Forums - Gaming Discussion - Times It Worked?

Okay, former Rare members split off to make their own successor to Banjo-Kazooie but it came out average. Keiji Inafune split from Capcom to make Mighty No. 9 but it came out awful.

This has likely led to people thinking veteran developers shouldn't split off from their companies because it doesn't work out like it should.

However, they forget that in the past it has worked. :)

EX: Former Konami employees who left that company for Treasure, and made great games like Gunstar Heroes. Also Free Radical Design, who gave us the beloved Time Splitters games, were former Rare developers. Then there's the team who made the Metal Slug series, made up of ex-Irem developers.

That's just a few I remember, but who here knows of other times splitting off from an older game company to start your own worked?



Around the Network

I'd put Yookalaylee below average.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
I'd put Yookalaylee below average.

Can you give me an example of times splitting off to form your own company worked?



Respawn Entertainment were quite succesful with Titanfall after splitting off from Infinity Ward. Although they then sold out to EA which has got to be worse than being owned by Activision... but it still worked for awhile!

Also, I think it's more telling that all your failures of examples are kickstarted games in outdated genres. That may have more to do with why it didn't work out than because they left their old company...



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

CaptainExplosion said:
Azuren said:
I'd put Yookalaylee below average.

Can you give me an example of times splitting off to form your own company worked?

Well, you already gave a great example with Free Radical Design. But let's not forget ActiVision, one of the biggest gaming companies there is, was made of former Atari employees.



Around the Network

If one person moving around meets your criteria, Amy Hennig seemed to have a nice upwards career trajectory as she left one company to go to the next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig

I loved those Kain games, but Soul Reaver 2 was a letdown.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

Ka-pi96 said:
Respawn Entertainment were quite succesful with Titanfall after splitting off from Infinity Ward. Although they then sold out to EA which has got to be worse than being owned by Activision... but it still worked for awhile!

Also, I think it's more telling that all your failures of examples are kickstarted games in outdated genres. That may have more to do with why it didn't work out than because they left their old company...

If collectathons are outdated then why do people love Super Mario Odyssey?

I'm starting to wonder if being owned by Activision is less awful than being owned by Microsoft.



CaptainExplosion said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Respawn Entertainment were quite succesful with Titanfall after splitting off from Infinity Ward. Although they then sold out to EA which has got to be worse than being owned by Activision... but it still worked for awhile!

Also, I think it's more telling that all your failures of examples are kickstarted games in outdated genres. That may have more to do with why it didn't work out than because they left their old company...

If collectathons are outdated then why do people love Super Mario Odyssey?

I'm starting to wonder if being owned by Activision is less awful than being owned by Microsoft.

Because Nintendo are the only ones capable of putting out a good new platformer these days?

Being owned by Microsoft is probably better. At least you know one day they'll shut your company down and you'll be free! With Activision you'll just be making Call of Duty for the rest of your life



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

COKTOE said:

If one person moving around meets your criteria, Amy Hennig seemed to have a nice upwards career trajectory as she left one company to go to the next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig

I loved those Kain games, but Soul Reaver 2 was a letdown.

But Soul Reaver 2 was my favorite D:



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
COKTOE said:

If one person moving around meets your criteria, Amy Hennig seemed to have a nice upwards career trajectory as she left one company to go to the next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig

I loved those Kain games, but Soul Reaver 2 was a letdown.

But Soul Reaver 2 was my favorite D:

Really? Hmmm. I thought the story progressed nicely, PS2 graphics were very good for their time, and a solid upgrade over the Dreamcast port of the PS1 original. It was way too easy though. I played the entire game without dying. I mean, it was basically impossible to die. Because of that, it lost most if not all tension around halfway through. It was the first game I ever signed a petition for, which I did for the canceled Dreamcast version. :)



Chinese food for breakfast