Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo of America: "Nintendo Switch achieves its best sales week ever in the U.S."

Businesswire has posted a press release that was sent to media outlets by Nintendo of America. All figures are sell-through, but pay attention whether they denote U.S. or Americas; the former are sales in the USA alone, the latter are sales across the entirety of North and South America. Because all figures are based on Nintendo's internal data, the software numbers include digital sales.

Over Thanksgiving week (Nov. 24 to Nov. 30), the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems sold a combined total of more than 830,000 units in the U.S., according to internal data. This ranks as the single best week of U.S. sales in Nintendo Switch history. These results were bolstered in part by the recently introduced Nintendo Switch Lite system and a variety of Black Friday offers, such as a Nintendo Switch bundle that included a full game download of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game at no additional charge. Total sales of Nintendo Switch in the Americas have reached 17.5 million units.

In addition to hardware, Nintendo Switch software also sold well over Thanksgiving week. In only a few weeks since launch, the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games have now sold a combined total of more than 3 million in the Americas. Other Nintendo Switch games also passed new life-to-date sales milestones in the Americas, including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 8.5 million,Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at 8 million, Super Mario Odyssey at 6.5 million and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe at 1.5 million.*

*All sales figures from Nintendo internal data.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Console Records for USA BF Week:

360 - 1061k (2011)
PS4 - 927k (2017)
DS - 891k (2009)
Switch - 830k (2019)
XBO - 809k (2017)
Wii - 766k (2008)
PS3 - 499k (2011)
3DS - 495k (2011)
WiiU - 421k (2012)
PSP - 221k (2008)
Vita - 143k (2012)

Last edited by Barkley - on 04 December 2019

LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Interesting. If we assume that the Switch was averaging ~75-80k/week for earlier in the fall, and got triple that for Pokemon week, then we could be looking at over 1.2M for the month. Now, last year the Switch sold 1356k, so 1.2M is probably an underestimation considered that the last week of this November was the best week ever for the Switch, and we saw a main-series Pokemon game (S&S had to have moved more hardware than Let's Go). We could be looking at something closer to 1.5M for the whole month..



Shadow1980 said:
Interesting. If we assume that the Switch was averaging ~75-80k/week for earlier in the fall, and got triple that for Pokemon week, then we could be looking at over 1.2M for the month. Now, last year the Switch sold 1356k, so 1.2M is probably an underestimation considered that the last week of this November was the best week ever for the Switch, and we saw a main-series Pokemon game (S&S had to have moved more hardware than Let's Go). We could be looking at something closer to 1.5M for the whole month..

Don't know if November is counted as 4 or 5 weeks. But VGC figures for last 4 weeks give 1.53m total for NA. So just USA is probably around 1.32m for those 4 weeks.

Last 5 weeks would be - NA:1.64m, USA:~1.42m



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

It's really telling how stronger November has become in this gen compared to the previous ones, specially BF Week. Seeing Wii best BF only at 586k is really weird.....



Around the Network
colafitte said:
It's really telling how stronger November has become in this gen compared to the previous ones, specially BF Week. Seeing Wii best BF only at 586k is really weird.....

Double checked and I made a mistake, looked at week before BF for 2008 USA only. So it's best year was 766k in 2008, not 586k in 2010 lol.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Barkley said:
Shadow1980 said:
Interesting. If we assume that the Switch was averaging ~75-80k/week for earlier in the fall, and got triple that for Pokemon week, then we could be looking at over 1.2M for the month. Now, last year the Switch sold 1356k, so 1.2M is probably an underestimation considered that the last week of this November was the best week ever for the Switch, and we saw a main-series Pokemon game (S&S had to have moved more hardware than Let's Go). We could be looking at something closer to 1.5M for the whole month..

Don't know if November is counted as 4 or 5 weeks. But VGC figures for last 4 weeks give 1.53m total for NA. So just USA is probably around 1.32m for those 4 weeks.

Last 5 weeks would be - NA:1.64m, USA:~1.42m

November is always four weeks. This year's period ends on November 30th, so it excludes Cyber Monday that fell into the November period in 2018. That's why year over year growth in NPD sales is expected to be limited for Switch.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Barkley said:
colafitte said:
It's really telling how stronger November has become in this gen compared to the previous ones, specially BF Week. Seeing Wii best BF only at 586k is really weird.....

Double checked and I made a mistake, looked at week before BF for 2008 USA only. So it's best year was 766k in 2008, not 586k in 2010 lol.

That makes more sense . Despite that, my point still stands, because we know how Wii did in December those years compared to November.



Barkley said:
colafitte said:
It's really telling how stronger November has become in this gen compared to the previous ones, specially BF Week. Seeing Wii best BF only at 586k is really weird.....

Double checked and I made a mistake, looked at week before BF for 2008 USA only. So it's best year was 766k in 2008, not 586k in 2010 lol.

That's still nuts.  Who would have guessed the follow up to the Wii U would have a stronger Black Friday than the Wii?



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

The boy is going strong as we expected but seeing the actual numbers(sell-through !) is really something I'm craving for.

Now, can we unofficially say that MK8D has surpassed the 20M sold ?



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909