Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Dragon Quest XI S gonna be the best multiplatform game released on the Switch?

Is it the best multiplatform game released on the Switch?

Yes 14 51.85%
 
No (say which one is it) 8 29.63%
 
We should wait until it releases it... 5 18.52%
 
Total:27

Maybe it's because I'm very hyped for this game. But everything I see and hear about it is like... almost always so good.

- It's probably the only AAA port for the Switch where the visual downgrade is not even that big of a deal. Yes, PS4 and PC look better. But after playing the Switch version I can say it looks beautiful there too. Even in handheld mode, the game is leagues above a first party open world game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While a not on the same level, it's more in the line of Breath of the Wild on portable. Also, it runs at a very stable 30fps (there are some videos on youtube that show some framerate tests and it's almost locked 30fps).

- It has a ton of very juicy exclusive content that the other versions don't have. Orchestrated music, 2D Mode (which is basically a new game altogether), new mountable monsters, speed up battles, new story quests... you name it. Normally it's the opposite: PS4/One/PC have things that are omitted on Switch. Here you're basically getting the definitive version on Switch by a long shot.

- Square Enix just released a demo that if Gamexplain is right... can be about 10 hours long. So basically they are allowing us to play the first part of the game for free. That's absolutely nuts.

I don't know... as a Switch owner and future buyer of DQXIS... I feel so spoiled. Is like they are giving us so much. I can't think of any other third party multiplatform game with so much good going on.

What do you think?



Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

Maybe it's because I'm very hyped for this game. But everything I see and hear about it is like... almost always so good.

- It's probably the only AAA port for the Switch where the visual downgrade is not even that big of a deal. Yes, PS4 and PC look better. But after playing the Switch version I can say it looks beautiful there too. Even in handheld mode, the game is leagues above a first party open world game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While a not on the same level, it's more in the line of Breath of the Wild on portable. Also, it runs at a very stable 30fps (there are some videos on youtube that show some framerate tests and it's almost locked 30fps).

- It has a ton of very juicy exclusive content that the other versions don't have. Orchestrated music, 2D Mode (which is basically a new game altogether), new mountable monsters, speed up battles, new story quests... you name it. Normally it's the opposite: PS4/One/PC have things that are omitted on Switch. Here you're basically getting the definitive version on Switch by a long shot.

- Square Enix just released a demo that if Gamexplain is right... can be about 10 hours long. So basically they are allowing us to play the first part of the game for free. That's absolutely nuts.

I don't know... as a Switch owner and future buyer of DQXIS... I feel so spoiled. Is like they are giving us so much. I can't think of any other third party multiplatform game with so much good going on.

What do you think?

@ the bolded part, this, I was quite impressed as to how DQXI was able to keep a clean look compared to XC2 since that game was 1st party, granted I played only the first area of the demo, maybe there lot's more going on in XC2? I don't know, but I gotta say, DQXI is really looking good in handheld mode, haven't tried TV mode yet.



             

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Sunstrider said:
Vodacixi said:

Maybe it's because I'm very hyped for this game. But everything I see and hear about it is like... almost always so good.

- It's probably the only AAA port for the Switch where the visual downgrade is not even that big of a deal. Yes, PS4 and PC look better. But after playing the Switch version I can say it looks beautiful there too. Even in handheld mode, the game is leagues above a first party open world game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While a not on the same level, it's more in the line of Breath of the Wild on portable. Also, it runs at a very stable 30fps (there are some videos on youtube that show some framerate tests and it's almost locked 30fps).

- It has a ton of very juicy exclusive content that the other versions don't have. Orchestrated music, 2D Mode (which is basically a new game altogether), new mountable monsters, speed up battles, new story quests... you name it. Normally it's the opposite: PS4/One/PC have things that are omitted on Switch. Here you're basically getting the definitive version on Switch by a long shot.

- Square Enix just released a demo that if Gamexplain is right... can be about 10 hours long. So basically they are allowing us to play the first part of the game for free. That's absolutely nuts.

I don't know... as a Switch owner and future buyer of DQXIS... I feel so spoiled. Is like they are giving us so much. I can't think of any other third party multiplatform game with so much good going on.

What do you think?

@ the bolded part, this, I was quite impressed as to how DQXI was able to keep a clean look compared to XC2 since that game was 1st party, granted I played only the first area of the demo, maybe there lot's more going on in XC2? I don't know, but I gotta say, DQXI is really looking good in handheld mode, haven't tried TV mode yet.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a bit more open in the sense that there are no invisible walls. Also, battles are more dynamic since those are in real time and on the fly, rather than in a closed space like in DQXI. But even with this aspects, it's shocking to see how much better DQXI looks on portable mode compared to XC2.

I want to believe that XC2 looks so blurry because Monolith didn't have time to polish the game all they wanted... but then again, the expansion suffers the same problem, so...



Looks like it. The added content alone makes sure of that.

That they could port the game while still having it look good isn't surprising because the PS4 version wasn't all that special, contrary to the claims that Switch is allegedly not capable of handling the game and will get an HD port of the 3DS version. The scale of the game cannot compete with Xenoblade Chronicles 2; the playable sections are quite narrow and grand scope is only suggested with the land that lies below. Draw-in of foliage happens in immediate proximity at times, so it's not as smooth as XC2 in that regard.

I think the demo is that long because the game is slow to get started. It's only by the end of the demo that you get to play with a third and eventually fourth party member and that's already about seven hours into the game. On one hand it's generous that the demo is so long, but on the other hand Square-Enix would have done the game a disservice by cutting it shorter, because then players would have got to play only a very limited portion of the battle gameplay.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

By 'best' you mean in some kind of objective way, like 'very polished' and 'lots of juicy exclusive content' the likes of which we don´t see in other Switch 3rd party games?...or more like in a subjective manner?..because for someone who doesn´t care about JRPGs/Dragon Quest then it doesn´t matter

If it´s the former I guess it might just be the best indeed.



Around the Network
Sunstrider said:
Vodacixi said:

Maybe it's because I'm very hyped for this game. But everything I see and hear about it is like... almost always so good.

- It's probably the only AAA port for the Switch where the visual downgrade is not even that big of a deal. Yes, PS4 and PC look better. But after playing the Switch version I can say it looks beautiful there too. Even in handheld mode, the game is leagues above a first party open world game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While a not on the same level, it's more in the line of Breath of the Wild on portable. Also, it runs at a very stable 30fps (there are some videos on youtube that show some framerate tests and it's almost locked 30fps).

- It has a ton of very juicy exclusive content that the other versions don't have. Orchestrated music, 2D Mode (which is basically a new game altogether), new mountable monsters, speed up battles, new story quests... you name it. Normally it's the opposite: PS4/One/PC have things that are omitted on Switch. Here you're basically getting the definitive version on Switch by a long shot.

- Square Enix just released a demo that if Gamexplain is right... can be about 10 hours long. So basically they are allowing us to play the first part of the game for free. That's absolutely nuts.

I don't know... as a Switch owner and future buyer of DQXIS... I feel so spoiled. Is like they are giving us so much. I can't think of any other third party multiplatform game with so much good going on.

What do you think?

@ the bolded part, this, I was quite impressed as to how DQXI was able to keep a clean look compared to XC2 since that game was 1st party, granted I played only the first area of the demo, maybe there lot's more going on in XC2? I don't know, but I gotta say, DQXI is really looking good in handheld mode, haven't tried TV mode yet.

I don't believe it's that XC2 has more going on necessarily on a scene to scene basis, though it does have a comparatively large amount going on.  It's more the image quality solutions.  XC2's Temporal Anti-aliasing implementation wasn't done very well and the sharpening filter is used too aggressively.  In dock the image quality issues aren't the end of the world and in certain regions they really fade into the background (Leftheria, for example, looks pretty excellent).  However, when the resolution starts dropping in handheld mode these issues multiply by a LOT.  That's what gives the stress areas in XC2 - the big cities especially - that weird look of being both blurry and crunchy. The camera is also traditionally pulled back a lot and camera movement tends to be faster as a result, which exacerbates the issue compared to DQXI.  I will add that XC2 tends to have larger open fields, but there's plenty of compact areas too so it's not all on that.  But the roughest region *is* the biggest one with the largest volume of foliage density (Gormott), a region that no region to my knowledge in DQXI matches.  

Torna the Golden Country actually did a lot to improve this.  The AA solution is much better and the sharpening filter used far more judiciously.  That plus further engine optimizations result in a much better overall image in handheld mode for Torna vs base XC2.  Dragon Quest XI S from what I have played sits somewhere around the level of Torna, imo.  It has some fancy rendering bells and whistles that XC2 Torna doesn't, but then Torna has some tricks of its own like the volumetric cloud simulation and has higher resolution textures in general (though DQXI has a wide variance in texture resolution depending on what the object in question is).  It's not quite BotW tier in terms of handheld performance due to it very clearly running in a lower resolution. 

Last edited by Nuvendil - on 22 August 2019

Vodacixi said:
Sunstrider said:

@ the bolded part, this, I was quite impressed as to how DQXI was able to keep a clean look compared to XC2 since that game was 1st party, granted I played only the first area of the demo, maybe there lot's more going on in XC2? I don't know, but I gotta say, DQXI is really looking good in handheld mode, haven't tried TV mode yet.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a bit more open in the sense that there are no invisible walls. Also, battles are more dynamic since those are in real time and on the fly, rather than in a closed space like in DQXI. But even with this aspects, it's shocking to see how much better DQXI looks on portable mode compared to XC2.

I want to believe that XC2 looks so blurry because Monolith didn't have time to polish the game all they wanted... but then again, the expansion suffers the same problem, so...

Nuvendil said:
Sunstrider said:

@ the bolded part, this, I was quite impressed as to how DQXI was able to keep a clean look compared to XC2 since that game was 1st party, granted I played only the first area of the demo, maybe there lot's more going on in XC2? I don't know, but I gotta say, DQXI is really looking good in handheld mode, haven't tried TV mode yet.

I don't believe it's that XC2 has more going on necessarily on a scene to scene basis, though it does have a comparatively large amount going on.  It's more the image quality solutions.  XC2's Temporal Anti-aliasing implementation wasn't done very well and the sharpening filter is used too aggressively.  In dock the image quality issues aren't the end of the world and in certain regions they really fade into the background (Leftheria, for example, looks pretty excellent).  However, when the resolution starts dropping in handheld mode these issues multiply by a LOT.  That's what gives the stress areas in XC2 - the big cities especially - that weird look of being both blurry and crunchy. The camera is also traditionally pulled back a lot and camera movement tends to be faster as a result, which exacerbates the issue compared to DQXI.  I will add that XC2 tends to have larger open fields, but there's plenty of compact areas too so it's not all on that.  But the roughest region *is* the biggest one with the largest volume of foliage density (Gormott), a region that no region to my knowledge in DQXI matches.  

Torna the Golden Country actually did a lot to improve this.  The AA solution is much better and the sharpening filter used far more judiciously.  That plus further engine optimizations result in a much better overall image in handheld mode for Torna vs base XC2.  Dragon Quest XI S from what I have played sits somewhere around the level of Torna, imo.  It has some fancy rendering bells and whistles that XC2 Torna doesn't, but then Torna has some tricks of its own like the volumetric cloud simulation and has higher resolution textures in general (though DQXI has a wide variance in texture resolution depending on what the object in question is).  It's not quite BotW tier in terms of handheld performance due to it very clearly running in a lower resolution. 

Thanks for the input fellas, I actually forgot how big of an area is explorable in XC2 compared to DQXI, I had to watch a video of it to confirm lol, anyways, this is still a great rpg to play for those who doesn't have other platforms to play this on, hopefully this sells well on the Switch.



             

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

In terms of "most effort put into a multiplat on Switch", absolutely. All the exclusive content and improvements, actually marketing it, plus the care taken to maintain visual quality even though it's a UE4 game that was already 900p/30fps on PS4.

Vodacixi said:
Sunstrider said:

@ the bolded part, this, I was quite impressed as to how DQXI was able to keep a clean look compared to XC2 since that game was 1st party, granted I played only the first area of the demo, maybe there lot's more going on in XC2? I don't know, but I gotta say, DQXI is really looking good in handheld mode, haven't tried TV mode yet.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a bit more open in the sense that there are no invisible walls. Also, battles are more dynamic since those are in real time and on the fly, rather than in a closed space like in DQXI. But even with this aspects, it's shocking to see how much better DQXI looks on portable mode compared to XC2.

I want to believe that XC2 looks so blurry because Monolith didn't have time to polish the game all they wanted... but then again, the expansion suffers the same problem, so...

It's also worth noting Monolith was undermanned during the production of Xenoblade 2 due to half the team working on BOTW, and it really shows in a lot of its graphical rough edges. The resolution is commonly criticized, but as someone who played it docked I felt muddy textures, bland character models, and a generally non-cohesive art style were the bigger culprits. The overall look is just kinda awkward and incongruous.

DQ11 definitely looks better, and while I'm not a fan of its art style either I think the main reason is that it just looks more aesthetically consistent. Doesn't hurt that it inherits some nice lighting from being a UE4 game.



Yes, most certainly. I can’t wait to play it again. That after game was too long I figured I might as well wait for this version



I agree that Xenoblade does not come across as a very polished game. I never finished the game, but would like to go back and do so sometime; I think I posted about my gripes with it's graphics back when it first came out.

As for DQXI, my vote is yes. In fact, DQXI is among my favorite games of all time. It was so recently that I finished my playthrough on PS4, so I don't know that the new additions on Switch will be enough to make me play it again just yet, but down the road, for sure.