Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2019: The Kansas City Chiefs Win Super Bowl LIV

sethnintendo said:
MTZehvor said:

Slow down with the hot takes there. Next up you'll be telling us that LeBron James is a good basketball player or something.

I still believe Brady is best all time but he is getting old and doesn't have the receivers anymore.  There are of course other greats still above Mahomes like Montana, Elway, etc...  However if he wins a total of 4 Superbowls in his life then he will only be behind Brady in my book.

I'm pro Mahomes because he went to my college. He was good there but we sucked because we haven't had a defense since end of Mike Leach era.

I'm just saying he is best qb in NFL now. I was happy to Lamar Jackson not do anything in playoffs after everyone was sucking his dick entire season. Sure he is good but I don't think he has an arm like Mahomes. 

That was sarcasm. I was saying that arguing Mahomes is the best QB at the moment is a pretty wildly agreed upon sentiment. =p



Around the Network

Ah sorry missed the sarcasm. When you mentioned James I thought of the old argument that older people like me believe MJ is the best while younger people think James is the best.



You be done calculating preseason predictions by next week? No rush just wondering ETA.



Dunno if anyone here cares too much about the new XFL that just kicked off its historic franchise season opening a few hours ago. I would love if we could continue this thread with XFL predictions if enough people care about it.

Since I'm here I'll give my thoughts so far.

XFL offense is not as strong as its defense. At least in my opinion. Even though the game was predicted to be high scoring, offense don't have enough skill to produce that many points, while the defense of these players is shockingly OP at times.

The fast pace design of the XFL is exhausting the players. These players look fucking tired and we're only in the second quarter. Even the players themselves said to sideline reporter questions that they didn't realize how much energy they'd need to expend in the real games.

I really like the new kickoff rules. Feels much safer, and it stops feeling unnatural after a while.

I'm not feeling the 1, 2, and 3 extra points attempts after touchdowns. They just seem too difficult to convert, similarly as difficult as the 2pc in the NFL, if not harder due to the below average offense these teams have. It makes you appreciate the high success rates of a typical 1 point field goal.

I don't like how we can hear the coaches through the mic making calls. It takes away from the mystery of the play calls and it's only a matter of time before it becomes exploited



I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

sethnintendo said:
You be done calculating preseason predictions by next week? No rush just wondering ETA.

I was about to start (got hung up on a really long GIS assignment for school), and then I realized...I have no clue what the point amounts for anything past the regular season standings picks are. I think it's two per playoff team correct, four per divisional round correct, eight for conf. championship, etc. Is that right, Rol?

hatmoza said:

Dunno if anyone here cares too much about the new XFL that just kicked off its historic franchise season opening a few hours ago. I would love if we could continue this thread with XFL predictions if enough people care about it.

Since I'm here I'll give my thoughts so far.

XFL offense is not as strong as its defense. At least in my opinion. Even though the game was predicted to be high scoring, offense don't have enough skill to produce that many points, while the defense of these players is shockingly OP at times.

The fast pace design of the XFL is exhausting the players. These players look fucking tired and we're only in the second quarter. Even the players themselves said to sideline reporter questions that they didn't realize how much energy they'd need to expend in the real games.

I really like the new kickoff rules. Feels much safer, and it stops feeling unnatural after a while.

I'm not feeling the 1, 2, and 3 extra points attempts after touchdowns. They just seem too difficult to convert, similarly as difficult as the 2pc in the NFL, if not harder due to the below average offense these teams have. It makes you appreciate the high success rates of a typical 1 point field goal.

I don't like how we can hear the coaches through the mic making calls. It takes away from the mystery of the play calls and it's only a matter of time before it becomes exploited

I'd be down for turning into an XFL thread if people feel like it. Obviously we're late for Week 1 picks but we could start with Week 2 if there's at least a few people interested.



Around the Network
hatmoza said:

Dunno if anyone here cares too much about the new XFL that just kicked off its historic franchise season opening a few hours ago. I would love if we could continue this thread with XFL predictions if enough people care about it.

Since I'm here I'll give my thoughts so far.

XFL offense is not as strong as its defense. At least in my opinion. Even though the game was predicted to be high scoring, offense don't have enough skill to produce that many points, while the defense of these players is shockingly OP at times.

The fast pace design of the XFL is exhausting the players. These players look fucking tired and we're only in the second quarter. Even the players themselves said to sideline reporter questions that they didn't realize how much energy they'd need to expend in the real games.

I really like the new kickoff rules. Feels much safer, and it stops feeling unnatural after a while.

I'm not feeling the 1, 2, and 3 extra points attempts after touchdowns. They just seem too difficult to convert, similarly as difficult as the 2pc in the NFL, if not harder due to the below average offense these teams have. It makes you appreciate the high success rates of a typical 1 point field goal.

I don't like how we can hear the coaches through the mic making calls. It takes away from the mystery of the play calls and it's only a matter of time before it becomes exploited

Hmm sounds like I'll pass but I'll maybe watch a game or two.  No offense huh.  Need to bring back hehateme from original xfl league.  He is probably too old now though. The league will probably fold again like first one after a year or two.

There was actually a decent spring league USFL in USA during the 80s that even got some high profile players from college that after the league folded wound up in the NFL. Apparently Trump ruined the league trying to get it merge with the NFL.  He got the league to switch it to fall to I guess compete directly with NFL but that move proved to be a disaster.  In his quest for an attempt to become an owner of NFL team by having his USFL team become a NFL team it brought down the entire league.  Just one of his many failures.



MTZehvor said:
sethnintendo said:
You be done calculating preseason predictions by next week? No rush just wondering ETA.

I was about to start (got hung up on a really long GIS assignment for school), and then I realized...I have no clue what the point amounts for anything past the regular season standings picks are. I think it's two per playoff team correct, four per divisional round correct, eight for conf. championship, etc. Is that right, Rol?

I used a 100-point-system.

1 point each for division rankings of the 32 teams at the end of the regular season (32)
1 point each for correct playoff seeding (12)
2 points each for the 12 playoff teams (24)
2 points each for the 8 teams in the divisional round (16)
2 points each for the 4 teams in the championship games (8)
2 points each for the 2 teams in the Super Bowl (4)
2 points for the Super Bowl winner (2)
2 points for the first overall draft pick (2)

The reason why the amount of points doesn't grow for subsequent playoff rounds is because the points stack for good predictions to begin with. If the points grew with each playoff round, the whole contest would become very reliant on predicting the Super Bowl winner correctly, rendering everything else pretty much moot.

The tricky part to count is the seeding in combination with the teams that qualified for the playoffs. There are up to 3 points possible. For example, having the Ravens merely as a playoff team grants 2 points, but having the Ravens as the #1 seed grants 3 points because both the seeding and playoff appearance are correct. All other stages of the season are easy to count.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Difficult math rules. That's why I leave math up to you guys.



sethnintendo said:
MTZehvor said:

Slow down with the hot takes there. Next up you'll be telling us that LeBron James is a good basketball player or something.

I still believe Brady is best all time but he is getting old and doesn't have the receivers anymore.  There are of course other greats still above Mahomes like Montana, Elway, etc...  However if he wins a total of 4 Superbowls in his life then he will only be behind Brady in my book.

I'm pro Mahomes because he went to my college. He was good there but we sucked because we haven't had a defense since end of Mike Leach era.

I'm just saying he is best qb in NFL now. I was happy that Lamar Jackson didn'tt do anything in the playoffs after everyone was sucking his dick the entire season. Sure he is good but I don't think he has an arm like Mahomes. 

4 legit super bowls>6 tainted cheating ones. After all, it's a bit easier to pass the test when you have the answers.

Luckily that ship has sailed and sunk:



KManX89 said:
sethnintendo said:

I still believe Brady is best all time but he is getting old and doesn't have the receivers anymore.  There are of course other greats still above Mahomes like Montana, Elway, etc...  However if he wins a total of 4 Superbowls in his life then he will only be behind Brady in my book.

I'm pro Mahomes because he went to my college. He was good there but we sucked because we haven't had a defense since end of Mike Leach era.

I'm just saying he is best qb in NFL now. I was happy that Lamar Jackson didn'tt do anything in the playoffs after everyone was sucking his dick the entire season. Sure he is good but I don't think he has an arm like Mahomes. 

4 legit super bowls>6 tainted cheating ones. After all, it's a bit easier to pass the test when you have the answers.

Luckily that ship has sailed and sunk:

Guess we should toss out Montana's too for his receivers using stickum to make the ball easier to catch, or for his linemen using silicone to make their jerseys easier for rushers to slip off of.

Man I truly hope I never become this desperate to discredit someone else.