Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart WII ships another 40k this past quarter

More than 11 years after its release, and 6 years after the Wii itself was discontinued, the little kart racer that could soldiers on...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/348236-mario-kart-wii-shifts-another-40k-units-in-the-last-6-months



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Considering Just Dance still makes strong numbers on the Wii even now, I'm not surprised. Still, what store still has Mario Kart Wii copies?



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Considering Just Dance still makes strong numbers on the Wii even now, I'm not surprised. Still, what store still has Mario Kart Wii copies?

Online ones most likely.



I wonder how many of these are accidentally purchases intending on getting the Switch version only to return this later?



Dulfite said:
I wonder how many of these are accidentally purchases intending on getting the Switch version only to return this later?

I wonder how many Mario Kart 8 sales were accidental, when they were trying to buy Mario Kart Wii instead.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Dulfite said:
I wonder how many of these are accidentally purchases intending on getting the Switch version only to return this later?

I wonder how many Mario Kart 8 sales were accidental, when they were trying to buy Mario Kart Wii instead.

Asking the real questions here.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Darwinianevolution said:
Considering Just Dance still makes strong numbers on the Wii even now, I'm not surprised. Still, what store still has Mario Kart Wii copies?

The Target near my house in country South Australia still had Mario Kart Wii and Brawl on the shelf right next to Switch games when I last visited home a few months ago (for $69.95 too).

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 01 November 2019

RingoGaSuki said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Considering Just Dance still makes strong numbers on the Wii even now, I'm not surprised. Still, what store still has Mario Kart Wii copies?

The Target near my house in country South Australia still had Mario Kart Wii and Brawl on the shelf right next to Switch games when I last visited home a few months ago (for $69.95 too).

Damn.... talk about evergreen titles :-O



I have seen Walmarts sell Wii games for many years after the Wii was discontinued. Usually it is the super evergreen stuff like Mario Kart and 2D Mario, but yeah those games still sell.

There are a crapton of people who got a Wii and never even looked at a Wii U. If Nintendo is smart, then they will try to bring these people back to get a Switch.



Should probably have noted: this brings it's official total to 37.24 million.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.