Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bring Them Back?

Felt like doing this thread after seeing Alex Onley and RabbidLuigi talk about forgotten Mario characters:

It's actually a shame that since the late 80s and early 90s Nintendo hasn't really done anything with Wart and Tatanga, two now obscure Mario villains, as they were interesting characters that could've been developed a lot more.

Nintendo isn't the only developer to have obscure characters that need to return, I'm sure. Sega at least brought back obscure Sonic characters Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel, but could stand to bring back the cast of Streets of Rage, and Midway could stand to bring back, say, the Smash TV bosses.

What are some obscure video game characters you'd like to see brought back, and how?



Around the Network

I've been wanting Wart back for ages... He was a really funny, goofy looking villain.



Johnw1104 said:
I've been wanting Wart back for ages... He was a really funny, goofy looking villain.

He became moreso in Super Mario Advance 2 when he was fully voiced.

"I am the great Wart, ha ha ha!"

What are some other obscure characters you'd like to bring back?



Not necessarily obscure, underrated maybe... but bring back Gex the Gecko!

Also does anyone remember Tombi!/Tomba! (Depending on your location, Tombi! in EU, Tomba! everywhere else), I'd love a new game like that, or even a third game in the series, but preferably in the style of the first game, since I wasn't a fan of it going full 3D in the second game.



Johnw1104 said:
I've been wanting Wart back for ages... He was a really funny, goofy looking villain.

Wart is not a Mario character.  Wart is from a game called Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic released only in Japan.  The Super Mario Bros 2 game we got in the US was in fact not Super Mario Bros 2.  At that time, Japanese devs thought the real Mario 2 was too hard for western gamers.

 

What we actually got in the US was Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic with the main characters re-skinned to resemble Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach.  Look up gameplay for Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and you will see that they are IDENTICAL in every way.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Not necessarily obscure, underrated maybe... but bring back Gex the Gecko!

Also does anyone remember Tombi!/Tomba! (Depending on your location, Tombi! in EU, Tomba! everywhere else), I'd love a new game like that, or even a third game in the series, but preferably in the style of the first game, since I wasn't a fan of it going full 3D in the second game.

I partly remember Tomba and Gex, but I don't know who owns the rights to those characters now.

Shiken said:
Johnw1104 said:
I've been wanting Wart back for ages... He was a really funny, goofy looking villain.

Wart is not a Mario character.  Wart is from a game called Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic released only in Japan.  The Super Mario Bros 2 game we got in the US was in fact not Super Mario Bros 2.  At that time, Japanese devs thought the real Mario 2 was too hard for western gamers.

 

What we actually got in the US was Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic with the main characters re-skinned to resemble Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach.  Look up gameplay for Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and you will see that they are IDENTICAL in every way.

Pretty much everyone knows that now, and so what? Shy Guys, Sniffits, Ninji and Birdo weren't originally Mario characters, yet they became canon, so why not bring back Wart too?



CaptainExplosion said:
Bristow9091 said:
Not necessarily obscure, underrated maybe... but bring back Gex the Gecko!

Also does anyone remember Tombi!/Tomba! (Depending on your location, Tombi! in EU, Tomba! everywhere else), I'd love a new game like that, or even a third game in the series, but preferably in the style of the first game, since I wasn't a fan of it going full 3D in the second game.

I partly remember Tomba and Gex, but I don't know who owns the rights to those characters now.

Shiken said:

Wart is not a Mario character.  Wart is from a game called Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic released only in Japan.  The Super Mario Bros 2 game we got in the US was in fact not Super Mario Bros 2.  At that time, Japanese devs thought the real Mario 2 was too hard for western gamers.

 

What we actually got in the US was Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic with the main characters re-skinned to resemble Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach.  Look up gameplay for Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and you will see that they are IDENTICAL in every way.

Pretty much everyone knows that now, and so what? Shy Guys, Sniffits, Ninji and Birdo weren't originally Mario characters, yet they became canon, so why not bring back Wart too?

For no other reason than I feel like being "that guy" today.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Shiken said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I partly remember Tomba and Gex, but I don't know who owns the rights to those characters now.

Pretty much everyone knows that now, and so what? Shy Guys, Sniffits, Ninji and Birdo weren't originally Mario characters, yet they became canon, so why not bring back Wart too?

For no other reason than I feel like being "that guy" today.

Well what are some obscure game characters you want to come back, and how?



You know, i'd love if they brought back my father. Such an obscure character. Went to buy cigarettes 18 years ago and never came back.



Hirouakan said:
You know, i'd love if they brought back my father. Such an obscure character. Went to buy cigarettes 18 years ago and never came back.

What's your father's name? Maybe we know him.

Anybody know if there's a chance of bringing back Q-Bert?