I'll admit, I hardly play online, but Microsoft is cracking down on the online trash talk on Live. Taken from Gamespot:
Microsoft officially describes trash talk as: "Any lighthearted banter or bragging that focuses on the game at hand and encourages healthy competition."
And just the opposite:
"Any negative behavior that's personalized, disruptive, or likely to make someone feel unwelcome or unsafe. To qualify as harassment, the behavior doesn't have to be drawn-out or persistent. Even a single abusive message could harm someone's experience. Know when to draw the line, when to back off. Know and respect the other player."
So you might ask, exactly what is acceptable and what is not. Well, here are some examples below from Microsoft themselves:
Acceptable trash talk includes
- Get destroyed. Can’t believe you thought you were on my level.
- That was some serious potato aim. Get wrecked.
- Only reason you went positive was you spent all game camping. Try again, kid.
- Cheap win. Come at me when you can actually drive without running cars off the road.
- That sucked. Get good and then come back when your k/d’s over 1.
Going too far looks like
- Get (sexual threat). Can't believe you thought you were on my level.
- Hey (profanity), that was some serious potato aim. Get wrecked, trash.
- Only reason you went positive was you spent all game camping. KYS, kid.
- Cheap win. Totally expected from a (racial slur).
- You suck. Get out of my country--maybe they'll let you back in when your k/d's over 1.
So essentially if you offend anyone, you'll get your account suspended, temporarily at least. And you can pretty much conclude that if you're a "repeat offender," you'll be permanently suspended. It begs the question that if you're reported, is your account suspended as soon as you're reported, pending on a review of the alleged offense? Or are you allowed to continue playing online until the trash talk gestapo deems your trash talk inappropriate? I do wonder how big of a disparity of abuse of reports of alleged offenses there will be vs. actual offenses.
Hey, maybe you should sign up to be a member of Team Trash Talk Gestapo to Fight the Fight of Right! That would be Gosh-Darn-It-Swell.