Forums - Politics Discussion - Apple is bringing their overseas money back to the US (350B$ investments)

Apple announces plans to repatriate billions in overseas cash, says it will contribute $350 billion to the US economy over the next 5 years

It said it expects to pay about $38 billion in taxes for the horde of cash it plans to bring back to the United States. This implies it will repatriate virtually all of its $250 billion in overseas cash.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/01/apple-accelerates-us-investment-and-job-creation/

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/apple-announces-350-billion-investment-20k-jobs-over-5-years.html

In 2016, then president-elect Donald Trump publicly called out Apple's reliance on its Chinese supply chain, telling The New York Times that he would "get Apple to build a big plant in the United States, or many big plants in the United States."

 



Around the Network

Aren't they the ones that just had to pay some huge fine or back taxes to the EU or something? I guess that will show the EU for enforcing APPLE to do stuff.



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Corporate tax should be paid where the money is made, and after that shouldn't be taxed when moving across borders.



How completely altruistic of them.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Time to acquire some companies Apple! Get Tesla, SpaceX, American Express and Nvidia, diversify a bit.

Maybe get into the games business too.



Around the Network
Turkish said:
Time to acquire some companies Apple! Get Tesla, SpaceX, American Express and Nvidia, diversify a bit.

Maybe get into the games business too.

Most of those either go directly against or at least doesn't add to Apple's corporate philosophy (they create an ecosystem that their users have to exit as little as possible, all tied in with their hardware).

SpaceX for that matter isn't even a publicly traded company, and Elon Musk personally owns 54% of all shares outstanding, and controls 78% of the voting power. The odds that he'll sell are about zilch. Heck, even Tesla would be difficult to buy even if they wanted, with Mush owning 22% of all shares.



spurgeonryan said:
Aren't they the ones that just had to pay some huge fine or back taxes to the EU or something? I guess that will show the EU for enforcing APPLE to do stuff.

No it won't because since they've been forced to pay ireland 13BN they've invested billions more into Ireland and show no signs of slowing down. Fair play to the eu for standing up to them.

 

Anyway maybe trump isn't so bad after all. He should try and get a tech hub going in Detroit and get these companies coming back to America giving employment to places that need it the most. 



Kerotan said:
spurgeonryan said:
Aren't they the ones that just had to pay some huge fine or back taxes to the EU or something? I guess that will show the EU for enforcing APPLE to do stuff.

No it won't because since they've been forced to pay ireland 13BN they've invested billions more into Ireland and show no signs of slowing down. Fair play to the eu for standing up to them.

 

Anyway maybe trump isn't so bad after all. He should try and get a tech hub going in Detroit and get these companies coming back to America giving employment to places that need it the most. 

Why force a tech hub in Detroit when you already have several thriving tech hubs in the US?



Oh look... The evil tax bill is at work again.



Teeqoz said:
Turkish said:
Time to acquire some companies Apple! Get Tesla, SpaceX, American Express and Nvidia, diversify a bit.

Maybe get into the games business too.

Most of those either go directly against or at least doesn't add to Apple's corporate philosophy (they create an ecosystem that their users have to exit as little as possible, all tied in with their hardware).

SpaceX for that matter isn't even a publicly traded company, and Elon Musk personally owns 54% of all shares outstanding, and controls 78% of the voting power. The odds that he'll sell are about zilch. Heck, even Tesla would be difficult to buy even if they wanted, with Mush owning 22% of all shares.

They work well with their corporate philosphy,if they ever had one, just as much as Beats did. For instance, American Express cards, Apple(Tesla) cars, Nvidia(for gpu and AI purposes). SpaceX? Just because it's such an innovative company which could rule space exploration and global hyper fast travel (with their rocket travel concept) one day. Basically making everything from your phone, to your credit card and car, to your travel means serviced by Apple. They would not be a trillion dollar company, but several trillions.

All those would add tremendously to the Apple brand. And I'd make Elon Musk the CEO of Apple, if he so desired.

And yeah, basically the only thing that would be missing is ruling the living room, which could be fixed with a TV and console.