Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you like Switch´s first 2 years compared to the first 2 years of every other Nintendo system you owned?

The Switch turns 2 years old next month and thankfully has managed to reverse the disaster that was the Wii U, but regardless of its position in the market, how are you personally enjoying the system and its games when you campare it to the first 2 years of other Nintendo systems you´ve owned, be it home console or handheld?



Around the Network

I've been there since the beginning. It's definitely a step up from the N64 and the Wii as far as a steady diet of great new games go. There was jus t a sense of newness and wonder that can't ever be matched for me as far as the NES and SNES go. Same for the DS and original Gameboy. It just felt like I was experiencing the future. The GameCube also benefited from being the most powerful hardware in my home at the time and it had pretty good third party support as well.

I guess I'd have to give out number grades.
I'm not giving out number grades.

Where the Switch falters is that I've already had the "Home experience on the go" with Sony's handhelds. And much of my Son library are games I've actually owned on other systems. I do appreciate the limited compromises and games like Breath of the Wild are life changing.

I don't know. I guess my answer would be "Pretty good."



mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Well the Wii U had decent 3rd party support around launch, but that dropped off a cliff quickly. Meanwhile Switch's 3rd party support started off really strong, and continues to get better as time goes on.

Wii U didn't get a Mario game in the vein of Galaxy. It didn't get a real Zelda until after it was dead. Switch got both in the first year.

Two years into the Wii U's life cycle, I owned about 9-10 games for the system. Meanwhile I own 24 physical Switch games, and countless indies.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Currently playing Skryim modded to hell and back. 

https://www.ultimateskyrim.com/

Cerebralbore101 said:
Meanwhile Switch's 3rd party support started off really strong

Eh, not really to be honest. 

The Switch had to earn it's strong third party support ... which I honestly don't think is a bad thing at all. 

It did have a decent backing by the indie community, but even then I think one or two of the ones at launch where published by Nintendo, and alot of the best indies supported the Switch after it proved successful from a third party perspective (example: Hollow Knight's development is very PC and Switch oriented). 



I can say that I've bought more games in 2 years for the Switch than any other Nintendo console. So yeah, I'm enjoying the library much more than any other Nintendo console's first 2 years.



Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Meanwhile Switch's 3rd party support started off really strong

Eh, not really to be honest. 

The Switch had to earn it's strong third party support ... which I honestly don't think is a bad thing at all. 

It did have a decent backing by the indie community, but even then I think one or two of the ones at launch where published by Nintendo, and alot of the best indies supported the Switch after it proved successful from a third party perspective (example: Hollow Knight's development is very PC and Switch oriented). 

Switch just isn't powerful enough to run a lot of 3rd party games. Considering that, the support was great. It's hard to name a 3rd party multiplat in 2017, that could run on Switch, but hasn't been brought over. 





The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Currently playing Skryim modded to hell and back. 

https://www.ultimateskyrim.com/

Cerebralbore101 said:

Switch just isn't powerful enough to run a lot of 3rd party games. Considering that, the support was great. It's hard to name a 3rd party multiplat in 2017, that could run on Switch, but hasn't been brought over. 



I'm surprised you're saying this, I don't think anyone has ever argued that the Switch started with good third party support ... the first month it released it was so dry that basically most of the high profile indies were either games that were so old/sold so much they weren't relevant or were games that Nintendo themselves published. 

Unless you mean like, by the end of 2017. Then I can kind of understand that position more and even somewhat agree (not sure I'd go as far as to say "strong", but Doom, Skyrim, and Fifa was pretty good). 



Switch is top tier.  Most consoles (Nintendo, Sony, Sega or whatever) I don't even both getting until they've been on the market a few years, including handhelds.  The only consoles I got within the first two years were the NES, SNES, Wii U and Switch.  Here's my run down of those.

Wii U - I got this a year after launch because my daughter gave me big, sad, puppy dog eyes.  It doesn't compare to the other 3 consoles though.  The other 3 consoles were exceptionally good, while disappointment is actually one of the Wii U's main features.

SNES - I got this at launch, but then it was stolen from me a year or so later.  That part was upsetting.  The games though, the SNES had some great games that first year: Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Actraiser, Super Castlevania 4, Final Fantasy 2(4) all come to mind off the top of my head.  That is a tough line up to beat.  That first year or so was magic.  I still think BotW is better than any one of those games, but when you put them all together that is the dream team of launch years.

NES - I got the NES in 1987 which is the first year it was available in my city.  NES had a limited release in both 1985 and 1986 and went nationwide in 1987.  If I go two years forward from that, then I played a ton of great games: The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Gyromite (don't judge me brah), Excite Bike, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mega Man, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.  I got to witness the birth of many great gaming franchises while they were brand new!  Really this should take top place, but I feel like I am cheating a bit, because the NES actually released in 1985.  Because of this Nintendo actually had a couple of years to build up a very good library.  It's just that the games were new to me.  If I judge it by my own personal experience, this is the real #1.  Actually, I'm just going to limit the list to NES games released in 1985-1987, and based on this, yeah NES is #1.

Switch - Breath of the Wild is the most solid launch game ever.  I'd put it ahead of any Super Mario game that was available at launch.  It's better than Wii Sports or Tetris.  For that first month or so, Switch was definitely in first place.  There were some other good games I liked in 2017.  Puyo Puyo Tetris was fantastic and so was Mario + Rabbids, and Arms was decent.  Mario Kart I already played because it was on the Wii U.  Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade don't particularly appeal to me.  So I enjoyed the Switch in 2017, but it had dry spells too.  In 2018, the Switch was extremely solid, mostly because of third party games: Dragon Quest Builders, Axiom Verge (didn't try it til 2018), Octopath Traveler, Super Mario Party, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and a very strong finish from Super Smash Bros.  Several of those games have a lot of content too. 

So overall, I'd have to rank my 3 favorite consoles (so far) as
1. NES
2. SNES
3. Switch

Switch scores lots of points with Breath of the Wild, and it has had plenty of other enjoyable games, but I had a few dry spells in 2017.  Overal, I see it pretty close to the SNES though.  Also, I feel the SNES was not nearly as strong after it's first year, while the Switch still has several games that I have yet to play.  So, taking all of that into account, I see Switch as competitive with my favorite console of all time: the NES. 

I haven't been this excited about a console in almost 30 years!  I can't wait to see what other games come to the Switch.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 18 February 2019

Excellent so far. I wish there were more turn based RPGs, but the games Switch head gotten so far are all of high quality, light years ahead of any other I can remember.



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Switch just isn't powerful enough to run a lot of 3rd party games. Considering that, the support was great. It's hard to name a 3rd party multiplat in 2017, that could run on Switch, but hasn't been brought over. 



I'm surprised you're saying this, I don't think anyone has ever argued that the Switch started with good third party support ... the first month it released it was so dry that basically most of the high profile indies were either games that were so old/sold so much they weren't relevant or were games that Nintendo themselves published. 

Unless you mean like, by the end of 2017. Then I can kind of understand that position more and even somewhat agree (not sure I'd go as far as to say "strong", but Doom, Skyrim, and Fifa was pretty good). 

Yeah I was talking about all of 2017, not just the initial launch. That's why I said it was hard to name a 3rd party multiplat in 2017, that could run on Switch, but hasn't been brought over. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Currently playing Skryim modded to hell and back. 

https://www.ultimateskyrim.com/