Forums - Movies Discussion - Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is Currently The Best Selling Blu-ray Of 2018 (USA)

http://screencrush.com/blu-ray-sales-2018-star-wars-last-jedi/

Contrary to the narrative in some circles that Star Wars: The Last Jedi permanently and irrevocably destroyed the Star Wars franchise, the film’s Blu-ray, released about four months ago, is already a hot seller. In fact, it’s the best-selling Blu-ray of 2018 to date, according to The Numbers. And everything else in the top 10 is way behind. Here are their current sales:

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 3.01 million units sold

2. Black Panther - 2.62 million

3. Thor: Ragnarok - 2.34 million

4. Coco - 2.25 million

5. The Greatest Showman - 1.75 million

6. Justice League - 1.54 million

7. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 1.38 million

8. It - 921,473

9. Blade Runner 2049 - 827,421

10. Ferdinand - 688,996

-

More at the link.

Interesting to see Star Wars is alive and well, Disney dominant and a musical film about a circus is beating Justice League.



Around the Network

I always say this. To see if Star Wars is doing well, you need only to look at merch and toy sales.

Also

9. Blade Runner 2049 - 827,421

This is a fucking shame. It should be in the top 5 at the very least.

Last edited by OTBWY - on 06 September 2018


I'm glad to see Coco up there. One of my all time favorites.



It made 1.3b box office and is now the best-selling blu-ray of 2018. How exactly is that a flop? I can remember seeing a thread about how bad it performed on this site.



HintHRO said:
It made 1.3b box office and is now the best-selling blu-ray of 2018. How exactly is that a flop? I can remember seeing a thread about how bad it performed on this site.

But there were #BoycottTLJ campaigns going on, remember? Because of female and colored lead characters. It had to have performed terribly...

Anyway, even though I hated The Last Jedi due to the writing (in particular of Luke), I'm glad to see it did really well both at the box office and on Blu Ray.
Though I wish Rian Johnsson wouldn't be involved in the third film. And it looks like he isn't.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 September 2018

Around the Network
Carl said: 

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 3.01 million units sold

9. Blade Runner 2049 - 827,421

2 shames on one list, Star Wars is too high and Blade Runner is too low.



To be fair, looking at the numbers, it's amazing how much has physical media shrinked over the years, at least when it comes to films. Three of the top 10 don't even reach the million...



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Got to laugh at the cherry picking. Just like people like to use the strawman that people are saying TLJ was a flop. No one said that. It was a big disappointment. It made much less than it was projected to make, was beaten easily by a Marvel standalone film, and lead to a steep decrease in franchise sales, including the first ever SW flop, Solo.

Seems like the DVD sales will be no different. Last we heard, TLJ's home video sales are about half that of TFA. They state that the others are WAY behind, but not only is BP only 390K behind it, BP released to home video almost two months after TLJ did. Oh, and let's not wait til IW and JW2 numbers come in before we claim victory. In the end, TLJ probably won't even be in the Top 3 by the time the year is over. Pathetic for a main installment in the franchise.



thismeintiel said:
Got to laugh at the cherry picking. Just like people like to use the strawman that people are saying TLJ was a flop. No one said that. It was a big disappointment. It made much less than it was projected to make, was beaten easily by a Marvel standalone film, and lead to a steep decrease in franchise sales, including the first ever SW flop, Solo.

Seems like the DVD sales will be no different. Last we heard, TLJ's home video sales are about half that of TFA. They state that the others are WAY behind, but not only is BP only 390K behind it, BP released to home video almost two months after TLJ did. Oh, and let's not wait til IW and JW2 numbers come in before we claim victory. In the end, TLJ probably won't even be in the Top 3 by the time the year is over. Pathetic for a main installment in the franchise.

Seems you are right. TFA has sold 5.9m so far, so TLJ is definitely tracking a good bit behind it. 



thismeintiel said:
Got to laugh at the cherry picking. Just like people like to use the strawman that people are saying TLJ was a flop. No one said that. It was a big disappointment. It made much less than it was projected to make, was beaten easily by a Marvel standalone film, and lead to a steep decrease in franchise sales, including the first ever SW flop, Solo.

I don't know why people insist on crediting Solo's fate to TLJ. Solo was a (almost entierly) pointless story. It was the first Star Wars film I didn't go to see in the cinemas, and it had 0 to do with TLJ.