Forums - Gaming Discussion - After Marvels Spiderman. Where do Marvel games go from here?

The fastest selling game of the year in the UK, apparently. It's not far off to say this fame is going to be insanely successful all around and it's most likely going to go multiplat (They'd be insane not too). 

So where do Marvel games go from here, do they stick to third party developers and multiplats as before with the odd exception like Siper-man first parties or do they partner with Sony/Xbox/Nintendo as an exclusive for an IP with one of their top teir developers and then go multiplat, assuming Spider-man goes multiplat. If it doesn't go MP then do they partner with Sony exclusively from now on and hope sony can provide the studio. A sucker punch Ironman game? A Naughty dog Captain America game? A Guerilla Thor game, anyone? A Bend game that actually releases...

One has to believe this will be multiplat though and they'll certainly keep Insomniac in for sequels. Who will develop the other IP's? It's a lotta IP and so few studios of Insomniacs talent in the industry, perhaps MS can task one of their new studios. 

Depending how they handle this, it could end in them destroying this chance in AAA gaming and heading right back to AA or succeeding like DC and making bank while we get some great Marvel games out of it. 

I ramble because I do not know. What are your thoughts folks? How should they navigate this oppertunity and maximize it as DC and warner bros did with Batman and Lord of the rings (well up until WB fucked it up being greedy). 

Should they just partner with renowned studios or studios tied to one of the big console three. Multiplat or first party? Should Spider-man even go multiplat?



Around the Network

They should do it on a game by game basis (like Star Wars should have been done) rather than stick with a specific dev, publisher or platform. That gives more variety and more chances for something good rather than potentially being stuck in a deal with a publisher who's screwing the franchise up (*cough* Star Wars & EA *cough*).

Also, they should totally make a deal with Koei-Tecmo for an X-Men Warriors game.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
They should do it on a game by game basis (like Star Wars should have been done) rather than stick with a specific dev, publisher or platform. That gives more variety and more chances for something good rather than potentially being stuck in a deal with a publisher who's screwing the franchise up (*cough* Star Wars & EA *cough*).

I'd argue they're already stuck with a Disney who could screw the franchise up, but yeah, this.



I imagine Spidey will stick to Sony. Other properties will almost certainly be multiplatform for at least the PS4/XB1 but might also get some Switch love there as well.



Ka-pi96 said:
They should do it on a game by game basis (like Star Wars should have been done) rather than stick with a specific dev, publisher or platform. That gives more variety and more chances for something good rather than potentially being stuck in a deal with a publisher who's screwing the franchise up (*cough* Star Wars & EA *cough*).

Also, they should totally make a deal with Koei-Tecmo for an X-Men Warriors game.

Welcome back btw. How was the hangover? Lol. 

That's pretty much what they're doing now and one game could fuck up the good will, there is no quality branding in that and it's why games like Iron man or or the countless spidermans before don't do as well as this Spiderman. Having Insomniac and Sony team up is pretty much the only reason this game is the power house it is. If it were made by Koi tecmo even as a carbon copy inch by inch, it wouldn't have sold anymore than the amazing spiderman games. This is the problem I'm bringing up.



Around the Network

Whatever SE is making, and i don't think it's going to be Single Player focused.

I'm expecting more of a Live Service game



Megiddo said:
I imagine Spidey will stick to Sony. Other properties will almost certainly be multiplatform for at least the PS4/XB1 but might also get some Switch love there as well.

I very much doubt it. This will head to PC and Xbox just like Nier Automata, Hellblade etc. MS won't need to buy any companies either, Insomniac isn't bound and I'm sure Marvel and Disney had the foresight not to get tied up in an extended contract. Even if they did, Sony would let them loose out of good will as they've already gotten all they can benifet from this. 



John2290 said:
Megiddo said:
I imagine Spidey will stick to Sony. Other properties will almost certainly be multiplatform for at least the PS4/XB1 but might also get some Switch love there as well.

I very much doubt it. This will head to PC and Xbox just like Nier Automata, Hellblade etc. MS won't need to buy any companies either, Insomniac isn't bound and I'm sure Marvel and Disney had the foresight not to get tied up in an extended contract. Even if they did, Sony would let them loose out of good will as they've already gotten all they can benifet from this. 

What? This is a 2nd party game, not a third party game. Have R and C, and Resistance games gone to other platforms? 



I mean, Sony didn't publish those games. They were third party.

Sony published Spider-man. It's sticking to PS4 as much as I'd love to play it on my PC.



John2290 said:
Megiddo said:
I imagine Spidey will stick to Sony. Other properties will almost certainly be multiplatform for at least the PS4/XB1 but might also get some Switch love there as well.

I very much doubt it. This will head to PC and Xbox just like Nier Automata, Hellblade etc. MS won't need to buy any companies either, Insomniac isn't bound and I'm sure Marvel and Disney had the foresight not to get tied up in an extended contract. Even if they did, Sony would let them loose out of good will as they've already gotten all they can benifet from this. 

https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/04/spider-man-on-xbox-one-never-insomniac/

 



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.