By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's last year: The best finale for a console ever?

Starting with Death Stranding in November, we got Last of Us Part II in February and then Cyberpunk 2077 in April. These three are possible GOTG contenders.

Then we have a bunch of heavy hitters like Final Fantasy VII, Ghost of Tsushima, Jedi: Fallen Order, Watch Dogs 3, Elden Ring, etc.

What's your pick for the best finale for a console in the past? PS3's last year was pretty busy but I don't think the quality was up to par for most of them.



Around the Network

Well this can be said to be an incredible lineup for the last active year of a console.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Why are you including games from two separate years? 2019 and 2020 aren't the same

Anyways, it's unlikely as far as I'm concerned. The Last of Us + Grand Theft Auto 5 was a brilliant final send off for the PS3 and I doubt any of the PS4's 2020 games will match either of those, let alone both of them combined, so I don't think it will take the title for me.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I've been thinking the same thing; 2020 is almost too good to be true.

But I've noticed over the years that the future always looks amazing. In other words, it always appears as though there are a lot of amazing games on the horizon. Hopefully they all turn out to actually be good games. Naughty Dog has very good credibility, and I have faith in Kojima-san as well. I have high hopes for Ghosts of Tsushima, but I'm not as confident about it as I am the other two.

As for FF7, it certainly looks amazing, and I would guess that it will fair well with critics, but I'm not sure if it will live up to my own expectations. FF7 played a huge role in my childhood, and FF in general is one of my top gaming series. But I was disappointed with FF15 (pacing, RPG mechanics, would have liked more party members, and some female), and I am not on board with the way they are releasing FF7 in segments. I hope they do this right; I really freaking do.

I'm not familiar with Jedi: The Fallen Order, as I actually don't watch or play much Star Wars stuff.

I haven't played a Watch Dogs game yet, but maybe I should try one. When I think of the series the only thing that comes to mind is the disappointment of the original, but if the second one is worth playing, I did just finish MGS Phantom Pain, so I'm looking for something new to play.

Elden Ring seems legit as hell, but if PC is released same day, I'll likely do that instead.



Probably.
In 2020 we are getting TLOU2 + Cyberpunk + Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Those alone already create huge expectation.
And along 2020 we will be getting Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Doom Eternal and presumably Tales of Arise, and of course, the amazing FIFA 2021. which will allow players to fake injuries. Its probably gonna revolutionalize sports games.

I just want me some good jrpgs tho. Looking forward to Granblue Fantasy: Relink and a western release for Ys9.



Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Why are you including games from two separate years? 2019 and 2020 aren't the same

Anyways, it's unlikely as far as I'm concerned. The Last of Us + Grand Theft Auto 5 was a brilliant final send off for the PS3 and I doubt any of the PS4's 2020 games will match either of those, let alone both of them combined, so I don't think it will take the title for me.

Because PS5 will likely be out in November next years so PS4’s last 12 months start this November.

TLOU2 + CP2077 look to be great counters for TLOU+GTAV. Then as I said there’s all that other stuff on top of that.



Sarkar said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Why are you including games from two separate years? 2019 and 2020 aren't the same

Anyways, it's unlikely as far as I'm concerned. The Last of Us + Grand Theft Auto 5 was a brilliant final send off for the PS3 and I doubt any of the PS4's 2020 games will match either of those, let alone both of them combined, so I don't think it will take the title for me.

Because PS5 will likely be out in November next years so PS4’s last 12 months start this November.

TLOU2 + CP2077 look to be great counters for TLOU+GTAV. Then as I said there’s all that other stuff on top of that.

I mean, I guess, but personally I'd count the last calendar year as the last year of a console, and in doing so I'd include GT6 for PS3s final year despite it releasing after the PS4 release.

As for those games, as much as I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk, I just don't think it'll top GTA 5. GTA is pretty special to me and no open world game has ever beaten it as far as I'm concerned (although Oblivion did come close!). I very much doubt Cyberpunk will have a good enough open world to beat GTA and well I can't really say an open world FPS story really sounds like the kind of story that would put it above GTA 5 either.

I also have doubts about TLOU 2 topping the original. It's possible of course, and Naughty Dog have done it before with Uncharted 2 > 1, but TLOU was much much better than the original Uncharted so it's going to be a much harder feat this time around.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Sarkar said:

Because PS5 will likely be out in November next years so PS4’s last 12 months start this November.

TLOU2 + CP2077 look to be great counters for TLOU+GTAV. Then as I said there’s all that other stuff on top of that.

I mean, I guess, but personally I'd count the last calendar year as the last year of a console, and in doing so I'd include GT6 for PS3s final year despite it releasing after the PS4 release.

As for those games, as much as I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk, I just don't think it'll top GTA 5. GTA is pretty special to me and no open world game has ever beaten it as far as I'm concerned (although Oblivion did come close!). I very much doubt Cyberpunk will have a good enough open world to beat GTA and well I can't really say an open world FPS story really sounds like the kind of story that would put it above GTA 5 either.

I also have doubts about TLOU 2 topping the original. It's possible of course, and Naughty Dog have done it before with Uncharted 2 > 1, but TLOU was much much better than the original Uncharted so it's going to be a much harder feat this time around.

I have my doubts about Cyberpunk as well. The hype is unreal, yet this is their first SF game while making characters from scratch without a literary background to fall back on, plus the open world of TW3, although pretty, wasn't all that great. Their strengths were bringing Andrzej Sapkowski's stories and characters to life. Plus cyberpunk isn't really my favorite SF genre and has been overdone to death in games.

But maybe, if I keep my expectations low, the game will be good after all.

TLOU2 I have more faith in. Well established characters that have a lot of room for further exploration.



Ka-pi96 said:
Why are you including games from two separate years? 2019 and 2020 aren't the same

Anyways, it's unlikely as far as I'm concerned. The Last of Us + Grand Theft Auto 5 was a brilliant final send off for the PS3 and I doubt any of the PS4's 2020 games will match either of those, let alone both of them combined, so I don't think it will take the title for me.

Ka-pi96 said:
Sarkar said:

Because PS5 will likely be out in November next years so PS4’s last 12 months start this November.

TLOU2 + CP2077 look to be great counters for TLOU+GTAV. Then as I said there’s all that other stuff on top of that.

I mean, I guess, but personally I'd count the last calendar year as the last year of a console, and in doing so I'd include GT6 for PS3s final year despite it releasing after the PS4 release.

As for those games, as much as I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk, I just don't think it'll top GTA 5. GTA is pretty special to me and no open world game has ever beaten it as far as I'm concerned (although Oblivion did come close!). I very much doubt Cyberpunk will have a good enough open world to beat GTA and well I can't really say an open world FPS story really sounds like the kind of story that would put it above GTA 5 either.

I also have doubts about TLOU 2 topping the original. It's possible of course, and Naughty Dog have done it before with Uncharted 2 > 1, but TLOU was much much better than the original Uncharted so it's going to be a much harder feat this time around.

For both posts.

You both are right on "last 12 months" and "last calendar year". But in the end we know he is talking about the tail end of PS4 being fantastic and for him the best ever.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Maybe. If you’re into Japanese style stuff it looks pretty great on paper. Personally LoU2 hype fell immensely with no MP talk and I am somehow less interested each time I see Death Stranding, reminds me of Scalebound. Cyberpunk will be amazing though. And we have Doom Eternal also. Amazing last year for this gen kicks off next week with Outer Worlds.