By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We Happy Few Ban Overturned in Australia

I wrote a post about We Happy Few being banned in Australia awhile ago and I wanted to announce for those still in the blue that the ban has been lifted and the game will release in Australia and get an official rating and wont be censored.. This is great news and is finally about time. These bans are stupid and I never understood the point. Hoping from this day forward video games can be less focused on a negative manner and more focused as art.

Old article of the game being banned,

https://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/gaming/why-we-happy-few-has-been-denied-release-in-australia-after-being-deemed-too-explicit/news-story/61963f63a873852305532f95d3022ea8

New article mentioning the ban being lifted,

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/we-happy-few-ban-in-australia-overturned-and-it-wo/1100-6460180/



Around the Network
Azzanation said:

I wrote a post about We Happy Few being banned in Australia awhile ago and I wanted to announce for those still in the blue that the ban has been lifted and the game will release in Australia and get an official rating and wont be censored.. This is great news and is finally about time. These bans are stupid and I never understood the point. Hoping from this day forward video games can be less focused on a negative manner and more focused as art.

Old article of the game being banned,

https://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/gaming/why-we-happy-few-has-been-denied-release-in-australia-after-being-deemed-too-explicit/news-story/61963f63a873852305532f95d3022ea8

New article mentioning the ban being lifted,

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/we-happy-few-ban-in-australia-overturned-and-it-wo/1100-6460180/

That's good, it'll help the game expand it's audience. :)



Good for them, the government or any government-related agency has no business telling people what kind of entertainment they can can not consume



Nothing to see here, move along

melbye said:
Good for them, the government or any government-related agency has no business telling people what kind of entertainment they can can not consume

But what if said entertainment glorifies something like Nazism or suicide (not that there's anything out there that glorifies self-harm, but still)?



CaptainExplosion said:
melbye said:
Good for them, the government or any government-related agency has no business telling people what kind of entertainment they can can not consume

But what if said entertainment glorifies something like Nazism or suicide (not that there's anything out there that glorifies self-harm, but still)?

Morality conflict incoming.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But what if said entertainment glorifies something like Nazism or suicide (not that there's anything out there that glorifies self-harm, but still)?

Morality conflict incoming.

Well thankfully there are no games that glorify self-destructive behavior.

Really though it's up to the player to make the right choice, and talk to friends and family if they have mental health problems.

Incidentally, We Happy Few looks like it's about why we shouldn't use drugs to deal with our issues.



All they did was give the game free advertising.



Aeolus451 said:
All they did was give the game free advertising.

Precisely, my first reaction when i heard it was banned in Australia was "i want to buy this now"



Nothing to see here, move along

melbye said:
Aeolus451 said:
All they did was give the game free advertising.

Precisely, my first reaction when i heard it was banned in Australia was "i want to buy this now"

It definitely got my attention.



Azzanation said:

I wrote a post about We Happy Few being banned in Australia awhile ago and I wanted to announce for those still in the blue that the ban has been lifted and the game will release in Australia and get an official rating and wont be censored.. This is great news and is finally about time. These bans are stupid and I never understood the point. Hoping from this day forward video games can be less focused on a negative manner and more focused as art.

Old article of the game being banned,

https://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/gaming/why-we-happy-few-has-been-denied-release-in-australia-after-being-deemed-too-explicit/news-story/61963f63a873852305532f95d3022ea8

New article mentioning the ban being lifted,

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/we-happy-few-ban-in-australia-overturned-and-it-wo/1100-6460180/

Sorry about the duplicate thread , I did a quick check but missed it ,still I should have known, I'm always the last to know anything current.