Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie on why Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't on Switch

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nintendo-president-smash-bros-classic-console-future-switch-1167948 (interview with Nintendo President and Chief Operating Officer Reggie Fils-Aimé)

“For third-party, big or small, we want all that best content to come.”

That being said, when a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out, is that something you’re interested in having on the Switch?”

“Absolutely. We’d love for it to be there. But again — and this is where there needs to be an understanding of just the development process — Red Dead has been in development for years, time that predated any communication of Nintendo Switch. So, from the developer’s mentality, they need to move forward and finish the game they’ve been working on and then be in a position to look at other opportunities. Any game from a key third-party that’s coming out now, typically that development started well before any conversations about Nintendo Switch. What happens moving forward? We’ll see. But that’s how you wind up with a situation with Red Dead not being available on our platform.”

Looks like Reggie ignored the big elephant in the room (hardware). "Are you joking?" would have been more fitting answer. But PR talk is PR talk, and Reggie knows his job.



"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network

The real art of PR is to answer a question in a way that doesn't really answer it. Reggie is indeed an artist .



In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

He is right, he's just conveniently ignoring that hardware was probably an equal or greater factor.
If Reggie is truly correct, then by Christmas 2020, Switch should be getting every major 3rd party release. i'll believeitwhen I see it.



Well, he is a PR rep, he knows when to twist an answer in his favour.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nintendo-president-smash-bros-classic-console-future-switch-1167948 (interview with Nintendo President and Chief Operating Officer Reggie Fils-Aimé)

“For third-party, big or small, we want all that best content to come.”

That being said, when a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out, is that something you’re interested in having on the Switch?”

“Absolutely. We’d love for it to be there. But again — and this is where there needs to be an understanding of just the development process — Red Dead has been in development for years, time that predated any communication of Nintendo Switch. So, from the developer’s mentality, they need to move forward and finish the game they’ve been working on and then be in a position to look at other opportunities. Any game from a key third-party that’s coming out now, typically that development started well before any conversations about Nintendo Switch. What happens moving forward? We’ll see. But that’s how you wind up with a situation with Red Dead not being available on our platform.”

Looks like Reggie ignored the big elephant in the room (hardware). "Are you joking?" would have been more fitting answer. But PR talk is PR talk, and Reggie knows his job.

"Looks like Reggie ignored the big elephant in the room (hardware). "Are you joking?" would have been more fitting answer. But PR talk is PR talk, and Reggie knows his job."

 

You program a demanding game well enough, you can make it fit on weaker hardware: see Doom 2016. RDR2 most likely began development with X1/PS4 in mind so Reggie isn't ignoring any elephant.



Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Well, he is a PR rep, he knows when to twist an answer in his favour.

That's why we need actual journalists in games media. When was the last time any interviewer actually asked an inconvenient question or followed up on clear marketing bullshit? Never, that's when. The games media is nothing but an extended marketing branch of publishers.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The only reason is that the Switch is not powerful enough. Imagine how the games in a few years will look with the PS5/Xbox2 release in 1-2 years. There is no way that big third-party games will be ported to the Switch when the 9th generation begins because the performance gap will be too big for the Switch.



I'm sorry Patrick, but video games don't run on magic. You see there are physical limitations to what a console small enough to play on an airplane can do. *Opens up back of Switch* See that? See that big rectangle? That's just the battery to keep this baby running for 2.5 hours without being plugged into a wall. *Points to circular object* and that's just the fan. It keeps the system from overheating. Now how much of those innards do you suppose are dedicated to running games? Now how much more innards do you think the PS4 and XB1 have? Yeah, the Switch playing games like Doom is like an ant picking up a wrench and smacking you in the face with it. Expecting Switch to play RDR2 is like expecting said ant to bench 300 lbs. You'd have to be an idiot to not understand why that's a ridiculous expectation.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Currently playing Skryim modded to hell and back. 

https://www.ultimateskyrim.com/

KLAMarine said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nintendo-president-smash-bros-classic-console-future-switch-1167948 (interview with Nintendo President and Chief Operating Officer Reggie Fils-Aimé)

“For third-party, big or small, we want all that best content to come.”

That being said, when a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out, is that something you’re interested in having on the Switch?”

“Absolutely. We’d love for it to be there. But again — and this is where there needs to be an understanding of just the development process — Red Dead has been in development for years, time that predated any communication of Nintendo Switch. So, from the developer’s mentality, they need to move forward and finish the game they’ve been working on and then be in a position to look at other opportunities. Any game from a key third-party that’s coming out now, typically that development started well before any conversations about Nintendo Switch. What happens moving forward? We’ll see. But that’s how you wind up with a situation with Red Dead not being available on our platform.”

Looks like Reggie ignored the big elephant in the room (hardware). "Are you joking?" would have been more fitting answer. But PR talk is PR talk, and Reggie knows his job.

"Looks like Reggie ignored the big elephant in the room (hardware). "Are you joking?" would have been more fitting answer. But PR talk is PR talk, and Reggie knows his job."

 

You program a demanding game well enough, you can make it fit on weaker hardware: see Doom 2016. RDR2 most likely began development with X1/PS4 in mind so Reggie isn't ignoring any elephant.

Comparing Doom 2016 to RDR2 is not very relevant, since RDR2 is much more demanding game (also 60 fps vs 30 fps). Doom's engine is also one of the most well optimized engines. 



"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Rockstar has little interest in Nintendo platforms. What was the last rockstar AAA game to release on a Nintendo console?