Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W48, 2019 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

Marth said:
zorg1000 said:

Late ports of MHW & FF7R are possible. I dont think we will see many next-gen exclusives for awhile, most games will be cross-gen for the first 1-2 years.

I don't think late ports are enough. They sell rather poorly in Japan.

PS5 needs a killer app but I have no idea what it could be.

I don't think so either, just saying I think those could be their big Japan launch titles.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

This argument about whether switch is a handheld or home console in Japan can be answered by the sales. The original switch is outselling the lite in most weeks. That shows that the dockable version is still the most sought after model because it is also a HOME CONSOLE. It just took the right one to exploit the market, and the switch is that.so, the switch shows there is a viable home console market, AND a portable market... but the og switch is still selling better for a reason.... it's a console too, which still matters in japan.



SwitchUP said:
This argument about whether switch is a handheld or home console in Japan can be answered by the sales. The original switch is outselling the lite in most weeks. That shows that the dockable version is still the most sought after model because it is also a HOME CONSOLE. It just took the right one to exploit the market, and the switch is that.so, the switch shows there is a viable home console market, AND a portable market... but the og switch is still selling better for a reason.... it's a console too, which still matters in japan.

That seems like a bit of a strength. Sure there is a viable home console market in Japan, but it isn't very big and is shrinking every gen. Your principle conclusion from better OG Switch sales does not mean that people would rather have a home console than a portable, it means they'd rather have a portable console that CAN be played as a home console, and of course still there are plenty of people who are choosing to go portable only. And hybrid console that you can play on a TV or take portably is always a better choice than a home console alone or a portable alone unless you NEVER want to play anywhere but your couch. The OG Switch selling better than the Lite just says that Nintendo was dead on with this hybrid concept - that it was a slam dunk strategy and that even in a portable dominated market people will pay the premium to have the choice to play on a TV when at home.

Handheld market dominates Japan, but there is still a smaller console market, and the OG Switch serves both of those while the Lite allows those people who are pure handheld-gamers (some portion of the overall handheld market) to get it at a much cheaper price.



zorg1000 said:
Marth said:

I don't think late ports are enough. They sell rather poorly in Japan.

PS5 needs a killer app but I have no idea what it could be.

I don't think so either, just saying I think those could be their big Japan launch titles.

zorg1000 said:
Marth said:

I don't think late ports are enough. They sell rather poorly in Japan.

PS5 needs a killer app but I have no idea what it could be.

I don't think so either, just saying I think those could be their big Japan launch titles.

The ps4 had had every single big 3rd party title in japan that it could have ever asked for.... it didnt really help it there. It still sold mediocre. The ps5 will be very much the same. I wont pretend to know what it will take for it to have huge success in japan. It's a mountain to climb there.

Nintendo hit it on the head with the switch. Nintendo hasnt done too well with home consoles, but very strong with handhelds. The combo system sounds like the magic combo that will work. And, it may only work for them.

Either way, it doesnt matter in the end for Sony. They just dont need the Japanese market. It will still cruise beyond 100 million sold.

But, Nintendo needs japan, it's a big part of their business. I think the switch will roll by 100 million also. 



The Switch has decided to "Step on the gas"

* Cue Initial D music*

Amazing legs for the usual First party suspects ^^



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Nearly 2020 and we're still seeing "Switch is a handheld/console/hybrid" argument, c'mon guys, this dead horse has been beaten til there's nothing left but dust.



PS4 had literally no competition until the Switch came out, i really don't see the PS5 doing the same numbers as it since now Nintendo took back the monopoly.
I expect the same WW tbh, maybe not if they come up with something truly game changing but idk PS4 just had an open road in front of it and now there is competition again.



xMetroid said:
PS4 had literally no competition until the Switch came out, i really don't see the PS5 doing the same numbers as it since now Nintendo took back the monopoly.
I expect the same WW tbh, maybe not if they come up with something truly game changing but idk PS4 just had an open road in front of it and now there is competition again.

The PS4 had its best year the same year the Switch released.  And it wasn't like it released late in the year.  It had to compete with the Switch for almost 10 months that year, so that statement lacks any logical basis.  The problem is that the PS4 is 6 years old and is still $299, or only 25% lower than its launch price.  You think the Switch is still going to be pulling great numbers WW in 2023, even if it's $229?  It's not.

As far as Japan goes, it has been a handheld region for nearly two decades, now, so these results aren't that unexpected.  Even the extremely popular Wii only did 12.8M there, with the much more expensive PS3 doing 10.5M.  But, the 3DS, which won't even get close to 100M units sold WW, something the Wii passed, still was able to pull off 24.5M there.

The real thing to take away from both systems performance is that they don't really compete with each other.  PS4 sells to core gamers who prefer home consoles that can deliver power.  Switch sells to core and casual gamers who want gaming on the go, or as a secondary console to core home console owners.  The PS5, if priced well, will perform incredibly well, regardless of the Switch.  Those gamers who want a home console that is powerful enough to produce next gen games are not going to choose the much less powerful Switch as their main console going in 2020.  In fact, in mid to late 2021, when the PS5 will start to hit its stride, is when the Switch will start being seen as the old console on the market and we will start to see real declines. 



11. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 9,424 (1,163,778)
12. [PS4] Death Stranding (Limited Editions Included) (SIE, 11/08/19) – 8,183 (243,994)
13. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 7,832 (707,984)
14. [NSW] Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco, 07/25/19) – 7,574 (232,392)
15. [PS4] Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Deluxe Edition Included) (Electronic Arts, 11/15/19) – 5,582 (42,664)
16. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (SIE, 10/25/19) – 5,193 (192,544)
17. [PS4] Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate (Mages., 11/28/19) – 5,156 (New)
18. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 4,246 (3,194,509)
19. [NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco, 10/10/19) – 4,073 (71,229)
20. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (Limited Edition Included) (Square Enix, 09/27/19) – 4,025 (439,744)
21. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 3,819 (1,446,671)
22. [NSW] Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate (Mages., 11/28/19) – 3,327 (New)
23. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (01/11/19) – 3,303 (712,251)
24. [NSW] Fortnite Darkfire Bundle (Warner Bros. Japan, 11/07/19) – 3,187 (16,905)
25. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal (Limited Edition Included) (Atlus, 10/31/19) – 2,921 (235,138)
26. [PS4] Need for Speed: Heat (Electronic Arts, 11/08/19) – 2,828 (30,376)
27. [NSW] Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee! (Bundle Editions Included) (The Pokemon Company, 11/16/18) – 2,737 (1,667,216)
28. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous, 10/17/19) – 2,397 (104,157)
29. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 2,359 (388,283)
30. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (Konami, 06/27/19) – 2,267 (182,436)

Updated the OP with the Famitsu Top 30



nero said:
11. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 9,424 (1,163,778)
12. [PS4] Death Stranding (Limited Editions Included) (SIE, 11/08/19) – 8,183 (243,994)
13. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 7,832 (707,984)
14. [NSW] Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco, 07/25/19) – 7,574 (232,392)
15. [PS4] Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Deluxe Edition Included) (Electronic Arts, 11/15/19) – 5,582 (42,664)
16. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (SIE, 10/25/19) – 5,193 (192,544)
17. [PS4] Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate (Mages., 11/28/19) – 5,156 (New)
18. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 4,246 (3,194,509)
19. [NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco, 10/10/19) – 4,073 (71,229)
20. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (Limited Edition Included) (Square Enix, 09/27/19) – 4,025 (439,744)
21. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 3,819 (1,446,671)
22. [NSW] Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate (Mages., 11/28/19) – 3,327 (New)
23. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (01/11/19) – 3,303 (712,251)
24. [NSW] Fortnite Darkfire Bundle (Warner Bros. Japan, 11/07/19) – 3,187 (16,905)
25. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal (Limited Edition Included) (Atlus, 10/31/19) – 2,921 (235,138)
26. [PS4] Need for Speed: Heat (Electronic Arts, 11/08/19) – 2,828 (30,376)
27. [NSW] Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee! (Bundle Editions Included) (The Pokemon Company, 11/16/18) – 2,737 (1,667,216)
28. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous, 10/17/19) – 2,397 (104,157)
29. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 2,359 (388,283)
30. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (Konami, 06/27/19) – 2,267 (182,436)

Updated the OP with the Famitsu Top 30

I'm ready to see how high the evergreens rise in the next few weeks.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.