Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR is not a gimmick!

I wouldn't say that the PSVR is a gimmick, but I'd really have a hard time telling you which things I consider gimmicks. I just hate VR gaming, but I wouldn't say it's a gimmick, it's just that it's not my thing.



Around the Network

I don't personally see how it's not a gimmick, just like 3DS style "3D gaming" is/was a gimmick. All of the VR games I've seen look and feel worse than regular gaming. I can appreciate if some people like it. But VR gaming, to me, does just feel like another gimmick. It presents you this illusion that "oh look, I'm IN the game". But I know I'm not in the game. And it doesn't FEEL like I'm in the game. It really, to me personally, doesn't add anything to make the gameplay experience more "immersive".

If anything, much like the "3D" in 3D movies or games, it takes me OUT of the immersion, it reminds me that "yup, you're playing a game that wants you to feel like you're in the game". And To me, I'm good. I don't need or want gimmicks, including motion controls, which also really didn't feel more "immersive" (half the the time controls wouldn't always even work properly). I'm the gamer that just wants to sit down, with a controller in my hands, look at a TV screen, and play a game. No frills, no gimmicks, just the game, and me.



It's a high end peripheral just like a steering wheel is. It let's you experience game in a total different way and expands the experience. Iny eyes it isn't a gimmick like motion controls which have very little effect on the game play.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I'm getting PSVR sooner than later. Almost got it yesterday, buy the buyers guilt was setting in at the thought. If I didn't dislike Bethesda as much as I do, and could trust them to make a game that wouldn't glitch fuck me to insanity, Skyrim would be, I'd imagine, a great experience. Hope PSVR gets supported with more titles like this. Too bad LA Noire is exclusive to Vive. Love to play that one.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

Probably gonna get me a HTC Vive next month, arf.

Edit: I'm gonna wait for the HTC Vive Pro now, arf. 

Last edited by Peh - on 21 January 2018

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM / 3090 (Placeholder)| Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Around the Network

Now that said, the reason I know Wiimote is no gimmick is because I WANT to grab that Wiimote controller on everytime I sit down to game now. It has made a 3 years old game I had gotten completely bored to death of (Resident Evil 4) a new and addictive nature making the game better than it was at vanilla release or any other time I've played the game. Again the same deal with Metroid Prime Trilogy, giving the game a totally new level of addiction. Somehow playing on the pleasure centers of the brain in a massive way.


I'm not saying that VR is a gimmick, but if your argument is that it's not a gimmick because you like it, that can basically be applied to anything. And yeah, I genuinely do prefer Wiimotes for quite a few genres.



An argument could be made that in it's current incarnation it's a gimmick, but as a concept VR is obviously not a gimmick.



Qwark said:
It's a high end peripheral just like a steering wheel is. It let's you experience game in a total different way and expands the experience. Iny eyes it isn't a gimmick like motion controls which have very little effect on the game play.

Gyro-aiming has done wonders for aiming in shooter games. Don't dismiss motion controls so readily.

JWeinCom said:
Now that said, the reason I know Wiimote is no gimmick is because I WANT to grab that Wiimote controller on everytime I sit down to game now. It has made a 3 years old game I had gotten completely bored to death of (Resident Evil 4) a new and addictive nature making the game better than it was at vanilla release or any other time I've played the game. Again the same deal with Metroid Prime Trilogy, giving the game a totally new level of addiction. Somehow playing on the pleasure centers of the brain in a massive way.


I'm not saying that VR is a gimmick, but if your argument is that it's not a gimmick because you like it, that can basically be applied to anything. And yeah, I genuinely do prefer Wiimotes for quite a few genres.

Yes! RE4 on Wii demonstrated how to do motion controls right!

I absolutely LOVE RE4 on Wii and it demonstrated that a pointer function has its uses. It makes perfect sense: a game with aiming in it stands to benefit from a peripheral that can aim.

Barkley said:
An argument could be made that in it's current incarnation it's a gimmick, but as a concept VR is obviously not a gimmick.

Obviously?



AR/VR or Mixed Reality (All of which include 3D), along with Motion Controls, and Voice are the ways the majority will interact with electronics by the end of the next decade. The combonation of these technologies are basically the Smartphone of the 2020's, they will start off somewhat slow through the late teens, and reach the level of mass adaption by the middle of the 2020's. By 2028 haveing a Mixed Reality device will be almost a nessecity.

On the gaming side, MR is going to become the dominate way people play games, and it will be a bigger market than TV gaming ever has been. AAA titles will quickly start to transition to VR only over the next few years, which will drive adoption rates. There is absolutely no genre which does not massively benefit from MR.

The social side of MR will be a key driving element. MR brings with it the best communication I have ever expereinced via electronics. Communicating in MR is as close as it gets to actually physically being present with someone else. It is going to be an incredible tool for people that have long distance relationships, or are stationed over seas. For gamers, the ability to communicate in multiplayer games is unprecedented. Again, it is like physically going somewhere with someone and sharing the expereince.

As the Field of View grows, the resolution increases, the frame rates rise, and tracking is perfected, MR will basically turn into a teleportation device, allowing you to go anywhere in the world, or your imagination. People fear change, people fear improvement, people are quick to anything new as a gimmik or evil. Luckily we have leaders that push through peoples fears and show them the better life on the other side. It will be no different with MR.



Side Note: I just like to point out that Cameras, Motion, and 3D have all been building blocks to MR. Non of them are really gimmicks, as they are all instrumental in the evolution of digital interaction. They will be the underlying foundation of future tech for decades to come.



Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

John2290 said:
JWeinCom said:
Now that said, the reason I know Wiimote is no gimmick is because I WANT to grab that Wiimote controller on everytime I sit down to game now. It has made a 3 years old game I had gotten completely bored to death of (Resident Evil 4) a new and addictive nature making the game better than it was at vanilla release or any other time I've played the game. Again the same deal with Metroid Prime Trilogy, giving the game a totally new level of addiction. Somehow playing on the pleasure centers of the brain in a massive way.


I'm not saying that VR is a gimmick, but if your argument is that it's not a gimmick because you like it, that can basically be applied to anything. And yeah, I genuinely do prefer Wiimotes for quite a few genres.

You totally ignored all my other points. And motion controls were never a gimmick, they are still alive and well today and are used by many, Even the switch has kept motion controls as well as the dualshock 4. 

Your only other point was porn.....everything else was just talking about your personal experience with it.

I dont think its a gimmick but you didnt really do a good job of explaining why its not.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.