Quantcast
Rank the Soulslikes You've Played

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rank the Soulslikes You've Played

Havent played enough for a real ranking

But form my current experiences:

1. Dark Souls
2. Dark Souls 2

I am currently playing/streaming DS2 and it is a lot more frustrating and some situations feel like bullshit.



German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

Around the Network

Sekiro is an odd game. It's beautiful. The setting, character design, music, and atmosphere are all perfect. The combat though... is absolute fucking trash.

A shinobi who moves at the speed of a de-chaired Stephen Hawking wielding a weapon that does as much damage as a cough. He can take little to no damage either, like he's made of Corn Flakes and every enemy in the game is a prime Mike Tyson.

Got bored and turned it off. Nioh is still the Ace.



Marth said:
Havent played enough for a real ranking

But form my current experiences:

1. Dark Souls
2. Dark Souls 2

I am currently playing/streaming DS2 and it is a lot more frustrating and some situations feel like bullshit.

Hopefully I'm on Twitch when you're playing it, I wanna see how good or bad you are at it :P



I forgot to add that I've played through more than half of Hollow Knight (currently on that rolling boss that becomes more than one boss during the battle) and I'm just terrible at side scrolling games in general so it has been a not so enjoyable experience for me. Though objectively when I look at the game and all the design and work put into it, I know it's an incredible piece of art and design. But that's why I haven't included it in my rankings. It is no doubt better than Lords of the Fallen, but beyond that it can't be a 1-1 comparison with its 3D contemporaries for me.

I've also given NiOh a couple of hours and it hasn't clicked yet. It seems more focused on gear and I'm not a fan of the game being split up into levels. But I can definitely see the depth and complexity of combat with the different stances and weapon types. I'm not holding my breath about ever having a chance to go back to it for more play though.



trasharmdsister12 said:


I've also given NiOh a couple of hours and it hasn't clicked yet. It seems more focused on gear and I'm not a fan of the game being split up into levels. But I can definitely see the depth and complexity of combat with the different stances and weapon types. I'm not holding my breath about ever having a chance to go back to it for more play though.

I didn't like the idea of it being split into levels either, and more importantly the fact that those levels repeat, often three times. Going through the same levels more than once just killed any enthusiasm I had for the game.

Last edited by Machina - on 28 January 2020

Around the Network

Sekiro is far and away the best. The combat, for me, was so much more engaging than the rest of FromSoft's games - or the clones they inspired - that I actually have had trouble going back them. For example, I started playing Bloodborne for the first time, with a friend of mine who'd been wanting me to play it for years, and assured me it was the best FromSoft to date...we got maybe 6 hours in before we both decided we actually weren't feeling it. Again, I have to stress that he was telling me, as we were playing Sekiro, that Bloodborne is still his favorite FromSoft title, and that I would love it, because it encourages a certain level of aggression, just as Sekiro does. Going back though, ultimately, he was underwhelmed, and I honestly felt relieved when he said so, because I quickly got to the point where I felt I was only playing it for him.

I know that kinda sounds like I'm ripping Bloodborne, but that's really not my intent here, because I feel strongly that I would have this same reaction if I went back and played the first Dark Souls, which I LOVED, and would have previously given the crown for the best of these games. There's just something about the relentless rhythm of Sekiro, with the sort of anti-stamina, instead of the normal stamina bar in the other games. You're always on the assault, always in the enemies face, always clashing (as opposed to rolling around contact). It looks, and feels satisfying in a way that the rest of these games simply don't.



trasharmdsister12 said:
I forgot to add that I've played through more than half of Hollow Knight (currently on that rolling boss that becomes more than one boss during the battle) and I'm just terrible at side scrolling games in general so it has been a not so enjoyable experience for me. Though objectively when I look at the game and all the design and work put into it, I know it's an incredible piece of art and design. But that's why I haven't included it in my rankings. It is no doubt better than Lords of the Fallen, but beyond that it can't be a 1-1 comparison with its 3D contemporaries for me.

Hollow Knight is a pretty great game, that overstays it's welcome and the last bosses (that I played.. haven't faced all of them after ~50hrs and quit the game after reaching 1 ending) are some bullet hell shit. I wouldn't categorize it as a "soulslike", it's a pretty straightforward Metroidvania and if you have trouble with the super precision platforming like I do then I think Ori 1 is a better fit for you as you can power up your skills/jumps farther than the game ever requires you to perform.



1. Hollow Knight



Demons souls
Dark souls
Sekiro
Bloodborne
Dark souls 3
Dark souls 2
Ni oh.



Machina said:
Marth said:
Havent played enough for a real ranking

But form my current experiences:

1. Dark Souls
2. Dark Souls 2

I am currently playing/streaming DS2 and it is a lot more frustrating and some situations feel like bullshit.

Hopefully I'm on Twitch when you're playing it, I wanna see how good or bad you are at it :P

Currently I try to stream every Monday around 8pm cest

I am 7,5h hours and around 60 deaths into the game and so far have only beaten two bosses. So I consider myself pretty bad. :D



German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread