By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The downside of Cross-play with PC : Sea Of Thieves already has hacks

 

Should Console users have a cross play on / off option?

Yes 23 79.31%
 
No 1 3.45%
 
What? crossplay rules, ju... 5 17.24%
 
Total:29

https://www.windowscentral.com/sea-thieves-already-has-hackers-offering-compelling-case-against-cross-play

"I won't link to nor advertise this particular hack (thanks to those who tipped), but this program allows a cheating player to exploit Sea of Thieves' UWP client to auto-aim for player's heads, see chests, and other objects through walls, and perform other game-breaking feats of Godmodehood.

Naturally, all hacking players will eventually get banned from Xbox Live, losing all of their licenses and potentially access to their Microsoft Account in the process. But that isn't much comfort to those who have had their fun spoiled, particularly when one of the selling points of console play, at least for me, is a pure, hacker-free experience."


"As hard as Microsoft seems to want to push for cross-play between Xbox One and PlayStation, the idea of cross-play between Xbox and PC is mired in pretty compelling counter arguments. PC players can turn and aim faster using a mouse, PC players also don't have to pay for Xbox Live, and thus, console players are effectively subsidising the service for PC players who want to jump in to Xbox Live. If none of these arguments are compelling enough, the biggest one of all, for me, is security. Opening up Xbox to forced, compulsory cross-play potentially subjects Xbox gamers, used to a tailored, polished experience, to the flood gates of hackers the likes of which exploit PC titles with impunity."

 

"I already know that Microsoft is constantly working to eliminate hackers from its services and systems, and even if they're better than most developers and publishers at doing so. PUBG also recently updated its anti cheat systems. However, that doesn't mean that these games will be completely immune to exploitation.

By no means am I suggesting Sea of Thieves' has a pervasive hacker problem... yet, but the potential is definitely there. At least in PUBG, the PC and console versions are separated, and in Gears of War 4, competitive cross-play is optional. In a world where security can't be guaranteed, forcing cross-play on Xbox gamers just seems like a big ask.

Co-operative PC / Xbox cross-play is great. Competitive cross-play is too, but due to some people's inability to play fair, compulsory competitive cross-play isn't."

 



Around the Network

I'd actually find it entertaining playing with people with hacks I believe.



What do you guys think?

Also people cheating in Sea of Theives,... thats crazy its not even like its a ranked pvp shooter or such.
Do you mind playing with PC users?

VGPolyglot said:
I'd actually find it entertaining playing with people with hacks I believe.

What about against them?



It sounds like PC gamers have found a way to get the most out of their hard earned money.



Cross play Is probably one of my favorite features. Been playing Fortnite, RL with my PC friends the last few months and it's been a blast. Love the feature. Haven't seen any hackers yet in Sea of Thieves. Rare will probably find a way to ban them.



Around the Network

So, how could you explain all the cheeters I encountered in Dark Souls 1,2&3?



Interesting. So the windows 10 version has been "hacked" and thus the xbox one users are having to "deal" with those users?

Wonder how much griefing that will lead to.

A feature to play isolated would be an interesting feature. If they offered such an option they could allow for more Cross play games. Don't want to do controller vs keyboard? Turn off that connection.

Probably a lot of effort to code that though.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Bandorr said:
Interesting. So the windows 10 version has been "hacked" and thus the xbox one users are having to "deal" with those users?

Wonder how much griefing that will lead to.

A feature to play isolated would be an interesting feature. If they offered such an option they could allow for more Cross play games. Don't want to do controller vs keyboard? Turn off that connection.

Probably a lot of effort to code that though.

Crapgamer said in a video he ran into a ship with a crew, that turned invisible.

Their ship didnt sink, dispite being full of holes (he got onto it, and went down to the hull and looked around).
They could lower another person's ships anker disbite being really far out of range.

Stuff like that.

But its 4-5 days since it launched, its crazy that its hacked to this degree already and people are useing it ingame.


"Probably a lot of effort to code that though."

I dont think so tbh.... but yeah it would be abit more work.



JRPGfan said:
Bandorr said:
Interesting. So the windows 10 version has been "hacked" and thus the xbox one users are having to "deal" with those users?

Wonder how much griefing that will lead to.

A feature to play isolated would be an interesting feature. If they offered such an option they could allow for more Cross play games. Don't want to do controller vs keyboard? Turn off that connection.

Probably a lot of effort to code that though.

Crapgamer said in a video he ran into a ship with a crew, that turned invisible.

Their ship didnt sink, dispite being full of holes (he got onto it, and went down to the hull and looked around).
They could lower another person's ships anker disbite being really far out of range.

Stuff like that.

But its 4-5 days since it launched, its crazy that its hacked to this degree already and people are useing it ingame.

I kinda thought UWP was more secure. I mean they "hide" the files do you can't mod it. So yeah surprised it got hacked like this so quickly.

A ghost ship would be really cool though. Shame that was a hack and not actual content.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

Cheaters & hackers are pathetic. But crossplay is an amazing feature so let's not let a few assholes tuon it.

There's an option to turn off cross-play in Gears of War 4 but I never had any problem playing against k&m gamers.