By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve Index (VR headset) announced, 144 Hz, off ear audio

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index/

Hand tracking controllers:

Off ear audio:

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/headset

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 30 April 2019

Around the Network

Valves next AAA game will be a VR title. The vibes on that being correct is very high.
If this is a good price, might be my first VR Headset.



John2290 said:
I think valve invested so much they are trying to milk the Prosumer market rather than accomedate the entry level market or even somewhere in between so I have no faith for this reveal but I'm open to them surprising me with a 6dof, inside out tracking with a wirless sensor for room scale in a standalone device with a good price tag and support for less demanding Vive games.
...Obviously I don't see this happening.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it ends up being inside out tracking.  Definitely won't be standalone.  I'm expecting something similar to Vive Pro, hopefully without a pro price...



Azzanation said:
Valves next AAA game will be a VR title. The vibes on that being correct is very high.
If this is a good price, might be my first VR Headset.

We know for sure Valve has at least 3 VR games in development.  Gabe made it pretty clear that they were going to be substantial titles.  

One of them is heavily rumored to be a Half Life game between 1 and 2.  



the-pi-guy said:
Azzanation said:
Valves next AAA game will be a VR title. The vibes on that being correct is very high.
If this is a good price, might be my first VR Headset.

We know for sure Valve has at least 3 VR games in development.  Gabe made it pretty clear that they were going to be substantial titles.  

One of them is heavily rumored to be a Half Life game between 1 and 2.  

A Half Life game (even if its not 3) will tempt me enough to buy a VR Unit. 



Around the Network

Yes, this is great. I hope others will follow suit on keeping the VR industries alive.



Whatever happened to the Steam Machines? Are they still a thing?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

This is an interesting time to enter the VR market. I'm excited to see what they're offering that makes their hardware special. And, if there is nothing special, I hope we sometime learn why they decided to go with an also-ran product at this time.



Signalstar said:
Whatever happened to the Steam Machines? Are they still a thing?

Dead.

Hopefully this ends up like the Steam machines.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Azzanation said:
the-pi-guy said:

We know for sure Valve has at least 3 VR games in development.  Gabe made it pretty clear that they were going to be substantial titles.  

One of them is heavily rumored to be a Half Life game between 1 and 2.  

A Half Life game (even if its not 3) will tempt me enough to buy a VR Unit. 

I'm hoping it releases at a halfway decent price...

Signalstar said:
Whatever happened to the Steam Machines? Are they still a thing?

They're largely gone.  

I think Valve's hardware has run into a lot of issues because they've largely tried getting into very established markets.  Windows wasn't going anywhere.  There's already plenty of controllers.