Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fan remasters that are as good or better than official ones

So yesterday I came across a video suggestion on YouTube that caught my attention, which is this Majora's Mask HD textures project:

"But what makes this different from any other texture pack out there?" you ask. Well, this one is actually being made to be a faithful recreation of the original textures, just with higher resolution. Most HD textures I've seen look off in one way or another so this is very impressive to me. I think this is great since I love Majora's Mask but didn't really like the remake as much as the original version because of the gameplay changes it had. I'll certainly replay the game again once this pack is complete since I love how it looks so far.

So I wanted to know if there are any other projects as impressive as this one is, with the same goal of recreating the original experience as faithfully as possible.



Around the Network

Not AM2R.



mZuzek said:
Not AM2R.

What's wrong with it if you don't mind me asking? I know there's the official remake now but I was under the impression that people liked it when it came out.



Vini256 said:
mZuzek said:
Not AM2R.

What's wrong with it if you don't mind me asking? I know there's the official remake now but I was under the impression that people liked it when it came out.

I just felt the need to put that out there before someone said it, because Samus Returns is a better game hands down. I don't have any issues with AM2R though, it's amazing as a fan project and a really great game, but it just doesn't compare to the official remake.



Vini256 said:

So yesterday I came across a video suggestion on YouTube that caught my attention, which is this Majora's Mask HD textures project:

"But what makes this different from any other texture pack out there?" you ask. Well, this one is actually being made to be a faithful recreation of the original textures, just with higher resolution. Most HD textures I've seen look off in one way or another so this is very impressive to me. I think this is great since I love Majora's Mask but didn't really like the remake as much as the original version because of the gameplay changes it had. I'll certainly replay the game again once this pack is complete since I love how it looks so far.

So I wanted to know if there are any other projects as impressive as this one is, with the same goal of recreating the original experience as faithfully as possible.

What gameplay changes did the make in MM3D?

Only thing I can think of is changing the swimming mechanic when a Zora. They improved it in all aspects, except going super fast drained magic unlike before.



Around the Network
irstupid said:

What gameplay changes did the make in MM3D?

Only thing I can think of is changing the swimming mechanic when a Zora. They improved it in all aspects, except going super fast drained magic unlike before.

They changed some bosses up, most notably Twinmold, and I also remember the bank in Clock Town being located in a different (and much easier to find) place. The boss changes were weird, though - they mostly just received huge eyeballs that pop out when they enter the "hit me" phase, which was really pointless, and then Twinmold, well, they changed the whole battle by making you get the giant mask only halfway through it.



LOL that's the exact video I was thinking of! It showed up in my phone notifocations yesterday!

Honestly though ... that youtube video "Majora's Mask 3D fails as a remake" or whatever is a great example of no-one, not even most Majora's Mask fans, complaining until some youtuber does it.



irstupid said: 

What gameplay changes did the make in MM3D?

Only thing I can think of is changing the swimming mechanic when a Zora. They improved it in all aspects, except going super fast drained magic unlike before.

They redid the boss battles and there were other changes like the Bomber's Notebook (Which is overall good in the remake, but the constant notifications quickly started to annoy me). If you have the time, this video explains perfectly all the changes (And funnily enough, it's by the same guy who's making the HD textures):



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
LOL that's the exact video I was thinking of! It showed up in my phone notifocations yesterday!

Honestly though ... that youtube video "Majora's Mask 3D fails as a remake" or whatever is a great example of no-one, not even most Majora's Mask fans, complaining until some youtuber does it.

I've literally just posted that video here in reply to another comment, LOL. Anyways, I don't think the bolded is true since I personally agree with a lot of what he said in the video, and most of his complaints were ones I had when the remake came out.



mZuzek said:
irstupid said:

What gameplay changes did the make in MM3D?

Only thing I can think of is changing the swimming mechanic when a Zora. They improved it in all aspects, except going super fast drained magic unlike before.

They changed some bosses up, most notably Twinmold, and I also remember the bank in Clock Town being located in a different (and much easier to find) place. The boss changes were weird, though - they mostly just received huge eyeballs that pop out when they enter the "hit me" phase, which was really pointless, and then Twinmold, well, they changed the whole battle by making you get the giant mask only halfway through it.

 

Vini256 said:
irstupid said: 

What gameplay changes did the make in MM3D?

Only thing I can think of is changing the swimming mechanic when a Zora. They improved it in all aspects, except going super fast drained magic unlike before.

They redid the boss battles and there were other changes like the Bomber's Notebook (Which is overall good in the remake, but the constant notifications quickly started to annoy me). If you have the time, this video explains perfectly all the changes (And funnily enough, it's by the same guy who's making the HD textures):

I guess I just remember the good changes being so much more beneficial that any negative changes were moot.

Like the bomber notebook being a huge plus. Before it, felt like you needed to bring out a guide online to accomplish everything. The new game, its like an big rpg, you talk to someone your journal gets updated (or in this case bombers notebook)

The bank being easier to find. The song letting you skip to exactly a time versus was it just half day increments before? Ect.

An eyeball on bosses or not being able to spam swimming or a couple others is a small insignificant price, imo, to vast life improvement changes.

My biggest hate with MM or Ocarina remakes are always just the ocarina. I still have to this day the songs memorized on the little c-buttons on the 64 controller. I hate pushing like LR and shit to play a song. Before it was so easy. Just yellow up, left, right, donw, or green and red button. Now its LR, LB, x, y, a, b. Add onto the other system controllers wher eI get x and y buttons consumed a lot and it just annoys me.