By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Hey, has anyone else seen this movie? I FINALLY got around to watching it recently and had to recommend it. It's a dramatic (and humorous!) retelling of the life of controversial ice skating champion Tonya Harding, particularly focusing on the period of her ascendancy in the world of professional figure skating back in the late 1980s and early '90s leading up to the controversial, and heavily-covered, episode wherein she maybe-kinda-sorta had a hit man attack one of her rivals.

I distinctly remember the coverage of that development. The unusually intense coverage of Olympic figure skating, built around this particular drama, actually popularized the sport. It was extremely one-sided coverage too. It was cast as this epic rivalry between this pure, all-American girl from a middle class background (Nancy Kerrigan) up against this filthy, demon-possessed, low-class bitch (Tonya Harding) who had done this awful thing. It worked. Everyone...everyone except the working class communities where Harding had grown up, that is...was rooting for Nancy Kerrigan and against Tonya Harding.

I, Tonya is the story of Tonya Harding's background and history with the sport. The main thing you'll take away from this telling is that the entire system was rigged against her because of her class background and her inability to behave like a prim and proper lady because of her lifetime of being physically and psychologically abused, and that maybe this overarching reality of structural unfairness is what might have motivated the attack in the first place. It also shows a little bit of what subsequently became of her (up to the release of this movie anyway) after she was banned from professional figure skating for life, which is suitably depressing. It manages to humanize Harding in way that I think working class people deserve. Not in some romantic, dishonest way that suggests her to be perfect, or perfectly honest, but in a complex way that shows you why she was and is the way she was and is. I really liked it and just wanted to recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.



Around the Network

I enjoyed it. No makeup in the world would make Margot Robbie look ugly though.



I tried to like it..... but just couldnt.
I didnt even get half way though it, before I thought okay enough of this.

It started off okay I thought, but it just didnt keep going at a good rate.
By the time I was about midway though I was bored of it.



I couldn't root for Harding after conspiring against Kerrigan. A background of abuse is not a valid pretext to kneecap someone innocent.

I sympathize for the trauma she endured when younger but I believe strongly in the value of good sportsmanship and she violated that on an extreme level.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Yeah I watched it (wasn't going to but I had to in order to get the Oscar 2018 profile badge on IMDb). It was decent - solid 6/10.



Around the Network

I watched it because of Allison Janney.
It was a fun watch and the performances were terrific. Definitely worth a watch.



SpokenTruth said:
I couldn't root for Harding after conspiring against Kerrigan. A background of abuse is not a valid pretext to kneecap someone innocent.

I sympathize for the trauma she endured when younger but I believe strongly in the value of good sportsmanship and she violated that on an extreme level.

I don't think the point of the movie is to promote "rooting for" anyone. Hence the cultural reference in the film's title. The aim of the movie is to cultivate a level of empathy toward and understanding of others.



Jaicee said:
SpokenTruth said:
I couldn't root for Harding after conspiring against Kerrigan. A background of abuse is not a valid pretext to kneecap someone innocent.

I sympathize for the trauma she endured when younger but I believe strongly in the value of good sportsmanship and she violated that on an extreme level.

I don't think the point of the movie is to promote "rooting for" anyone. Hence the cultural reference in the film's title. The aim of the movie is to cultivate a level of empathy toward and understanding of others.

On a human level, I like the concept.  But the story is wrapped around Harding and I can't separate the person from the message.  Had she done something for Kerrigan to show her contrition, I'd be all over it. 



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
 

On a human level, I like the concept.  But the story is wrapped around Harding and I can't separate the person from the message.  Had she done something for Kerrigan to show her contrition, I'd be all over it. 

I don't know what more was necessary on that front. The world has spent nearly a quarter-century fixated solely on Nancy Kerrigan, her story and her plight vis-a-vis all this. The media has done nothing but promote sympathy exclusively for her for that entire period of time every single time this story has been retold. I think the filmmakers made the right move in conversely focusing on Tonya's backstory, and in a way that doesn't just one-sidedly demonize her for a change.

I think a lot of people who are from poorer backgrounds would like to be represented more fairly in our media.



Jaicee said:
SpokenTruth said:

On a human level, I like the concept.  But the story is wrapped around Harding and I can't separate the person from the message.  Had she done something for Kerrigan to show her contrition, I'd be all over it. 

I don't know what more was necessary on that front. The world has spent nearly a quarter-century fixated solely on Nancy Kerrigan, her story and her plight vis-a-vis all this. The media has done nothing but promote sympathy exclusively for her for that entire period of time every single time this story has been retold. I think the filmmakers made the right move in conversely focusing on Tonya's backstory, and in a way that doesn't just one-sidedly demonize her for a change.

I think a lot of people who are from poorer backgrounds would like to be represented more fairly in our media.

I'm from that poorer background myself but I don't want representation of such for the sake of it in spite of the actions and lack of follow through by the...protagonist...antagonist?  I'm not even sure how to properly label her character role. Besides, there are far greater choices for representation of the poor.  In fact, far too much of the poor's media representation is held by those of less than reputable character. 

And yes the media certainly gave Kerrigan all the positive attention and Harding all the negative attention.  But I can't use that as atonement by proxy.  Again, had Harding shown any contrition for conspiring to end a fellow skater's career, we'd be having a very different conversation.  Further, I think it would have made a far more compelling story had she made amends.  Instead, it appears her only regret was getting caught. She's never apologized to Kerrigan.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."