My laptop screen has died. Its possible its just the screen and it could be fixed, but this is beyond my own ability and I am reluctant to sink too much cash in to a laptop that is 5 years old.
I am looking for a replacement that can be used easily for work and study, but obviously its most taxing requirement will be gaming. I've laid out some thoughts below and would welcome any guidance you can offer.
- Decent portability (so not insanely heavy or bulky, reasonably sturdy).
- Sufficient power to play games very well at 1080p (this seems like a reasonable goal to keep costs manageable)
- In the realm of $AUD2000 (but less never hurts).
To this end I have seen a few laptops with a combination of the below:
- i7-8750H Processor 9M Cache, up to 4.10GHz/2.20GHz
- Either a 1060 MaxQ, 1070, 2060 graphics card. I read mixed things about what is required, but bear in mind I'd like to play games pretty well for several years
- 8GB or 16GB of RAM (I'd welcome input here, 32GB starts to get very pricey and seems unnecessary).
- An SSD of ok size plus a standard or hybrid HDD
Bear in mind that AUD prices for laptops are insane. There is a big long list of most of what is available here.
I play shooters, open-world RPGs, RTSs and a lot of Civilisation 4 (on a new PC, I'd like to be able to play 5 and 6 without having 90 minutes between turns though!).
starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS