction of certain Microsoft behaviours that crept into the way we did things: lots more meetings, performance reviews and far more regard for your position within the company," he said."

Lets face it, MS isn't great with handling their studios. Of the 10 studios MS has acquired over the past 20 years, five have been closed, and two are still around but separated.

You are putting the blame on the wrong horse.

Nintendo had the opportunity to buy the studio (they had 50% at the time) but weren't interested so MS gone and bought all.

Taking the opinion of a single disgruntled ex-employee is hardly the way to look history.

I'm no defender of MS and I know they had made several bad decisions and studio management was among the main for me. I just wanted to correct the two or three misconceptions you had over it.

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Well TVs are 1080p and 4k, so 1440p will need upscaling (and sure we don't know exactly what will be in the end, but I am going from the rumor of it being aimed at 1080p60fps, which sure may be wrong and MS do a clever 1440k internal resolution with native upscaler chip and deliver 4k that for general customers will be enough to convince them.

I don't think PS5 will aim for 60fps, that isn't the biggest thing on console gaming so far and I don't think it will be next gen. Sure some genres we will have 4k60fps (racer/fighters) some we may have 1080p60fps with upscale (like competitive FPS) and most will be 4k30fps (and sure some will even be less than 4k even on 30fps to increase other IQ aspects), still the 9Tf rumor on PS5 is unlikely (with both consoles launching together I don't think Sony is aiming for a 30% weaker HW).

I loved the concept of Kinect (will not comment on it not being achievable at that moment because of technology, but it was a needed step to keep developing over it and I hope it get back with more VR/AR solutions), but I can't say Kinect Sports was a critical acclaim and sales success because Kinect itself was the success and KS was bundled (KS2 sold very little in comparison). Still as I said if you consider the cases you pointed as success I can accept that without problem even though I enjoy their NES/SNES/N64 games a much more and don't think they have really aged bad.

1440p is already fairly common on X1X and PS4 Pro and it looks fine. There is also new tech that apparently uses dynamic resolution on areas of the screen that need less detail. Resource efficient ideas can help Lockhart maintain an overall sharp image, atleast less glaring then some would expect compared to more powerful hardware.

Right now, it appears Sony will only have one model of PS5 and affordability is likely a focus. I dont think having 30% less power really matters. It won't make a world of difference. But we will see.

Kinect Sports didnt have any bundling I'm really aware of. No mass bundling at least. Kinect Adventures was bundled with every unit. Kinect Sports 2 sold less, but it seems like every Rare sequel sells less, it was their trend.

1440p internal resolution sure, but it is upscaled to 4k to show on the screen (I have alluded to that), and yes the level of fidelity of PS4Pro/X1X is certainly very good for most people. The problem I have with the strategy people say MS will go for (let's dismiss Lockhart at 1080p) is that a Lockhart at 299 and XSX at 499 competing against PS5 399 with the first being 100 cheaper but less than half power and the other being 30% more powerful for 100 more will make PS5 look like an incredible deal on the middle ground. But sure I can be wrong on it.

If KA was the bundled and KS not them I stand corrected.

Mr Puggsly said:
goopy20 said:

Well, there's no arguing taste, of course. If you love Halo, Gears and Forza and want MS to just stick to these 3 franchises for all eternity, then fine. I'm merely explaining why the vast majority will stick to a Sony console based on the exclusives both companies have launched. It was a huge deal when MS took over Rare but after MS forced them to spend a whole console generation making Kinect shovelware, they are now a mere shell of what they once were. I mean what was the last game Rare made that got decent reviews? 

Not trying to hate on the next gen Xbox because like I said, I think it's great if they will launch something with beastly specs. It's the reason why I loved the original Xbox in the first place. The whole thing about launching a second console sounds pretty terrible, though. The beauty of consoles is that developers can push the hardware to it's upmost limits while getting the best visuals possible on screen. Making all games native 4k and 60 or even 120fps isn't that imo. Basically we would be playing the same games we are playing now but at a higher fps and resolution, which isn't even that noticeable when you're sitting away from a tv. It would be way better if they were still locked at 30fps and 1080p (or 1440p) with a huge boost in overall visual fidelity and ray tracing. If developers would use the cheaper Xbox as the base console, all games on the proper next gen consoles will be seriously hold back because of it.

Hehe, I do like Gears and Halo. It also doesent take a significant amount of time to play them. I would like to see Sony create a good shooter that passes the test of time but it hasnt quite happened yet, period.

Forza has actually evolved significantly. How many other sim racers have turned into critically acclaimed open world games? The Horizon games are likely more popular then the sim games ever were.

I am actually bored talking to you, its just you bitching about Xbox content. The thing is I like Sony and MS for different reasons in regard to 1st party games.

Killzone is fairly competent shooter, but yes Sony doesn't have anything of the appraisal of Halo or Gears exclusive. I don't like FPS but I agree Sony needs one to keep the diversity of offering.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Alcyon said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

You've not answered the original question. You said games are why people buy the console.

All the games that the new Xbox has that a gamer would want to play would also be on PC. So why would a PC gamer buy an Xbox Series X?

When were the Halo's games released on PC again?

Halo 6 and future Halo's are coming out on PC, you know full well that it is.

Every single game that will come out on Xbox Series X will be released on PC. It's powerful but doesn't have the benefits that you get with a PC (customisation, long term upgradability etc.

So for the last time. Why would a PC Gamer buy an Xbox Series X?



PS4 and PC gaming

 

PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Zotac Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence Ram 3200 mhz
1TB Samsung Qvo SSD
Corsair Spec-Delta Case
Asus ROG B450-F Motherboard

ArchangelMadzz said:
Alcyon said:

When were the Halo's games released on PC again?

Halo 6 and future Halo's are coming out on PC, you know full well that it is.

Every single game that will come out on Xbox Series X will be released on PC. It's powerful but doesn't have the benefits that you get with a PC (customisation, long term upgradability etc.

So for the last time. Why would a PC Gamer buy an Xbox Series X?

"This is true because I say so". We heard the same sentence in 2013 'why buy a PS4/XBox One when all the games will come on PC?"



DonFerrari said:
goopy20 said:

Rare was hot shit before MS bought them in 2002 and MS ruined them basically so Nintendo couldn't have their games. Just read this if you don't believe me.

"Rare was always looking East at Japanese and Nintendo's games in particular, with their open-hearted childlike vibrancy and playfulness," explains Hollis. "Meanwhile, Microsoft had a US-centric style to its games, a flair of machismo and testosterone. For the first decade after the Microsoft sale the major problem for the creativity of the studio has been direction. Looking in from the outside it felt as if neither Microsoft or Rare could work out where it was headed."

From the inside the studio's gates, too, the changes to Rare introduced by Microsoft tampered with the recipe of the company's success, leaving teams feeling disorientated, and even downcast.

"For me personally, the atmosphere became much more stifling and a lot more stressful," he says. "There was an overall feeling that you weren't really in control of what you were doing and that you weren't really trusted either.

"There was also a gradual introduction of certain Microsoft behaviours that crept into the way we did things: lots more meetings, performance reviews and far more regard for your position within the company," he said."

Lets face it, MS isn't great with handling their studios. Of the 10 studios MS has acquired over the past 20 years, five have been closed, and two are still around but separated.

You are putting the blame on the wrong horse.

Nintendo had the opportunity to buy the studio (they had 50% at the time) but weren't interested so MS gone and bought all.

Taking the opinion of a single disgruntled ex-employee is hardly the way to look history.

I'm no defender of MS and I know they had made several bad decisions and studio management was among the main for me. I just wanted to correct the two or three misconceptions you had over it.

Mr Puggsly said:

1440p is already fairly common on X1X and PS4 Pro and it looks fine. There is also new tech that apparently uses dynamic resolution on areas of the screen that need less detail. Resource efficient ideas can help Lockhart maintain an overall sharp image, atleast less glaring then some would expect compared to more powerful hardware.

Right now, it appears Sony will only have one model of PS5 and affordability is likely a focus. I dont think having 30% less power really matters. It won't make a world of difference. But we will see.

Kinect Sports didnt have any bundling I'm really aware of. No mass bundling at least. Kinect Adventures was bundled with every unit. Kinect Sports 2 sold less, but it seems like every Rare sequel sells less, it was their trend.

1440p internal resolution sure, but it is upscaled to 4k to show on the screen (I have alluded to that), and yes the level of fidelity of PS4Pro/X1X is certainly very good for most people. The problem I have with the strategy people say MS will go for (let's dismiss Lockhart at 1080p) is that a Lockhart at 299 and XSX at 499 competing against PS5 399 with the first being 100 cheaper but less than half power and the other being 30% more powerful for 100 more will make PS5 look like an incredible deal on the middle ground. But sure I can be wrong on it.

If KA was the bundled and KS not them I stand corrected.

Mr Puggsly said:

Hehe, I do like Gears and Halo. It also doesent take a significant amount of time to play them. I would like to see Sony create a good shooter that passes the test of time but it hasnt quite happened yet, period.

Forza has actually evolved significantly. How many other sim racers have turned into critically acclaimed open world games? The Horizon games are likely more popular then the sim games ever were.

I am actually bored talking to you, its just you bitching about Xbox content. The thing is I like Sony and MS for different reasons in regard to 1st party games.

Killzone is fairly competent shooter, but yes Sony doesn't have anything of the appraisal of Halo or Gears exclusive. I don't like FPS but I agree Sony needs one to keep the diversity of offering.

I agree that Sony doesn't have a great exclusive FPS. I actually played the hell out of Planetside 2, though. That game had amazing potential if you ask me. Halo 1 was revolutionary for its time and it's still a good fps, it just lost its appeal a bit over the years. Gears was also great when it just came out but after 5 parts, I think the novelty of chainsawing aliens in half has run its course and there isn't much of a story to tell anymore. 

We will see what happens next gen, but my guess is that Sony will come up with more new ip's. Some will be great and some will probably suck, but at least Sony has the balls to try new things. You have to admit that pitching games like Death Stranding or Dreams to MS would be pretty damn hard.  



Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

Pretty difficult to top Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3 and Killer Instinct on the SNES... And then beat Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong and Conker on the Nintendo 64.

RARE's titles haven't been bad on the Xbox, if anything I think they are criminally underrated most of the time, but they certainly haven't been leading the industry. - In saying that, the industry is very different than the SNES/N64 era anyway, lots more competition.

As I just mentioned Kinect Sports might be their 3rd best selling games, at least according to this site.

Rare's Xbox games aren't bad. They don't get the praise as their N64 work but I feel they've aged better.

I enjoyed some of their 8 and 16 bit stuff, while most of their N64 stuff never felt good to me. But I did enjoy some of their Xbox stuff, Banjo N&B is fucking great. I played a ton of KI (2013), I haven't played much Sea of Thieves but its a big hit.

Kinect Sports is... Well. Yeah. Pass.

exclusive_console said:

Comparing previous gen to current with same CU is going to give lot more performance according to AMD. So tflops number can be misleading.  Lockhart if exist and is 4tf is going outperform the current X. If the new X is 12tf RDNA that is very powerful. Even PS5 9.2tf is big jump compared to the current gen console than the tf number suggest.

Flops are flops. It is simply floating point arithmetic.
If you give GCN a compute-only task, they can perform exceptionally well, even beating RDNA, but switch over to a video game and RDNA pulls ahead, why would that might be you ask? Because games need more than just single precision floating point arithmetic to run... There is a whole GPU sitting behind it.

RDNA and GCN also operate under the same instruction set, RDNA is actually a hybrid design taking GCN and RDNA 2.

Mr Puggsly said:

Killer Instinct (2013) would have reviewed well over time. The critics just looked at the launch version though which was more like a demo of content. Sea of Thieves was a critical failure, yet it was successful even at launch. So the opinions of critics aren't always crucial.

Killer Instinct was mis-managed from the get go.
In saying that, it's a very solid title today, probably one of the better fighters of this generation in my opinion.

Alcyon said:

When were the Halo's games released on PC again?

Halo: Combat Evolved. - 15th November, 2001.
Halo 2 Vista. - 9th November, 2004.
Halo Spartan Assault. - 13th July, 2013.
Halo Spartan Strike. - 16th of April, 2015. (Never been available on Xbox!)
Halo Wars. - 20th December, 2016.
Halo Wars 2. - 21st Februrary, 2017.

Master Chief Collection is still underway of course which will bring Halo 1 Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, 4, ODST and Reach... Meaning Halo 5 will be the only Halo game not on PC in it's entirety.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mr Puggsly said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

I still don't understand why do you operate with all this "unrealistic" stuff when everyone else in the industry does this except Microsoft. Sony, Nintendo, Valve, they all spend lots of resources to expand to new markets even though it probably won't work. But it does work for them I guess just because they really try. MS also was good in terms of it in 360 era, all they had to do is just continue doing the same stuff and of course not having the disastrous launch of Xbox One. It is really stupid to say that for company like Nintendo it is realistic but unrealistic for Microsoft which is way bigger and has lots of resources to do so. As I've already said, relying on just selling their own games through Steam in some markets and basically not give a thing about trying to support Xbox platform there is a huge missed opportunity and a lots of revenue lost. It is just impossible to gain as much money as they can from their own service through Steam XGS games sales. Because also you should keep in mind that 30% cut that Steam takes and regional prices (half of console game price or even less) in the countries where Steam usually dominates (basically, the territories, that you propose to give up and not even try there). And yeah, if we take Japan as an example, I think that in this case, it would be even easier for MS to get them interested in Xbox platform and services thatn in games like Halo, Gears, etc. on Steam.

Nintendo and Sony aren't that relevant beyond the NA, Europe and Japan.

According to this site about 4/5 of PS4 sales are just in the NA, Europe and Japan. For Switch is more like 7/8. For X1, 8/9. Ultimately, a vast majority of all console sales are just in three regions.

It absolutely makes sense for Valve to focus internationally given much of that fucking market is using a PC and Windows. This is why I keep saying MS putting its games on PC is a great way to get more international sales that Xbox consoles never could.

I honestly only read the first sentence because that's all it took for me to realize you have no clue what I am saying.

EDIT: Just to put it in perspective. According to this site, Xbox One has sold 29.1 million in NA. While PS4, X1 and Switch have sold 29.32 million in "Rest of World."

Okay, if you decided to bring up VGC numbers, let's break down all the PS and Xbox consoles then:

PS1 - 9.04m ROTW (102.5m total) - 8.8% of the global

PS2 - 25.57m ROTW (157.68m total) - 16.2% of the global (almost double of what PS1 did)

PS3 - 12.53m ROTW (87.41m total) - 14.3% of the global (a bit down from PS2 but it was very expensive from the start and not as easy to pirate games as PS2)

PS4 - 18.64m ROTW (105.95m total) - 17.5% of the global (even better than PS2. A lot of sales made outside of the markets you mentioned)

So, with PS consoles, it is quite easy to see that Sony's work is paying off and the second - they are probably losing some marketshare to PC platform in the markets that you claim to be so focused on console gaming. Basically, the opposite of what you see to claim. US, Europe, Japan adopting PC, while ROTW adopting consoles (PC as well of course). But there is definitely a market for consoles in ROTW. And PS consoles sales confirm this.

Okay, let's move on to Xbox:

Xbox - 1.18m ROTW (24.65m total) - 4.8% of the global

Xbox 360 - 9.16m ROTW (85.8m total) - 10.7% of the global (more than double of what original did)

Xbox One - 4.69m ROTW (46.3m total) - 10.1% of the global (almost the same as 360 even though all games are on PC now and MS fucked up launch in these territories so badly)

So, it all bring us to 10% of the marketshare in the markets that you propose for MS to ignore. I don't even want to try to explain to you that with a better approach these numbers can rise even higher. But 10% is quite a big chunk of the market that is hard to ignore, so your argument about abandoning such markets and not taking them seriously is totally incorrect.



 

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like the story is a little different.

If Rare was independent they would have closed due to a big streak of low selling games, MS kept they alive. Also they were the ones that wanted to try something different and asked to work on Kinect and MS allowed.

Rare was hot shit before MS bought them in 2002 and MS ruined them basically so Nintendo couldn't have their games. Just read this if you don't believe me.

"Rare was always looking East at Japanese and Nintendo's games in particular, with their open-hearted childlike vibrancy and playfulness," explains Hollis. "Meanwhile, Microsoft had a US-centric style to its games, a flair of machismo and testosterone. For the first decade after the Microsoft sale the major problem for the creativity of the studio has been direction. Looking in from the outside it felt as if neither Microsoft or Rare could work out where it was headed."

From the inside the studio's gates, too, the changes to Rare introduced by Microsoft tampered with the recipe of the company's success, leaving teams feeling disorientated, and even downcast.

"For me personally, the atmosphere became much more stifling and a lot more stressful," he says. "There was an overall feeling that you weren't really in control of what you were doing and that you weren't really trusted either.

"There was also a gradual introduction of certain Microsoft behaviours that crept into the way we did things: lots more meetings, performance reviews and far more regard for your position within the company," he said."

Lets face it, MS isn't great with handling their studios. Of the 10 studios MS has acquired over the past 20 years, five have been closed, and two are still around but separated.

Well, MS definitely wasn't great with handling first party studios in the past, but I wouldn't put the blame for Rare's decline on them. I think it has more to do with lots of key stuff leaving even before MS acquisition. Just everything lied up in the way that the next game after lots of key stuff leaving was already published under Microsoft so it is easy to put all the blame on them.



 

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

You are putting the blame on the wrong horse.

Nintendo had the opportunity to buy the studio (they had 50% at the time) but weren't interested so MS gone and bought all.

Taking the opinion of a single disgruntled ex-employee is hardly the way to look history.

I'm no defender of MS and I know they had made several bad decisions and studio management was among the main for me. I just wanted to correct the two or three misconceptions you had over it.

1440p internal resolution sure, but it is upscaled to 4k to show on the screen (I have alluded to that), and yes the level of fidelity of PS4Pro/X1X is certainly very good for most people. The problem I have with the strategy people say MS will go for (let's dismiss Lockhart at 1080p) is that a Lockhart at 299 and XSX at 499 competing against PS5 399 with the first being 100 cheaper but less than half power and the other being 30% more powerful for 100 more will make PS5 look like an incredible deal on the middle ground. But sure I can be wrong on it.

If KA was the bundled and KS not them I stand corrected.

Killzone is fairly competent shooter, but yes Sony doesn't have anything of the appraisal of Halo or Gears exclusive. I don't like FPS but I agree Sony needs one to keep the diversity of offering.

I agree that Sony doesn't have a great exclusive FPS. I actually played the hell out of Planetside 2, though. That game had amazing potential if you ask me. Halo 1 was revolutionary for its time and it's still a good fps, it just lost its appeal a bit over the years. Gears was also great when it just came out but after 5 parts, I think the novelty of chainsawing aliens in half has run its course and there isn't much of a story to tell anymore. 

We will see what happens next gen, but my guess is that Sony will come up with more new ip's. Some will be great and some will probably suck, but at least Sony has the balls to try new things. You have to admit that pitching games like Death Stranding or Dreams to MS would be pretty damn hard.  

MS has funded a bunch of new IPs this gen in various genres.

Off the top of my head, Cuphead, Ori, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ashen, Lococycle, a Panzer Dragoon clone, Recore, Ryse, Project Spark and Sea of Thieves.

Those games vary from meh to great. I think the real problem MS hasnt created enough AAA content that feels really ambitious. If MS made a couple notable open world games this gen, I think people would feel better about MS's 1st party lineup. However, 3rd parties made a lot of notable content like that.

I like that Sony creates big AAA story driven games, but I am a little bored of them constantly making that. It makes me yearn for action and gameplay focused stuff like Gears and Halo, or even Crackdown 3. However, Sony didnt have to make great shooters relying on 3rd parties. This gen Sony has bundled Star Wars BF, CoD and Destiny.

Anyway, I dont just care about new IPs. Taking an old IP making something great out of that can be satisfying as well.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

derpysquirtle64 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Nintendo and Sony aren't that relevant beyond the NA, Europe and Japan.

According to this site about 4/5 of PS4 sales are just in the NA, Europe and Japan. For Switch is more like 7/8. For X1, 8/9. Ultimately, a vast majority of all console sales are just in three regions.

It absolutely makes sense for Valve to focus internationally given much of that fucking market is using a PC and Windows. This is why I keep saying MS putting its games on PC is a great way to get more international sales that Xbox consoles never could.

I honestly only read the first sentence because that's all it took for me to realize you have no clue what I am saying.

EDIT: Just to put it in perspective. According to this site, Xbox One has sold 29.1 million in NA. While PS4, X1 and Switch have sold 29.32 million in "Rest of World."

Okay, if you decided to bring up VGC numbers, let's break down all the PS and Xbox consoles then:

PS1 - 9.04m ROTW (102.5m total) - 8.8% of the global

PS2 - 25.57m ROTW (157.68m total) - 16.2% of the global (almost double of what PS1 did)

PS3 - 12.53m ROTW (87.41m total) - 14.3% of the global (a bit down from PS2 but it was very expensive from the start and not as easy to pirate games as PS2)

PS4 - 18.64m ROTW (105.95m total) - 17.5% of the global (even better than PS2. A lot of sales made outside of the markets you mentioned)

So, with PS consoles, it is quite easy to see that Sony's work is paying off and the second - they are probably losing some marketshare to PC platform in the markets that you claim to be so focused on console gaming. Basically, the opposite of what you see to claim. US, Europe, Japan adopting PC, while ROTW adopting consoles (PC as well of course). But there is definitely a market for consoles in ROTW. And PS consoles sales confirm this.

Okay, let's move on to Xbox:

Xbox - 1.18m ROTW (24.65m total) - 4.8% of the global

Xbox 360 - 9.16m ROTW (85.8m total) - 10.7% of the global (more than double of what original did)

Xbox One - 4.69m ROTW (46.3m total) - 10.1% of the global (almost the same as 360 even though all games are on PC now and MS fucked up launch in these territories so badly)

So, it all bring us to 10% of the marketshare in the markets that you propose for MS to ignore. I don't even want to try to explain to you that with a better approach these numbers can rise even higher. But 10% is quite a big chunk of the market that is hard to ignore, so your argument about abandoning such markets and not taking them seriously is totally incorrect.

I never actually said MS should ignore or abandon those markets, I just wouldnt enocurage MS to pour significant resources there. Instead, keep making great content intended for the west, make competitively priced hardware like Lockhart and hope the best elsewhere. More importantly moves like that could help them thrive in the west.

For the most part it just looks like Sony took MS's marketshare from last gen. It hasnt actually grown significantly. Also, Sony is just making games the west enjoys and hopes for the best elsewhere.

Lastly, I think we all agree putting Xbox games on PC means more people will play their games. If many around the world are gaming on PCs, then porting games to PC should boost sales. That's hardly ignoring or abandoning hose markets.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)