Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

And again, the big picture is they can reach more people on Xbox and Windows combined. They reach more that way than Xbox ever could alone.

Bigger software revenue means more funding and prokects become less risky, more people to push Gamepass on, xCloud will likely be used to push Gamepass as well.

In saying that... I am finding less incentive to buy an Xbox or Playstation these days as the majority of titles are on PC.

It was exclusives like Fable and Halo that got me to buy an Original Xbox, it was Halo 3, Perfect Dark, Fable 2, Gears of War that got me to buy an Xbox 360 and it was Killer Instinct, Halo 5 that got me to buy an Xbox One.

If they release everything on PC, I am not going to be buying an Xbox or Playstation, I am not going to pay for Gold/PSN, I am not going to pay for Gamepass, I am not going to purchase other titles (Remember, Microsoft and Sony gets a cut from every game sold on the consoles which doesn't happen on PC), I am not going to buy accessories.
This console generation I have probably bought the least amount of games for any Xbox console to date, that's right I own more OG Xbox titles, which had a smaller game library than the Xbox One.

I get and understand Microsoft's strategy and as a PC gamer I give them credit for supporting the PC more and even appreciate it, they have historically been shit at supporting the PC, but I definitely believe that it comes at the cost of the Xbox platform as a whole...

Either way, Microsoft releasing games on PC isn't a guarantee that I will purchase said games anyway, Halo Wars 2 missed out on a sale because it wasn't on Steam for example.

Still, there is a ton of room with next-gen coming for Microsoft to impress and make me pick up a Xbox Series X... Until then I am finding more value in Nintendo's devices when it comes to console gaming at the moment... And that is saying something.

There are a lot of anecdotal stories about people like yourself that will no longer buy Xbox.

But again, the big picture is there may be more revenue appealing to the large PC audience that wouldnt buy consoles or a Xbox period.

Thus far, there just isnt much evidence supporting PC hurts console sales in a big way. Especially when multiplat games keep doing great on Playstation and Xbox.

Often times multiplat games are even used as bundle software onXbox and Playstation. Go figure!



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Mr Puggsly said:

And again, the big picture is they can reach more people on Xbox and Windows combined. They reach more that way than Xbox ever could alone.

Bigger software revenue means more funding and prokects become less risky, more people to push Gamepass on, xCloud will likely be used to push Gamepass as well.

When did gamepass launched? After how long are they planing on keeping that $1 promo going? after a point a profit should be made dont you think?

I really think untill they say how many actual subcribed members they have who pay a full price, can we say if they are gaining any headway. Like it was said before, if for $1 i can try it for a month, play the one game that interested me and never look back, just seems shady to me that MS sees that as a succes and counts it as a "download" of said game as if its the only metric that counts.

You're making an a bad assumption. You have the impression everybody using Gamepass did so for $1 and somehow everybody stays on the service for $1 a month.

Two things, Phil essentially said it has millions of subscribers, they claim its a great success and games generate revenue from actual sales as well.

Your definition of shady seems to be incorrect. That implies MS is misleading people to subscribe or something. Giving download numbers simply shows people are engaged with their software.

I remember people assumed PS Now had millions of subscribers. Eventually Sony did release the numbers in a report and it was under a million. So why is hard to believe Gamepass could have millions of subscribers when its highly praised for offering AAA content at launch?



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

trasharmdsister12 said:

goopy20 said:

So what if GOW had a bunch of spin offs? Fact remains that people haven't lost interested in the GOW because Sony hasn't over exposed the franchise and they successfully turned the game in a fresh direction on the ps4. Generally speaking though, Sony isn't afraid to let successful franchises die and gives developers the creative freedom to try new things. I mean, do you honestly believe there would be a TLOU if MS owned Naughty Dog? I'm pretty sure we would have had 6 Uncharted games by now if that was the case. 

Again, not really taking a side in the argument. Just pointing out some misinformation.... And there have been 6 Uncharted games plus a re-release collection and a mobile game.

They are just trying to make some side money making more games using the same IP.

That has absolutely nothing to do with milking an IP.

On a side note, why do people argue against milking IPs? Many of the best selling games this gen are old IPs. An IP is not really a measurment of a game's quality.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
goopy20 said:

So what if GOW had a bunch of spin offs? Fact remains that people haven't lost interested in the GOW because Sony hasn't over exposed the franchise and they successfully turned the game in a fresh direction on the ps4. Generally speaking though, Sony isn't afraid to let successful franchises die and gives developers the creative freedom to try new things. I mean, do you honestly believe there would be a TLOU if MS owned Naughty Dog? I'm pretty sure we would have had 6 Uncharted games by now if that was the case. 

You're trying to have it both ways.

Those are not spin offs, those three GoW games youre ignoring are GoW games that add to the story and use the same lead character.

Kratos can be milked because he's essentially a super hero, a god or whatever. He killed Greek gods, I guess he fights Norse gods now, eventually he will smash up pyramids and punch Jesus.

Nathan Drake can't be used the same so Uncharted kinda has to go away unless they want to make more prequels or a game about grandpa Drake. The world on its own is not interesting.

It doesn't really matter how many GOW spin offs there were. Look at the whole history of the Xbox brand you tell me how many successful AAA IP's MS managed to come up with? It's basically Halo, Forza, Gears and maybe Fable. Except for Gears, all those games game out on the OG Xbox. Now compare that to the AAA ip's that have come and gone on Sony's platform, and you tell me who has historically been doing a way better job? Like I said, either MS lacks the creativity or they just don't want to take risks.

You're right about Uncharted, though. It's a flagship title for Sony but the story came to an end and they decided to put it to rest and move on. Gears and Halo's story has came to an end 3 games ago. But even when the original developers moved away from those franchises MS decided to put half of their 1st party studios into keeping those franchises alive.  



Mr Puggsly said:

There are a lot of anecdotal stories about people like yourself that will no longer buy Xbox.

I never said I won't be buying an Xbox, there is just less incentive to buy one.
I will buy whatever next-gen console has the best hardware, brand name be damned.

Mr Puggsly said:

But again, the big picture is there may be more revenue appealing to the large PC audience that wouldnt buy consoles or a Xbox period.

Microsoft is trying to sell services, that isn't going to work on PC. PC is all about Steam.

Fact is, there is less appeal in buying an Xbox if you can get all your games on PC... And Microsoft encouraging non-microsoft owned developers to port games to PC is just even less reason to buy an Xbox and even less potential revenue Microsoft misses out on.

Besides, contrary to popular belief... Many PC gamers also own consoles, why would a PC gamer own a PC and an Xbox? They wouldn't. - But there is certainly reasons for owning a PC and a Switch and to a lesser extent... A Playstation 4. (Even the bulk of that consoles library is on PC as well)

Mr Puggsly said:

Thus far, there just isnt much evidence supporting PC hurts console sales in a big way. Especially when multiplat games keep doing great on Playstation and Xbox.

Microsoft knows what it is doing, they aren't a 1.2 Trillion dollar company for nothing.

I can only provide my own anecdotes, much like yourself on this front.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

No matter what, ps5 is coming to my house.
And thats it. No Xbox, no PC , no Nintendo, no smartphone, no stadia. Im a PS gamer.



Here is my take:

In 3-4 years, there will be a refresh of these machines. Buy the cheapest option available to play the exclusive games; after all, you'll be talking about their upgraded versions pretty soon anyways. There is no reason to spend 500+ on these machines unless you want bragging rights on how not to be frugal with money, and you are willing to spend that money again soon.

For me, I'll probably get a really cheap PS4 Pro/Xbox Elite soon after everyone upgrades to the PS5/X1SX just to see how well Sony/Microsoft were able to engineer the cooling/VR/Ray tracing on these machines. The first year these new consoles are going to be out, the consumers are really buying into future promises and testing out how well the hardware is made. I'll let my young gaming brothers and sisters deal with the beta testing, and I'll probably get it cheaper the next year on a Black Friday special.



goopy20 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're trying to have it both ways.

Those are not spin offs, those three GoW games youre ignoring are GoW games that add to the story and use the same lead character.

Kratos can be milked because he's essentially a super hero, a god or whatever. He killed Greek gods, I guess he fights Norse gods now, eventually he will smash up pyramids and punch Jesus.

Nathan Drake can't be used the same so Uncharted kinda has to go away unless they want to make more prequels or a game about grandpa Drake. The world on its own is not interesting.

It doesn't really matter how many GOW spin offs there were. Look at the whole history of the Xbox brand you tell me how many successful AAA IP's MS managed to come up with? It's basically Halo, Forza, Gears and maybe Fable. Except for Gears, all those games game out on the OG Xbox. Now compare that to the AAA ip's that have come and gone on Sony's platform, and you tell me who has historically been doing a way better job? Like I said, either MS lacks the creativity or they just don't want to take risks.

You're right about Uncharted, though. It's a flagship title for Sony but the story came to an end and they decided to put it to rest and move on. Gears and Halo's story has came to an end 3 games ago. But even when the original developers moved away from those franchises MS decided to put half of their 1st party studios into keeping those franchises alive.  

Again, those GoW titles you call spin offs are not spin offs. They are simply GoW games.

I agree Sony has done a great job making new IPs, it comes partly out necessity though. They needed to make new IPs because their old ones weren't that interesting anymore. What bugs me is Sony keeps making story driven 3rd person adventure games and I find that kinda boring. But its successful so I can't argue with them beating that horse.

Bungie moved away from Halo because they didn't own it. They simply created a Halo clone with RPG elements.

Something you may find interesting is Epic was actually working on Gears 4 before MS purchased the IP. Not only were they working on it, but many of the ideas were used in the game Coalition created. Taking that into consideration its possible Epic would have done something with Gears if MS did not buy it. However, I don't think Epic has really made a single player or story driven game in years.

When it comes to Halo and Gears, there are tons of stories they could do just in those worlds. Uncharted can't really do that though, those games are about Nathan Drake. GoW can't do that either, because nobody cares about that world beyond Kratos. Games like Halo, Gears and Fable don't have to rely on the same protagonist per se.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There are a lot of anecdotal stories about people like yourself that will no longer buy Xbox.

I never said I won't be buying an Xbox, there is just less incentive to buy one.
I will buy whatever next-gen console has the best hardware, brand name be damned.

Mr Puggsly said:

But again, the big picture is there may be more revenue appealing to the large PC audience that wouldnt buy consoles or a Xbox period.

Microsoft is trying to sell services, that isn't going to work on PC. PC is all about Steam.

Fact is, there is less appeal in buying an Xbox if you can get all your games on PC... And Microsoft encouraging non-microsoft owned developers to port games to PC is just even less reason to buy an Xbox and even less potential revenue Microsoft misses out on.

Besides, contrary to popular belief... Many PC gamers also own consoles, why would a PC gamer own a PC and an Xbox? They wouldn't. - But there is certainly reasons for owning a PC and a Switch and to a lesser extent... A Playstation 4. (Even the bulk of that consoles library is on PC as well)

Mr Puggsly said:

Thus far, there just isnt much evidence supporting PC hurts console sales in a big way. Especially when multiplat games keep doing great on Playstation and Xbox.

Microsoft knows what it is doing, they aren't a 1.2 Trillion dollar company for nothing.

I can only provide my own anecdotes, much like yourself on this front.

Okay, then you will buy Xbox even if all their games are on PC. But I still feel many avid PC gamers weren't going to buy a Xbox under any circumstance.

In western countries, I imagine people having a gaming PC and a current gen consoles is somewhat common. Globally many PC gamers are not using consoles for various reasons. Either way, there is a larger audience MS can reach supporting PC than Xbox could ever alone.

MS isn't just in the services business, they also rely on revenue generated by software sales. Hence, their sales can increase from PC support and they can push Gamepass there as well.

Steam is still the king of digital gaming sales, but there are other stores selling popular games not found on Steam. Therefore PC gamers are becoming accustom to using programs beyond Steam. More people are now using the Microsoft Store because it has great games being added, but MS still adds some games to Steam to generate revenue.

I am not really giving anecdotes. Perhaps I am give assumptions, but not anecdotes.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Latest from Komachi, apparently one of the SOCs had 3 more significant revisions since leak, that's potentially giant news and seems to confirm other rumors that Sony had made substantial changes recently.
As long as it's still related to Oberon (which likely is), then the old specs are completely non representative of the final hardware.
I'm a lot more hopeful now, but let's see.