Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 is way past the time for another price cut

Tagged games:

Probably they'll prefer BF and Xmas bundles and possibly time limited discounts this year, while the definitive price cut will be defined when they'll decide the PS5 pricing strategy, and they'll also decide if they'll do it before, after or at the same time of PS5 launch (in this case probably not even calling it a cut, but simply releasing the new list of prices for the whole PS product range).



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 
 


Around the Network

In Q1 or Q2 of next year, they really need to cut the price. With the PS5 out late next year, it's ridiculous to still ask $300 for a PS4 Slim, and $400 for a PS4 Pro. I say do a price cut of $100 for each. Some might say $50 off each will suffice, but I think it's too late for that.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
In Q1 or Q2 of next year, they really need to cut the price. With the PS5 out late next year, it's ridiculous to still ask $300 for a PS4 Slim, and $400 for a PS4 Pro. I say do a price cut of $100 for each. Some might say $50 off each will suffice, but I think it's too late for that.

I think they will just discontinue the PS4Pro by the time PS5 comes.

A price cut will probably hit the slim around TLOU2 I reckon.



Wman1996 said:
In Q1 or Q2 of next year, they really need to cut the price. With the PS5 out late next year, it's ridiculous to still ask $300 for a PS4 Slim, and $400 for a PS4 Pro. I say do a price cut of $100 for each. Some might say $50 off each will suffice, but I think it's too late for that.

^ this.

Sony have held off too long by now, its time they act.



Tin foil hat theory incoming!

Sony is still selling PS4 without a discount so they can offset the PS5 launch price.

So they launch PS5 at £399 at a loss, but that loss is already offset by selling PS4 all this time without a price cut.
It’s a smart move because they know people will still pay it.



Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network

In a way I think gaming is evolving and people's perceptions are changing. Like mobile phones--an old phone isn't obsolete and dirt cheap just because a new version comes out. The PS4 is going to have support, be profitable, and functional well beyond the PS5 launch. I expect it to be more like the PS2 than the PS3 in terms of life after the successor hits the market.



mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Well, I think the fact at this point is Sony could 100% drop it to $199 and continue to profit. Might be able to drop to $149 and break even.

Something tells me they are building up profit because they plan to subsidize the PS5 more than originally thought. They said that they wanted people to switch over as quickly as possible. What better way to do that than launch the PS5 at $399-449? Then, they can drop the PS4 to $199-$249, a $200 difference, and continue to profit on that HW as a few million still pick it up.



It is on a sale for $250 pretty often, and it always available bundled with games. Right now, its $200 with a bunch of games. So, I think it basically has had a defacto price cut. I would bet that the vast majority of PS4 units sold, at least in the USA, are selling for less than $300. And, of the ones sold at $300, I'm certain that most sell with a current AAA game bundled in, reducing the effective price of the hardware.



Pemalite said:
Shadow1980 said:
Price cuts this late in a system's life have minimal effect. The increase in sales, if any, are likely to be insufficient to justify less per-unit revenue. And it's not like the PS4 has atrocious sales. It's definitely post-peak and declining, but not to a degree so pressing that Sony needs to cut the price.

The flipside to that is there is a potential need to "lock" customers into their ecosystem, it's an easier task to ask people to migrate to a newer console if they already support all your subscription based services.

It should be interesting either way.

This is certainly correct.  But, Sony hasn't pushed their subscription services particularly aggressively.  I will say though that it seems they may be ramping that up a bit now, with more attractive pricing.  

I actually think this would be a really good argument for MS to drop the price of XB to something super low, and throw in a one month free, or maybe 6 month discounted Gamepass subscription.  That service is very attractive, and MS is clearly trying to push it.  If they sold XB1SAD for $99 or something, they could probably get a few million more people subscribed to the service, and they would be more likely to stick with MS next gen.  They might even be able to pull it off right now with the $149 deal they're running right now in the US, if they threw some big marketing money behind it.  



VAMatt said:
Pemalite said:

The flipside to that is there is a potential need to "lock" customers into their ecosystem, it's an easier task to ask people to migrate to a newer console if they already support all your subscription based services.

It should be interesting either way.

This is certainly correct.  But, Sony hasn't pushed their subscription services particularly aggressively.  I will say though that it seems they may be ramping that up a bit now, with more attractive pricing.  

I actually think this would be a really good argument for MS to drop the price of XB to something super low, and throw in a one month free, or maybe 6 month discounted Gamepass subscription.  That service is very attractive, and MS is clearly trying to push it.  If they sold XB1SAD for $99 or something, they could probably get a few million more people subscribed to the service, and they would be more likely to stick with MS next gen.  They might even be able to pull it off right now with the $149 deal they're running right now in the US, if they threw some big marketing money behind it.  

In denmark the Xbox One S all digital (sad), is currently going for around 699 kr.
Which is about ~105$ USD, and they re giveing away about 100$ in games for the system as well.

Some places in europe its 99 euro (~108$ USD)....

In the USA right now I believe theres XB1s (all digital) for 149$ as well + games.

VAMatt said:
It is on a sale for $250 pretty often, and it always available bundled with games. Right now, its $200 with a bunch of games. So, I think it basically has had a defacto price cut. I would bet that the vast majority of PS4 units sold, at least in the USA, are selling for less than $300. And, of the ones sold at $300, I'm certain that most sell with a current AAA game bundled in, reducing the effective price of the hardware.

Xbox has been on sale more this year than the PS4...
Sony are being slow to cut prices, and its probably hurting their system sales (imo).

That 15m forecase was probably when they factored in a price cut or something.