Forums - PC Discussion - Next Gen has arrived, PC gamer also need an upgrade. Xbox Series X specs will be the minimum requirement for next 7 years

So Xbox Series X has been announce and it has 12 teraflop RDNA performance that's equal to RTX 2080 Super more or less, plus Ryzen 3000 8 core 16 thread and SSD Nvme as standard. I bet what we see is the new bare minimum for  multiplatform games that will be coming to, Windows Store,  Steam , Epic Store , GOG , etc etc. 

But to mitigate some bad port games, usually it's saver to  upgrade to a slightly better hardware then the consoles spec, of course as PC gamer if you want playing on PC is better buying more expensives part then the consoles,  because you buy PC to have more than just games that look the same, but want to have better performance than the consoles.

So minimum requirement are:

GPU Nvidia 2080 super  is bare minimum but if you want more premium it's probably buy 2080 Ti or wait for AMD RX 5800 or RX 5900 or perhaps wait for Ampere with 3080 or 3080 Ti.

CPU probably going to be big, 8 core , 16 thread will be standard and minimum requirement 

SSD perhaps a little bit leeway , but Nvme should be the most obvious although SATA 3 is still playable but SSD is must for next gen, 

For RAM , i think 16 to 32GB of DDR4 RAM is suffice for now.  

Of course that if you are looking for 4K gaming, there is still be some people who play on 1440p or even 1080p. But Next year Nvidia will release new GPU based on 7nm+ , we will see new standard even on PC gaming. 4k will be standard 

So prepare your money 



Around the Network

Some people keep saying this... except all evidence points to it never happening.

PC games didn't start needing 16 times more RAM when the PS4 and the Xbox One released. Neither did they become six to eight threaded with the PS3 or the X360. There is no magical leap in requirements for multiplatform games. This is basically a gaming myth.

Of course, some will then mumble "but muh cross gen titles" except by the time these are done and gone the PC requirements have climbed, yes, but not more than they climb during your average 2 - 4 year span.



 

 

 

 

 

HollyGamer said:

So Xbox Series X has been announce and it has 12 teraflop RDNA performance

Has Microsoft officially announced the 12 TB or is it just guesswork?

that's equal to RTX 2080 Super more or less, plus Ryzen 3000 8 core 16 thread and SSD Nvme as standard.

We'll have to wait how performance turns out, don't we? Wouldn't be the first time when hardware in a smaller case performs worse than the same hardware in a bigger case due to thermal constraints.

I bet what we see is the new bare minimum for multiplatform games that will be coming to, Windows Store,  Steam , Epic Store , GOG , etc etc.

There is a wide spectrum of multiplatform games with different minimal and recommended specs. There ain't "one size fits all".



haxxiy said:

Some people keep saying this... except all evidence points to it never happening.

PC games didn't start needing 16 times more RAM when the PS4 and the Xbox One released. Neither did they become six to eight threaded with the PS3 or the X360. There is no magical leap in requirements for multiplatform games. This is basically a gaming myth.

Of course, some will then mumble "but muh cross gen titles" except by the time these are done and gone the PC requirements have climbed, yes, but not more than they climb during your average 2 - 4 year span.

When PS4/Xbox One was announced, many new games and multiplatform games requirement for RAM are 8GB , most of it. 

PS3 and Xbox 360 was different from X86 and at that time PC just begun the era of dual core so we cannot compare directly. PS4 and Xbox One tho using 8 core it's still using very slow and weak netbook CPU hell it's even weaker than i3 from 2013.

Xbox SX and PS5 will be different , they will come with a legit Ryzen X3700 as minimum. 



Conina said:
HollyGamer said:

So Xbox Series X has been announce and it has 12 teraflop RDNA performance

Has Microsoft officially announced the 12 TB or is it just guesswork?

that's equal to RTX 2080 Super more or less, plus Ryzen 3000 8 core 16 thread and SSD Nvme as standard.

We'll have to wait how performance turns out, don't we? Wouldn't be the first time when hardware in a smaller case performs worse than the same hardware in a bigger case due to thermal constraints.

I bet what we see is the new bare minimum for multiplatform games that will be coming to, Windows Store,  Steam , Epic Store , GOG , etc etc.

There is a wide spectrum of multiplatform games with different minimal and recommended specs. There ain't "one size fits all".

It's not guess work, some legit insider from Reset Er, The Verge , Kotaku and even Brad Sam from Windows Central already confirmed  it's more powerful then 2080 and it's 2 time Xbox One X number but 8 to 9 times then Xbox One s performance, leading to conclusion around 12 teraflop Navi Number. Even we have the article already

Agree but to run a next gen games that build specially for Anaconda A.K.A Series X like Sanua , i bet it need powerful GPU. 



Around the Network
HollyGamer said:

When PS4/Xbox One was announced, many new games and multiplatform games requirement for RAM are 8GB , most of it.

PC specs do not suddenly jump when a new generation of consoles come out. PC Specs are always gradually rising. Add in the fact that cross-gen games will be around for a few years... yeah these won't be "minimum specs" for a very long time.



I agree. I currently have a 1060GTX and I'm pretty sure that I will need to upgrade.



Barkley said:
HollyGamer said:

When PS4/Xbox One was announced, many new games and multiplatform games requirement for RAM are 8GB , most of it.

PC specs do not suddenly jump when a new generation of consoles come out. PC Specs are always gradually rising. Add in the fact that cross-gen games will be around for a few years... yeah these won't be "minimum specs" for a very long time.

True if you want playing cross gen games that coming to PS4/Xbox One or even MOBA and Free to play games and Indies games

But to run games that specifically build for Xbox Series X, then equal spec is bare minimum, unless you want to run like crap. 



well xbox will propably run all those games in 4k so those with 1080p or 1440p screen on pc wouldn't need just huge jump. I'm still fine with 1080p. my rx 580 will do until I get a rx 5700 or better some day.



ruffy37 said:

well xbox will propably run all those games in 4k so those with 1080p or 1440p screen on pc wouldn't need just huge jump. I'm still fine with 1080p. my rx 580 will do until I get a rx 5700 or better some day.

I think the cross gen games will be native 4k but the second wave next gen games will probably stick to 1080p. There are still way too many people who don't own a 4k tv. Besides native 4k is a huge waste of resources as people will hardly be able to tell the difference when gaming on a tv.