Forums - Movies Discussion - Sleeping Dogs movie enters production, movie/game comparison shots

https://www.instagram.com/p/BewViyUn9Qb/

Martial Artist/Actor Donnie Yen (Ip Man, Star Wars Rogue One), who seems to be playing Wei Shen in the movie, has confirmed on Instagram that the movie, which was announced in March 2017, has entered production and posted some apparent comparison screenshots between the movie and game. The movie is being produced by Original Film and DJ2 Entertainment under the guidance of Neal Moritz, whose prior works include the Fast and the Furious series, the xXx series, and I am Legend; as well as Dmitri Johnson and Dan Jevons. Neal Moritz, Dmitri Johnson, and Dan Jevons are also working on multiple other video game adaptations, including Paramount's 2019 Sonic the Hedgehog movie and tv series for Life Is Strange, Ruiner, and Little Nightmares.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 05 February 2018

Around the Network

I really hope that Square is planning to capitalize on the release of the movie with a sequel to the game releasing around the same time. I loved the first game and would love to see a sequel release in the next year or two.



Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Well, this came out of nowhere. I didn't think Sleeping Dogs did well enough to make a sequel, much less a movie.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I loved Sleeping dogs, and I love Donnie Yen.

Can't wait !



Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.

They aren't the only ones doing it, there are a ton of video game adaptations in the works right now.

  • Tomb Raider movie reboot at MGM/WB releasing in March 2018
  • Mario CGI Movie at Illumination Entertainment
  • Sonic the Hedgehog live-action/CGI hybrid movie at Paramount releasing in 2019
  • Assassin's Creed movie sequel at New Regency
  • Borderlands movie at Lionsgate
  • Call of Duty cinematic universe at the newly formed Activision Blizzard Studios
  • Deus Ex movie at CBS
  • Five Nights at Freddie's movie at WB
  • Ghost Recon movie at WB (with Michael Bay directing)
  • Splinter Cell movie at New Regency
  • Watch Dogs movie at New Regency and Sony Pictures
  • Gran Turismo movie
  • Asteroids movie at Universal
  • The Last of Us movie at Sony Pictures
  • Uncharted movie at Sony Pictures
  • Metro 2033 movie at MGM
  • Minecraft movie at WB
  • Thief movie at Straight Up Pictures
  • The Witcher tv series at Netflix
  • Life is Strange tv series
  • Ruiner tv series
  • Little Nightmares tv series
  • Sly Cooper tv series at Technicolor


shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.

They aren't the only ones doing it, there are a ton of video game adaptations in the works right now.

  • Tomb Raider movie reboot at MGM/WB releasing in March 2018
  • Mario CGI Movie at Illumination Entertainment
  • Sonic the Hedgehog live-action/CGI hybrid movie at Paramount releasing in 2019
  • Assassin's Creed movie sequel at New Regency
  • Borderlands movie at Lionsgate
  • Call of Duty cinematic universe at the newly formed Activision Blizzard Studios
  • Deus Ex movie at CBS
  • Five Nights at Freddie's movie at WB
  • Ghost Recon movie at WB (with Michael Bay directing)
  • Splinter Cell movie at New Regency
  • Watch Dogs movie at New Regency and Sony Pictures
  • Gran Turismo movie
  • Asteroids movie at Universal
  • The Last of Us movie at Sony Pictures
  • Uncharted movie at Sony Pictures
  • Metro 2033 movie at MGM
  • Minecraft movie at WB
  • Thief movie at Straight Up Pictures
  • The Witcher tv series at Netflix
  • Life is Strange tv series
  • Ruiner tv series
  • Little Nightmares tv series
  • Sly Cooper tv series at Technicolor

Not really the same though. Most, if not all, of those were deemed successful enough to continue the franchise and make sequels etc. Expanding into other media makes much more sense in that case. But if they think it wasn't successful enough to continue the franchise and make a Sleeping Dogs 2... then why waste money producing a movie?



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
shikamaru317 said: 

Not really the same though. Most, if not all, of those were deemed successful enough to continue the franchise and make sequels etc. Expanding into other media makes much more sense in that case. But if they think it wasn't successful enough to continue the franchise and make a Sleeping Dogs 2... then why waste money producing a movie?

I don't recall Square ever saying it wasn't successful enough for a sequel. They had United Front working on an MMO version of Sleeping Dogs for like 2 years, before they decided to cancel it because it wasn't what the fans wanted. They never ruled out a proper AAA singleplayer sequel after that. Of course United Front has shut down since then and Square's 1st party western studios are all busy with other games right now (Shadow of the Tomb Raider and 2 Marvel games), but Square could always partner with a 3rd party independent studio to make Sleeping Dogs 2. If anything I'd say the fact that this movie is in development is a positive sign for the future of the game series, they may well be planning to release a sequel around the same time that the movie releases (most likely in 2019 at some point).

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 05 February 2018

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.

They aren't the only ones doing it, there are a ton of video game adaptations in the works right now.

  • Tomb Raider movie reboot at MGM/WB releasing in March 2018
  • Mario CGI Movie at Illumination Entertainment
  • Sonic the Hedgehog live-action/CGI hybrid movie at Paramount releasing in 2019
  • Assassin's Creed movie sequel at New Regency
  • Borderlands movie at Lionsgate
  • Call of Duty cinematic universe at the newly formed Activision Blizzard Studios
  • Deus Ex movie at CBS
  • Five Nights at Freddie's movie at WB
  • Ghost Recon movie at WB (with Michael Bay directing)
  • Splinter Cell movie at New Regency
  • Watch Dogs movie at New Regency and Sony Pictures
  • Gran Turismo movie
  • Asteroids movie at Universal
  • The Last of Us movie at Sony Pictures
  • Uncharted movie at Sony Pictures
  • Metro 2033 movie at MGM
  • Minecraft movie at WB
  • Thief movie at Straight Up Pictures
  • The Witcher tv series at Netflix
  • Life is Strange tv series
  • Ruiner tv series
  • Little Nightmares tv series
  • Sly Cooper tv series at Technicolor

Oh, no. Now I'm having Sonic 2006 flashbacks.

Also, I can see some of this working (a Splinter Cell movie would just be a regular spy/action flick) and some of this failing to no end. How on Earth do you adapt CoD to the big screen, other than just make the campaign into a film? And why would you make TLoU and Uncharted into a movie, when they are basically movies as they are, it would be so redundant.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Could be cool, but I'd much rather have a sequel.



I am currently sigless.