Forums - Gaming Discussion - How good is Fortnite?

This game seems pretty controversial. Some say its really great and some say its pay to win. Also how is it different is it to PUBG and how does it stack up against it?



Around the Network

Assuming you're talking about the Battle Royale mode, then no, it's not pay to win, the only things you can buy are cosmetic items.



The only pay to win mechanic are the cosmetic skins you can buy, some of them can make you blend in more thanks to the cartoony setting of the game. As for it’s quality, that’s subjective. I enjoyed it at first but quickly soured on it and uninstalled it long before PUBG came out. The main difference is PUBG has a bigger area, vehicles, and a realistic approach.

Where it stacks up against PUBG... it doesn’t imho. PUBG has much better gunplay and a better loot system. The only thing Fortnite does better is building, PUBG doesn’t do it at all. And I prefer no building.



John2290 said:
I don't think it's pay to win, I watch it a lot on twitch when I'm looking for !songrequest and the people who don't buy in are no better than that people who do and vice versa. In fact some of the better players I've seen play with no cosmetics even. Anyway, not something I'd play but like LoL and the likes it's fun to watch others play and chat shit.

Lol

LudicrousSpeed said:
The only pay to win mechanic are the cosmetic skins you can buy, some of them can make you blend in more thanks to the cartoony setting of the game. As for it’s quality, that’s subjective. I enjoyed it at first but quickly soured on it and uninstalled it long before PUBG came out. The main difference is PUBG has a bigger area, vehicles, and a realistic approach.

Where it stacks up against PUBG... it doesn’t imho. PUBG has much better gunplay and a better loot system. The only thing Fortnite does better is building, PUBG doesn’t do it at all. And I prefer no building.

Honestly the building aspect is what I find really interesting about it. Never seen a game like that before.

Bristow9091 said:
Assuming you're talking about the Battle Royale mode, then no, it's not pay to win, the only things you can buy are cosmetic items.

Didn't even know there were other modes.



Mystro-Sama said: 

Bristow9091 said:
Assuming you're talking about the Battle Royale mode, then no, it's not pay to win, the only things you can buy are cosmetic items.

Didn't even know there were other modes.

The original game Fortnite is a singleplayer/co-op based horde mode sort of thing where you pick characters with different abilities and stuff, but when they jumped on the battle royale train they renamed it to "Save The World", and the new mode... boring yet straight to the point; "Battle Royale", lol. 

Save The World never really took off, and since it's not free nobody really seems to care about it, but Battle Royale being free, it attracted a lot of people as an alternative to PUBG, and honestly... I actually prefer it, lol.



Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

Mystro-Sama said: 

Didn't even know there were other modes.

The original game Fortnite is a singleplayer/co-op based horde mode sort of thing where you pick characters with different abilities and stuff, but when they jumped on the battle royale train they renamed it to "Save The World", and the new mode... boring yet straight to the point; "Battle Royale", lol. 

Save The World never really took off, and since it's not free nobody really seems to care about it, but Battle Royale being free, it attracted a lot of people as an alternative to PUBG, and honestly... I actually prefer it, lol.

Fortnite was gonna be Battleborn level DoA without Battle Royale.



Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!


Arminillo said:
Bristow9091 said:

The original game Fortnite is a singleplayer/co-op based horde mode sort of thing where you pick characters with different abilities and stuff, but when they jumped on the battle royale train they renamed it to "Save The World", and the new mode... boring yet straight to the point; "Battle Royale", lol. 

Save The World never really took off, and since it's not free nobody really seems to care about it, but Battle Royale being free, it attracted a lot of people as an alternative to PUBG, and honestly... I actually prefer it, lol.

Fortnite was gonna be Battleborn level DoA without Battle Royale.

True words, lol. 



Mystro-Sama said:
John2290 said:
I don't think it's pay to win, I watch it a lot on twitch when I'm looking for !songrequest and the people who don't buy in are no better than that people who do and vice versa. In fact some of the better players I've seen play with no cosmetics even. Anyway, not something I'd play but like LoL and the likes it's fun to watch others play and chat shit.

Lol

LudicrousSpeed said:
The only pay to win mechanic are the cosmetic skins you can buy, some of them can make you blend in more thanks to the cartoony setting of the game. As for it’s quality, that’s subjective. I enjoyed it at first but quickly soured on it and uninstalled it long before PUBG came out. The main difference is PUBG has a bigger area, vehicles, and a realistic approach.

Where it stacks up against PUBG... it doesn’t imho. PUBG has much better gunplay and a better loot system. The only thing Fortnite does better is building, PUBG doesn’t do it at all. And I prefer no building.

Honestly the building aspect is what I find really interesting about it. Never seen a game like that before.

Bristow9091 said:
Assuming you're talking about the Battle Royale mode, then no, it's not pay to win, the only things you can buy are cosmetic items.

Didn't even know there were other modes.

Minecraft Skywars is the game my nephew compares it to. It's killed CoD, FIFA, Minecraft and GTA since he got it and his little brother has been caught getting up in the middle of the night to play it. He has PUBG but says it's boring compared to Fortnite. The only other game he plays now is Forza and his brother only plays Fortnite and Roblox. I haven't played it but I can see the appeal.



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

It's not bad. It's basically an entry level battle royale game with building. The gameplay is rather simplistic. The building is where it shines and sets it apart from other games like it. It's also where the skill gap comes into play the most.


Get shields, shotgun enemies, build... Repeat is what it feels like after a while though.



It's not P2W at all. All MTs are cosmetic. Ridiculously priced, but have no effect on the game experience.

That being said I wasn't a fan at first, but now I'm addicted. Once you get a hang of the building, it's super fun. If you aren't good at building cover you'd probably really dislike the game. It's pretty much necessary.