Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Freak needs to ditch 3ds era assets, texture works and etc.

It's pretty apparent even in their latest games we can easily spot the 3ds era level of graphical qualities. 

Let's Go and Town graphics, look closely at the texture details, assets and geometry. 

 

vs upscale version of Sun/Moon running on Citra

The switch isn't at the same level as PS4/XB1 in term of power but at least put a little bit more efforts on the technical aspect of the game. It doesn't stop Monolith Soft and Level-5 from using modern rendering techniques and assets on their games.  

 

No more excuses of console power are holding them back from outputting a decent looking graphics and performances. 



Around the Network

I just remembered how great the torna dlc looked



For Gen 8, Town I could live with. Or maybe I'm just saying that as it looks a damn sight better than Lets Go, which plays a bit like a tech demo. Its not so bad in the overworld, but the close-ups in the battles you can really see how bland and lacking detail many of the sprites are. There are a few exceptions, but they should have the ability to push it further and here's hoping they do.



collint0101 said:
I just remembered how great the torna dlc looked

Is it worth playing narratively? I figured the story was described enough in the main games, which I loved beating. If anything I'd want a post XC2 dlc story :(

 Then again the series just turned itself into a multiverse essentially, so who knows where they will go from here! 



LGBTDBZBBQ said:

No more excuses of console power are holding them back from outputting a decent looking graphics and performances. 

I don't think they're looking for excuses.  They just like a basic, clean, and cartoonish aesthetic.  And I don't disagree with them.  I thought the graphics design of Let's Go was rather inviting and appealing.  I didn't get the game for other reasons, but the look of it made me smile.

If you're expecting more than a minor upgrade from the Pokemon title this year, I fear that's just setting up for disappointment.



Around the Network

I wouldn't necessarily want Gen 8 to look like Torna in terms of texture depth. I think Town would be a good style to use for Gen 8. For Yokai Watch 4...I mean it's Level 5, Their first title blew other Japanese giants out of the water when it comes to stylized visuals. That's a high bar for Gamefreak, but it's doable. Town already looks pretty close to Yokai Watch 4 so I think Gamefreak will pull it out for Gen 8 and continue to get better. Nintendo's first HD game was NSMBU and now look at them. It takes time to grow these artists skill sets.

Especially since Gamefreak has been working on crap hardware for decades. Don't kill me, I love the GB-DS lines to death, but let's be honest here, the handhelds did not give them the push they needed because every iteration did only just enough.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 19 January 2019

Town would be fine for Gen 8 tbh as Pokemon has always been clean cel shaded approach and Town falls into that I'm more wondering on the content than them pushing XBC2's visuals.



Ljink96 said:

I wouldn't necessarily want Gen 8 to look like Torna in terms of texture depth. I think Town would be a good style to use for Gen 8. For Yokai Watch 4...I mean it's Level 5, Their first title blew other Japanese giants out of the water when it comes to stylized visuals. That's a high bar for Gamefreak, but it's doable. Town already looks pretty close to Yokai Watch 4 so I think Gamefreak will pull it out for Gen 8 and continue to get better. Nintendo's first HD game was NSMBU and now look at them. It takes time to grow these artists skill sets.

Especially since Gamefreak has been working on crap hardware for decades. Don't kill me, I love the GB-DS lines to death, but let's be honest here, the handhelds did not give them the push they needed because every iteration did only just enough.

And let's not forget that Sony and Microsoft (in fact, most publishers) had their initial struggles with HD development as well.



You're expecting way too much from Game Freak.

Nintendo should take in the IP internally already. Cause on the Switch, we should be getting pokemon games like this:

Not this:



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:

You're expecting way too much from Game Freak.

Nintendo should take in the IP internally already. Cause on the Switch, we should be getting pokemon games like this:

Not this:

Funny thing is, I was going to say that's impossible ... then I remembered it's getting ported to Switch xD