Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will MK8D Outsell The Original?

When will Mario Kart 8 DX outsell the original Mario Kart 8?

Within 12 months 5 20.00%
 
Within 10-12 months 0 0.00%
 
Within 8-10 months 0 0.00%
 
Within 6-8 months 1 4.00%
 
Within 4-6 months 7 28.00%
 
Within 2-4 months 10 40.00%
 
Less than 2 months 2 8.00%
 
Total:25

In today's update I saw that Mario Kart 8 DX had hit 5.44 million units on Nintendo Switch, versus the original Mario Kart 8's 7.65 million on the Wii U.

With the Switch's rapidly expanding install base, and the rate Mario Kart 8 DX has been selling, I think it'll be only another year before it outsells the original.

When do you think it will outsell the original? :)



Around the Network

You mean by VGChartz numbers?



Flilix said:
You mean by VGChartz numbers?

Sort of, unless the numbers reported from Nintendo are more accurate.



More or less a year. I have the feeling Nintendo will try to do a decent sale of multiplayer games when the online fee service launches. just to deal with any possible controversy or bad puublicity that could arise from it.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
More or less a year. I have the feeling Nintendo will try to do a decent sale of multiplayer games when the online fee service launches. just to deal with any possible controversy or bad puublicity that could arise from it.

Yes, we can't have too much bad "puublicity". =P



Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Flilix said:
You mean by VGChartz numbers?

Sort of, unless the numbers reported from Nintendo are more accurate.

Of course the numbers provided by Nintendo are more accurate. They combine shipments of boxed copies with digital sell-through data.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - 8.40m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) - 7.33m

Nintendo updates the numbers every quarter, so by June 30th the Switch version should have passed the original.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

May or June probably. The game's still charting pretty high everywhere.

MK is the legs you wished for :3



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

RolStoppable said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Sort of, unless the numbers reported from Nintendo are more accurate.

Of course the numbers provided by Nintendo are more accurate. They combine shipments of boxed copies with digital sell-through data.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - 8.40m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) - 7.33m

Nintendo updates the numbers every quarter, so by June 30th the Switch version should have passed the original.

Don’t be so humble, it will happen by the end of March (shipped + digital), just need another 1.1m to go (average of 90k per week). 



Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

RolStoppable said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Sort of, unless the numbers reported from Nintendo are more accurate.

Of course the numbers provided by Nintendo are more accurate. They combine shipments of boxed copies with digital sell-through data.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - 8.40m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) - 7.33m

Nintendo updates the numbers every quarter, so by June 30th the Switch version should have passed the original.

Guess I underestimated it. :)



Going by Nintendo's numbers, I expect it to happen by the spring.



NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity