By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a depressing game.

I won't go into details because the game hasn't officially released yet.

 

I've been playing Spiderman for a few days now. Not a perfect game but absolutely fun! Playing as the hopelessly optimistic Peter Parker, the brightly colored city, and the pulse pounding music, you can't help but feel good when you play.

Then, there's Told Raider. Woo. That game is a mood killer! Graphically in my personal top ten for the gen. Controls spectacularly. Options on top of options to customize your experience. But damn, the game is so dark and depressing.

Comparing the two is like comparing a Marvel movie to a DC movie (when it comes to tone).



Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

Weren't the two previous Tomb Raider games pretty much like that too? Especially the first one I remember being unbelievably dire. I remember you can find a diary from some dad out on vacation with his daughter and wife, and he's now a cannibal monster that you have to shoot or be killed by.



I am currently sigless.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Weren't the two previous Tomb Raider games pretty much like that too? Especially the first one I remember being unbelievably dire. I remember you can find a diary from some dad out on vacation with his daughter and wife, and he's now a cannibal monster that you have to shoot or be killed by.

Oh, this one is darker. Way darker. How could that be, you ask? Just wait and see...



Twitter: @d21lewis

Remember when Tomb Raider was about going into Tombs, solving puzzles and killing T-Rexs with duel wielded pistols.



Hmm, pie.

Just continued my second b sitting with Spider-Man last night. And let me tell you it's just addicting web swinging to locations. I like getting better at combat too. I think Tomb Raider games are just more serious in general. Hell compared to to Uncharted they are more serious. At least Nate and Sully take jabs each other. Not saying Tomb Raider games are bad. Just different mood for sure.



Around the Network

Well, isn't that hoe the game is supposed to be? This is the adventure that ends the Trinity storyline and brings Lara to her lowest moment only to raise from it transformed into the tomb raider we know?



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

They seem obsessed with making them depressing. Tomb raider 2013 the same. They really need to mix it up and not have them like that nearly always. Give us a few hours in the middle where everything seems positive like in uncharted. Mix things up



You need to turn on RTX!



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:
The Fury said:
Remember when Tomb Raider was about going into Tombs, solving puzzles and killing T-Rexs with duel wielded pistols.

Yeah-up. I don't see these games as true tombraiders until there are dinosaurs, supernatural stuff like statues that come to life with 4 hands and of course the duel wielded pistols. I can forgive everything else but without the supernatural element... it's just not tombraider. Hope Shadow had Supernatural elements and good puzzles but it'll be a deep sale purchase for me, if even. 

Both previous titles had a lot of supernatural elements, though. They just don't figure in much to the combat or enemy appearances. But I mean, the first one had spirits preventing people from leaving an island and an old sun goddess possessing your friend, while the second one had eternal life as part of its plot and someone who actually had achieved it.



I am currently sigless.

Kerotan said:
They seem obsessed with making them depressing. Tomb raider 2013 the same. They really need to mix it up and not have them like that nearly always. Give us a few hours in the middle where everything seems positive like in uncharted. Mix things up

Why cant those of us that like it just have a wall to wall dark and depressing game? You guys already have sooo many more happy go lucky, bright, optimistic franchises. Those of that like really dark games without any moments of levity have very few options to choose from. Pretty much dark souls and bloodborne thats it.