I think Pro will be out of the gate next gen as upfront option. Mid Gen updates suck and are a pain to transfer files atm the way things are.
Game Cards is what I would like to see, words I commented on this News article here:
It is a pipe dream but look at the benefits. Games will be 50GB-300GB in size with some of the bloody patches they release.
Now how many games can u install of that size before you need a bigger hdd? Imaging if you used carts/game cards whatever you want to call them these days. Make them read/write so you can fit the game plus patches on the card in the write component of it.
Save files should also be stored on there and backed up to cloud and/or local machine.
Now here are the benefits:
- No longer need to install games
- No longer need to have large hdds in the TBs
- No longer need to uninstall games when hdd space runs out
- No need to worry about backing up patches (if that is even possible atm, ever bothered to try, only on WiiU it worked well, I think on PS4 you had to back up the whole thing)
- Suddenly your modern console will now work as a retro console in future when all the online services are shut down and you cant get the patches again, as you already got all the patches and updates for each game on each cart
CONCLUSION, I WOULD PAY THE EXTRA $10-20 FOR THESE BENEFITS AS IN THE LONG RUN BUYING BIGGER HDDS AND WORRYING ABOUT PATCHES AND MANAGING BACKUPS IS A MORE TIME CONSUMING TASK THAT IS WORTH TH EXTRA CASH.
Now those those who don't give a shit and just uninstall and reinstall games or play once uninstall and sell. Then you can get your games on BluRay cheaper. Doesn't hurt to have options.