By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Sony beat MS and Nintendo combined?

Answer: No

Sony's increasing subscription revenue will make it look like they're unstoppable but reality is already taking it's toll. Next gen will see MS become second to Nintendo for first party titles.

Nintendo is PS-ing Sony (low end tech + low end 3rd parties), while MS PC/360's them (high tech-high end 3rd parties). MS builds their console around what 3rd parties want. Now they can build hardware based on what the King of First Party want.

Sony needs to find a 3rd way, like DS and Wii did, but they wont/can't. VR and streaming is too niche.

"Nintendo should go 3rd party" is going to be shown up as being one of the dumbest comments ever made. It's Sony/MS who 'need to go 3rd party' to survive the inevitable outcome of the console wars.

We're in the Wii-2009/10 zone where it looks like they're unstoppable but the seeds of their downfall have already been planted (WiiU). The cards have already been dealt and we're just watching them being play out.

Nintendo has embraced a business model/strategy that would end MS/Sony yet Nintendo is thriving. Switch is going to be a NES/GB/PS1/Wii/DS level phenomenon, possibly much bigger. People forget we're still on WiiU ports. This is reminiscent of the consolisation that led to C64 ports on the NES or the big PC games appearing on DS.

MS is smart enough to realise how powerful Nintendo is and has already bent the knee. Content is King not graphics or framerate. Graphics and framerate is what stopped CoD from becoming Fortnite. If CoD would have supported Wii as much as 360/PS3, the graphics downgrade might have let them stumble across Fortnite like Epic did but that's the price you pay. A (PC) mod led to the biggest game ever. (See Minecraft, Wii Sports, Pokemon).

As someone who starts their predictions/hypothesis by working their way back from a 'Sony goes bankrupt' position, this is the first time in 20yrs I can actually see it happening. It'll be sad when they're gone but not as as sad as Sega/Rare's decline.

TLDR:

MS: Hey Nintendo, how can we repeat the 360-Wii-DS-PS1 success?

Nintendo: Hold my joycon.

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 24 February 2019

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

There's absolutely no reason why MS would suddenly become the 2nd best first party title creator. Sony is just as good of a 1st party title creator as Nintendo. GoW, and Horizon are both at or near the level of BotW, and Odyssey. It takes years to build good 1st party studios, and MS can't catchup. Three of their most recent 3rd party offerings prove they can't manage studios correctly. I mean, just look at those awful review scores for SoT, CD3, and State of Decay 2.

Nintendo is PS-ing Sony? Um yeah, the PS1 wasn't an entire generation behind N64. So no, that doesn't work.

Why does Sony need to find a 3rd way? They've crushed MS this gen. They are on track to crush MS next gen. They started doing their Streaming service long before Xbox's Gamepass came out, so they will be fine in 9 or 10 years when Streaming finally becomes viable.

Sony is in a Wii/DS type false boom? Sorry, but last I checked customer satisfaction was at an all time high for Sony systems. Lots of casual Wii owners regretted getting the system. Sony doesn't have that problem. The Wii-U failed because it was a multi-level disaster. Games didn't come out quickly enough for it. The hardware was expensive. 3rd parties completely abandoned it early on. Sony has none of these problems.





The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Yeah, they could. It's been done. They already did trounce the combined sales of N and XB with the PS2. And again with the PS4. Don't forget the drubbing the PS1 put on the N64. XB has never beaten PS. I didn't read the OP because I don't respect your opinion on consoles. If you are talking about some Nintendo/MS total collaboration that will never happen? Yeah, they could still beat that. Maybe not. But that's a fantasy that hasn't and will most likely, not happen.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 24 February 2019

Chinese food for breakfast

 

This thread is ridiculous. Just loads of hyperbole and nonsense and should be locked. Why are you speculating that Sony would go bust in 20 years? Why would microsoft suddenly become a good 1st party provided. Why does Sony NEED a third option ( whatever that means)?



Cerebralbore101 said:
There's absolutely no reason why MS would suddenly become the 2nd best first party title creator. Sony is just as good of a 1st party title creator as Nintendo. GoW, and Horizon are both at or near the level of BotW, and Odyssey. It takes years to build good 1st party studios, and MS can't catchup. Three of their most recent 3rd party offerings prove they can't manage studios correctly. I mean, just look at those awful review scores for SoT, CD3, and State of Decay 2.

Nintendo is PS-ing Sony? Um yeah, the PS1 wasn't an entire generation behind N64. So no, that doesn't work.

Why does Sony need to find a 3rd way? They've crushed MS this gen. They are on track to crush MS next gen. They started doing their Streaming service long before Xbox's Gamepass came out, so they will be fine in 9 or 10 years when Streaming finally becomes viable.

Sony is in a Wii/DS type false boom? Sorry, but last I checked customer satisfaction was at an all time high for Sony systems. Lots of casual Wii owners regretted getting the system. Sony doesn't have that problem. The Wii-U failed because it was a multi-level disaster. Games didn't come out quickly enough for it. The hardware was expensive. 3rd parties completely abandoned it early on. Sony has none of these problems.



MS spanked Sony with 360's first party. Granted, many came from PC and were only timed exclusive but Sony was nowhere close to their PS2 dominance.



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
Why are you speculating that Sony would go bust in 20 years? 

Because they're easy to beat if you know how.



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
There's absolutely no reason why MS would suddenly become the 2nd best first party title creator. Sony is just as good of a 1st party title creator as Nintendo. GoW, and Horizon are both at or near the level of BotW, and Odyssey. It takes years to build good 1st party studios, and MS can't catchup. Three of their most recent 3rd party offerings prove they can't manage studios correctly. I mean, just look at those awful review scores for SoT, CD3, and State of Decay 2.

Nintendo is PS-ing Sony? Um yeah, the PS1 wasn't an entire generation behind N64. So no, that doesn't work.

Why does Sony need to find a 3rd way? They've crushed MS this gen. They are on track to crush MS next gen. They started doing their Streaming service long before Xbox's Gamepass came out, so they will be fine in 9 or 10 years when Streaming finally becomes viable.

Sony is in a Wii/DS type false boom? Sorry, but last I checked customer satisfaction was at an all time high for Sony systems. Lots of casual Wii owners regretted getting the system. Sony doesn't have that problem. The Wii-U failed because it was a multi-level disaster. Games didn't come out quickly enough for it. The hardware was expensive. 3rd parties completely abandoned it early on. Sony has none of these problems.



MS spanked Sony with 360's first party. Granted, many came from PC and were only timed exclusive but Sony was nowhere close to their PS2 dominance.

Are you about talking first party, internal development? Like what?



Pyro as Bill said:
Nogamez said:
Why are you speculating that Sony would go bust in 20 years? 

Because they're easy to beat if you know how.

Yer but if they are easy to beat, why haven't they been beat? They have had 20 years to come up with a strategy to beat them.

Even when Sony screwed up the PS3 launch, it still managed to claw its way up to an impressive number.



 

 

Yes, Sony can beat both MS + Nintendo.

They've done so 3 of the last 4 generations.



Cerebralbore101 said:
There's absolutely no reason why MS would suddenly become the 2nd best first party title creator. Sony is just as good of a 1st party title creator as Nintendo. GoW, and Horizon are both at or near the level of BotW, and Odyssey. 



Not according to your good ol' friend Metacritic  

Also, Sea of Thieves wasn't a "3rd party offering", not at launch and not during it's development.