Forums - Movies Discussion - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

numberwang said:

TLJ slowly crawled its way into the top ten...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

But at what cost?



Around the Network

Tuesday numbers are in. TLJ made $1.1M. For the same day, RO outperformed it by 19.2%. This lowers the rate that TLJ has been outperforming RO, outside of opening weekend, has fallen to 7.4%.



This is a film that deserved to fail hard, but critics mindlessly propped it up. Out of a couple dozen people I've talked to, about 75% or so outright disliked it or were seriously disappointed, the other 25% were meh to 'it's great'. Not coincidentally, most of those 25% also tend to love just about everything they see, JP even loved 'The Ridiculous 6'. He did however hate No Country for Old Men.



This topic is going on for 114 pages. Its star wars. What are you guys still discussing? The actors got their money and are doing parties on islands or on their yachts and they dont give a shit about the sw universe. Most of them even dont know the story of that one episode. They just came to a set, play and go home. Why are you guys still discussing this?? The fans have spoken.. who cares? Its a movie.



I saw something about China pulling the film out of theatres.



Around the Network
Pagan said:
This topic is going on for 114 pages. Its star wars. What are you guys still discussing? The actors got their money and are doing parties on islands or on their yachts and they dont give a shit about the sw universe. Most of them even dont know the story of that one episode. They just came to a set, play and go home. Why are you guys still discussing this?? The fans have spoken.. who cares? Its a movie.

Well why should we also discuss sports, arts, music and... games?

Its all made by people who gets paid to do their jobs...



Wed numbers are in.  TLJ did just $861K on Day 34, meaning RO outperformed it by 17%.  It also wasn't until Day 39 that RO dropped below $900K, Day 46 for TFA.  Jurassic World is now ahead of it by $962K.

Aeolus451 said:
I saw something about China pulling the film out of theatres.

Yep, read that, too.  It was taken out of 92% of the screenings it opened with after a week.  And before 2 weeks was even up, it was pulled out of them completely, making ~$40M.  Far cry from the $124.2M that TFA made.  Even worse than the $69.5M the spinoff RO made.



Thu numbers are in and TLJ did just $851K. This means that RO outperformed it by 10.9% for the same day. It also drops the amount that TLJ has been outperforming RO, outside of opening weekend, to 7.3%.

For the weekend, BOM expects TLJ to do $6.2M, a drop of 47.7% WOW. This would put the DBO at $603.9M, which is 31.3% down from TFA. It also lowers the rate it has been outperforming RO to 6.9%. After its 6th weekend, RO made $19.8M. If the 6.9% holds, TLJ will make $21.3M. This would bring the DBO final to $625.2M. If the current FBO percentage of 53% holds, final WW take will be $1.33B. 

Of course, the current trend of the past few days may hold, with TLJ actually performing worse than RO.  So, there's a chance that TLJ only makes $15M-$18M in the next few weeks.  This would make the final DBO $618.9-$621.9M, or below The Avengers' $623.4M.  This would also make final WW numbers ~$1.32B, meaning Harry Potter 8 is in no fear of being passed.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 19 January 2018

Weekend estimates are in. TLJ did $6.57M, which is 8.9% below RO's take for the same weekend. It's also down 53.4% from TFA's take for the same weekend. This is the 2nd weekend TLJ has lost theatres, which is normal, but it's still at a much faster rate than TFA, and also faster than RO. TLJ started with 4,232 screens. That has fallen to 2,456, a decline of 42%. TFA, at this point, had dropped from 4,134 to 3,365, a decline of just 18.6%. RO had dropped from 4,157 to 2,603, a decline of 37.4%. It'll be interesting to see if TLJ can actually leg it out to 20+ weeks, like TFA and RO did.

Also, this is probably going to be the last time I update on an almost daily basis. The numbers are just too small at this point to drastically alter the percentage it is down from TFA. Right now, its final numbers seem pretty much certain. Domestic will be $618M-$625M, or 33%-34% down, while WW will be $1.32B-$1.34B, or 35%-36% down. A far cry from TFA, or from where they wanted to be with a reasonable drop of 15%-18%. And much worse than even the ~22% drop they were expecting after the 2nd weekend drop of 68%.

So, unless something changes, like a drastic uptick in sales or drastic downtick (like it dropping below $450K in the coming days), or there's an interesting convo being had, I probably won't be posting much until we get to the final few days.



Thanks for the info.