Forums - General Discussion - A Study on Dog Rape Culture

I've been looking through a study called "Rape Culture and Queer Performativity at Urban Dog Parks" by Helen Wilson

Pretty interesting stuff seeing the parallels between their rape culture and our own, I posted a few quotes below with the link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cJLr_o04R-zpHcMNaIWPGs7Ue_i-tkCw

Navigating ‘Dog Rape Culture’Averaging across my data, in my observational vicinity there was approximately one dog rape/humping incident every 60 min (1004 documented dog rapes/ humping incidents) and one dog fight every 71 min (847 documented dog fights). (Here, I use Palmer’s (1989) criteria for rape, noting my anthropomorphic limi- tations in assessing when a humping incident constitutes rape in dogs. NB: the phrase ‘dog rape/humping incident’ documents only those incidents in which the activity appeared unwanted from my perspective – the humped dog having given no encouragement and apparently not enjoying the activity.) These numbers increased or decreased based upon the number of male dogs present at any given time, rising at times to one such incident or the other every three to five minutes during peak male-density periods. In general, more dog rapes/humping incidents occurred when more male dogs were present, and, somewhat surprisingly, 100% of dog rapes/humping incidents were perpetrated by male dogs.""


"The response to dog rapes/humping incidents, however, was markedly different

than to dog fights. The data suggest that the deciding variable for whether or not a human would interfere in a dog’s rape/humping incident was the dog’s gender. When a male dog was raping/humping another male dog, humans attempted to intervene 97% of the time. When a male dog was raping/humping a female dog, humans only attempted to intervene 32% of the time. Moreover, humans encour- aged the male dog (to ‘get her, boy!’ in one case) 12% of the time and laughed out loud 18% of the time when a female dog was being raped/humped. Humans only laughed 7% of the time when a male dog was raped/humped, and many male owners showed shame consistent with a homophobic response in many such instances (Anderson 2004; Doherty and Anderson 2004)."
"When a male dog ‘dry humped’ or penetrated a female dog who showed no signs of resisting, 81% of female human companions attempted to stop the engagement. Only 13% of male companions attempted to interrupt the humping behavior. No female dogs initiated humping or other acts which could be consid- ered sexual (since we generally do not consider the sniffing of one dog’s anus by another dog to be a sexual behavior amongst dogs so much as a specialized form of canine greeting and sociality), though they occasionally did appear to hump in dominance displays, which nearly always merely elicited laughter and gendered comments from human onlookers/companions and were rarely broken up before they concluded on their own"
"Oppression of dogs Gender had an apparent effect on the way a dog was treated (cf. Kydd and McGreevy 2017). Male human companions referred to their male dogs as ‘buddy’ 97% more often than did female human companions (4426 documented examples of a male human companion calling his male dog ‘buddy’ versus 2247 documented uses by female companions of male dogs), who often just called the dog by his name. Males also referred to female dogs as ‘girl’ (e.g. ‘come here, girl,’ ‘good girl,’ and ‘atta girl’) 89% more frequently than did female human companions (3543 incidents versus 1872). There was not a single incident when I overheard the word ‘bitch’ being used to refer to a female dog by a female human companion, but this word was heard a total of 108 times by male human companions."

tell me what you guys think and if we can somehow use this to eradicate both rape cultures




Around the Network

Humor me. Your point is?



o_O.Q said:
tell me what you guys think and if we can somehow use this to eradicate both rape cultures

I am going to assume this is just a joke thread.

But... To humor you... What makes you think it's cultural with animals?



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
o_O.Q said:
tell me what you guys think and if we can somehow use this to eradicate both rape cultures

I am going to assume this is just a joke thread.

But... To humor you... What makes you think it's cultural with animals?

this is an academic paper, its not my conclusion, but the conclusion of Helen Wilson



Haha. Rol, you need to lift your game. There's a new challenger.



Around the Network

I'm going to assume you are not exactly into research:

Other than the zero citations, this paper was retracted.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0966369X.2018.1513216


"We, the Editors and Publishers of Gender, Place & Culture, have retracted the following article:

Helen Wilson, “Human reactions to rape culture and queer performativity at urban dog parks in Portland, Oregon”, Gender, Place & Culture, DOI:10.1080/0966369X.2018.1475346, published online on May 22nd, 2018.

This is due to a breach of the following Publishing Agreement clause, signed by the author during the publication process:

“You warrant that: i. All persons who have a reasonable claim to authorship are named in the article as co-authors including yourself, and you have not fabricated or misappropriated anyone’s identity, including your own.”

Following an investigation into this paper, triggered by the Publisher and Editor shortly after publication, we have undertaken a number of checks to confirm the author’s identity. These checks have shown this to be a hoax paper, submitted under false pretences, and as such we are retracting it from the scholarly record."

Last edited by Moren - on 13 October 2018

Is that why you linked it to a random Google Drive instead of the original source?

Nah, I'm going to assume it was a mistake in good faith.



morenoingrato said:

I'm going to assume you are not exactly into research:

Other than the zero citations, this paper was retracted.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0966369X.2018.1513216


"We, the Editors and Publishers of Gender, Place & Culture, have retracted the following article:

Helen Wilson, “Human reactions to rape culture and queer performativity at urban dog parks in Portland, Oregon”, Gender, Place & Culture, DOI:10.1080/0966369X.2018.1475346, published online on May 22nd, 2018.

This is due to a breach of the following Publishing Agreement clause, signed by the author during the publication process:

“You warrant that: i. All persons who have a reasonable claim to authorship are named in the article as co-authors including yourself, and you have not fabricated or misappropriated anyone’s identity, including your own.”

Following an investigation into this paper, triggered by the Publisher and Editor shortly after publication, we have undertaken a number of checks to confirm the author’s identity. These checks have shown this to be a hoax paper, submitted under false pretences, and as such we are retracting it from the scholarly record."

ok ok, you're right i've looked into this a little more and apparently the article was accepted and published online in february, but only recently taken down after the author revealed it to be hoax

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/dog-parks-are-petri-dishes-for-canine-rape-culture-and-more-of-the-ridiculous-studies-a-team-of-hoaxsters-got-published-in-academic-journals

 

"Dog parks are petri dishes for canine rape culture,’ and more ridiculous studies hoaxsters got published in academic journals

The three academics had a very serious mission in all this: To expose what they call the 'identitarian madness coming out of the academic and activist left"

 

but regardless i don't think that necessarily invalidates the points made about the parallels between dog behavior and human behavior

we do for example with dogs tend to force hetero-normative attitudes onto them



o_O.Q said: 

but regardless i don't think that necessarily invalidates the points made about the parallels between dog behavior and human behavior

Not at all. 



ironmanDX said:
Haha. Rol, you need to lift your game. There's a new challenger.

@Ryuu96 Remember when I mentioned a monocle man? That's the one.

morenoingrato said:
Is that why you linked it to a random Google Drive instead of the original source?

Nah, I'm going to assume it was a mistake in good faith.

This is not the attitude that leads to change.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club