By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - So, VGChartz was actually mentioned in other places!!

Now, I don't think VGChartz is really all-that known, especially in recent times. However, for some reason today all of a sudden the happenings of the forum has been discussed on other sites. I thought it was interesting and surprising, because I'm not used to getting the attention of other places. However, I definitely do not agree with the views/narrative of the article and thread.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/07/vgchartz-censors-discussion-of-naughty-dogs-sjw-agenda/63051/

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/8w8lwk/censorship_oneangrygamer_vgchartz_censors/



Around the Network

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/07/resetera-bans-discussion-of-naughty-dogs-agenda/62991/

So was Era. Frankly, I'd prefer it if we did not give that One Angry Gamer site any attention.



                                                                                                             

It is your guys website, so truly who gives a shit if you shut down a thread. People who want to discuss further can go to another website. Admittedly the reason why you guys shut down the thread was still fucked, but it is still your forum.
Ultimately would of been better off if you just ignored your feelings and left the thread alone instead of messing with peoples discussions and causing unwanted attention like this. Now people look at this website in the same light as ResetEra. Not good.

Surprisingly I expected this website to get mentioned more for its sales charts and such, it has good data, not 100% perfect, but just as reliable as Steamspy is nowadays.



Rich from reviewtechusa (youtube) has mentioned VGChartz in some of his videos before when talking about sales estimates.



TheBird said:
It is your guys website, so truly who gives a shit if you shut down a thread. People who want to discuss further can go to another website. Admittedly the reason why you guys shut down the thread was still fucked, but it is still your forum.
Ultimately would of been better off if you just ignored your feelings and left the thread alone instead of messing with peoples discussions and causing unwanted attention like this. Now people look at this website in the same light as ResetEra. Not good.

Surprisingly I expected this website to get mentioned more for its sales charts and such, it has good data, not 100% perfect, but just as reliable as Steamspy is nowadays.

Admittedly, I was bothered by some things that went on in the thread (as were other Mods) and should have worded the lock with more neutrality (I'm not so much as bothered by the phrase 'SJW' as I am bugged by the means with which some use it to attack others), but it was headed for a lock either way. It had become a mess, and really, we can't stop what we do here because of a website's opinion (particularly a website as toxic as that). The Era lock had far less words and still made it on that site's 'shit list' (a place VGC has been for a long time, mind you, due to the fact that our data isn't 100% accurate).

One Angry Gamer has an agenda (which is clearly to attack Naughty Dog). That isn't the fault of Era nor VGC.



                                                                                                             

Around the Network

Wait, those threads were shut down? What kind of bullshit is this?

Is this becoming a mini-era?



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Wait, those threads were shut down? What kind of bullshit is this?

Is this becoming a mini-era?

There was only one thread lock and it was appropriate given the condition of it.



                                                                                                             

Yeah we are now being compared to resetera. We can no longer take the moral high ground and pretend we are better then them. This comment on reddit regarding the vgchartz issue was interesting.

"There's a saying, people who can be trusted with power are likely to be ones who don't actively seek it. Power has a lot responsibility, so you have to have strong convictions to begin with to want it. If you're happy with the community how it is, why would give yourself that responsibility. Now if you have a grievance with that community, and want to change it, you'll put up with the extra work load in order to have opportunity to enforce your will."

Maybe we are doing things wrong. Maybe having people submit applications to be mods is the wrong way to go. Should the mods approach people they think suits the job and ask them in future?



flashfire926 said:
Wait, those threads were shut down? What kind of bullshit is this?

Is this becoming a mini-era?

We were always a mini era or mini gaf. Just look how many vgchartz posters also posted on those sites. With such a huge cross over both communities would always have similarities. 



CGI-Quality said:
TheBird said:
It is your guys website, so truly who gives a shit if you shut down a thread. People who want to discuss further can go to another website. Admittedly the reason why you guys shut down the thread was still fucked, but it is still your forum.
Ultimately would of been better off if you just ignored your feelings and left the thread alone instead of messing with peoples discussions and causing unwanted attention like this. Now people look at this website in the same light as ResetEra. Not good.

Surprisingly I expected this website to get mentioned more for its sales charts and such, it has good data, not 100% perfect, but just as reliable as Steamspy is nowadays.

Admittedly, I was bothered by some things that went on in the thread (as were other Mods) and should have worded the lock with more neutrality (I'm not so much as bothered by the phrase 'SJW' as I am bugged by the means with which some use it to attack others), but it was headed for a lock either way. It had become a mess, and really, we can't stop what we do here because of a website's opinion (particularly a website as toxic as that). The Era lock had far less words and still made it on that site's 'shit list' (a place VGC has been for a long time, mind you, due to the fact that our data isn't 100% accurate).

One Angry Gamer has an agenda (which is clearly to attack Naughty Dog). That isn't the fault of Era nor VGC.

I never saw the thread, and never actually looked into the whole Naughty Dog issue until literally just now. From what i'm reading I'm going to guess that the thread was very hostile in the sense that people just weren't friendly towards each other and were unable to have a friendly political debate.

 

I remember after E3 (I refused to watch the Sony E3 because I am simply an Xbox and Nintendo exclusive guy), all I saw was Ellie kissing some chick in the thumbnails of videos and I completely ignored the game since until now. Pretty big situation at hand here, and I'm glad people are pushing back against this stuff and not letting it slide by smoothly like we have for so long. I like this website for its sales charts, and having discussions. But now I feel like these discussions are being threatened after you guys banned the one thread, it is a big deal, this place for many people is a safe forum for discussions since it is so small and community like.

And not a safe place in a sense that using the word "SJW" is not nice to some people, so we must punish those who use the word to attack others to appeal to 1% of the population here. Safe in the sense that everyone knows each other, and people can discuss with familiar faces around the world everyday in politics, games, and movies no matter their differing views and just move on the next day to the next big discussion.

 

We're also now being compared to the 4th Reich ResetEra, which means it is probably in your best interest for damage control and to just let people be. To find who rules over you, simply look at those who you can't criticize.