Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch third party price, value and perception

Third party support, a constant topic that looms over Nintendo; statements, audience, hardware, projections, microtransactions, PR, generalization, sales, loot boxes, marketing, tests... we even have our very own 3rd party society

Now with the unknown hybrid, has your perception changed since the WiiU days

Last edited by TomaTito - on 18 November 2017

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

The consensus a few years back was that third parties games tend to drop the price fast, that's why their value is perceived as lower since the publishers do sales a few months down the line. If you can just wait those few months and get the game at half price, then the game wasn't worth the full asking price at launch.

The subject of quality and price does hit closer to the Switch. We've had discussions on the Switch tax regarding the use of cartridge for which publishers want it to go hand in hand with price. And then the quality ports ranging from Doom to Rime.



@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

If its not exclusive and it is on PS4 or PC, no point in buying it on Switch is how I perceive it.

 

You can get it for cheaper sooner than later sometimes, have achievements/trophies, bigger userbase for online MP on competitor platforms.

 

 

I guess the only benefit would be if it comes bundled with everything like Disgaea 5 Complete or for portability use but I'd rather get exclusives on the Switch.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 19 November 2017

    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

BasilZero said:

If its not exclusive and it is on PS4 or PC, no point in buying it on Switch is how I perceive it.

 

You can get it for cheaper, achievements/trophies, bigger userbase for online MP on competitor platforms.

 

 

I guess the only benefit would be if it comes bundled with everything like Disgaea 5 Complete or for portability use.

Erm, no...

My third party games:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (best version of the game because of portability and it received the Specter of Torment campaign first)

Steamworld Dig 2 (best version because of portability and it released first on the Switch)

Stardew Valley (best version because of portability and it will receive the multiplayer update before the other consoles)

Sonic Mania (best version because of portability)

Skyrim (not the best version by a long-shot, but still nice to play on the go. PC version is the King because of all the mods.).

I paid € 20 for Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig 2 and Sonic Mania, which is the same price as on other consoles. For Stardew Valley I only paid € 14. 



"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:

Erm, no...

My third party games:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (best version of the game because of portability and it received the Specter of Torment campaign first)

Steamworld Dig 2 (best version because of portability and it released first on the Switch)

Stardew Valley (best version because of portability and it will receive the multiplayer update before the other consoles)

Sonic Mania (best version because of portability)

Skyrim (not the best version by a long-shot, but still nice to play on the go. PC version is the King because of all the mods.).

I paid € 20 for Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig 2 and Sonic Mania, which is the same price as on other consoles. For Stardew Valley I only paid € 14. 

 

Most of the reasons you posted were for portability which I said the same thing as well o.O.

As for pricing...


Shovel Knight was $9.99 on Steam and if you bought it before the DLCs came out, the DLCs were free.

Steam World Dig  2 I'll wait when its part of a humble bundle - thats how I got the first game.

Sonic Mania was $15 just a few days ago for Steam and considering its a Sonic game, that price is gonna tank down to single digit price tag within next few months.

Stardew Valley you can get it for $9 on Steam and it was part of a humble bundle that costed $30 for 40 games few months back: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/13/humble-freedom-bundle/

 

Of course this is for PC, dont remember the deals for the PS4 versions.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 19 November 2017

    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Around the Network

Skyrim isnt simply the "not the best version",its the "worst version" Same for DOOM..that game looks DISGUSTING compared to on ANY other platform...and you pay more for it too..like 3 times more than what it costs right now.

So yeah not surprised you mainly mentioned 2d games.



BasilZero said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Erm, no...

My third party games:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (best version of the game because of portability and it received the Specter of Torment campaign first)

Steamworld Dig 2 (best version because of portability and it released first on the Switch)

Stardew Valley (best version because of portability and it will receive the multiplayer update before the other consoles)

Sonic Mania (best version because of portability)

Skyrim (not the best version by a long-shot, but still nice to play on the go. PC version is the King because of all the mods.).

I paid € 20 for Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig 2 and Sonic Mania, which is the same price as on other consoles. For Stardew Valley I only paid € 14. 

 

Most of the reasons you posted were for portability which I said the same thing as well o.O.

As for pricing...


Shovel Knight was $9.99 on Steam and if you bought it before the DLCs came out, the DLCs were free.

Steam World Dig  2 I'll wait when its part of a humble bundle - thats how I got the first game.

Sonic Mania was $15 just a few days ago for Steam and considering its a Sonic game, that price is gonna tank down to single digit price tag within next few months.

Stardew Valley you can get it for $9 on Steam and it was part of a humble bundle that costed $30 for 40 games few months back: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/13/humble-freedom-bundle/

 

Of course this is for PC, dont remember the deals for the PS4 versions.

I bought them all on launch day and they all had the same price across platforms... Shovel Knight also had a discount on Switch for Halloween... 

Why would I want to pay $30 for those games? Most of them are terrible. 

A lot of games that are purchased on Steam are never touched again... that says a lot about PC gamers. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/37-percent-of-steam-games-have-never-been-played-report/1100-6419022/

Last edited by Alkibiádēs - on 19 November 2017

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Kerozinn said:
Skyrim isnt simply the "not the best version",its the "worst version" Same for DOOM..that game looks DISGUSTING compared to on ANY other platform...and you pay more for it too..like 3 times more than what it costs right now.

So yeah not surprised you mainly mentioned 2d games.

Skyrim is a terrible game except with mods (and even then it's still Skyrim, so don't expect wonders). 

Breath of the Wild is a lot better. 

I'm still wondering how this game ever received such high critic scores last-gen. It's incredible janky, murky and the combat is straight up terrible. It's the only game I regret purchasing. I will still finish it though (or at least try to). 

I much rather play those 2D games then, so much better. ;) 

Gamers really need to get rid of their elitist attitude. Just because a game is 2D or "indie" doesn't mean it's worth less. In fact, often it's a lot better than those typical Western AAA games. 



"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Kerozinn said:
Skyrim isnt simply the "not the best version",its the "worst version" Same for DOOM..that game looks DISGUSTING compared to on ANY other platform...and you pay more for it too..like 3 times more than what it costs right now.

So yeah not surprised you mainly mentioned 2d games.

That is quite a lot of hyperbole there. Skyrim is better than the PS3 and 360 versions in docked mode and in portable mode you barely notice its skirmishes on a 6.2" display; not to mention it is based on the special edition that launched on the XONE and PS4. Doom does look considerably worse in docked mode than its stationary counterparts, but in portable mode the biggest noticeable difference is the frame rate, again the graphical differences are not really noticeable on a 6.2" display.

While the stationary versions have the best visuals and performance (which is great for people that want to play only on TV), for people that like portability and flexibility the Switch is hands down better, even with regards to games like Doom and Skyrim. The system just makes these games far more accessible because of the portability (and graphically the differences are not really noticeable in many of these games when played in portable mode). For those that prioritize flexibility and portability the Switch version is more than sufficient and I would even go as far to say comparable to the other versions; for those that want both the portability of a handheld and the performance they can always buy both a stationary and a Switch version; and those that only game on TV or in front of the monitor will not really see any benefits in owning the Switch version.



Alkibiádēs said:

I bought them all on launch day and they all had the same price across platforms... Shovel Knight also had a discount on Switch for Halloween... 

Why would I want to pay $30 for those games? Most of them are terrible. 

A lot of games that are purchased on Steam are never touched again... that says a lot about PC gamers. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/37-percent-of-steam-games-have-never-been-played-report/1100-6419022/

 

You talking about games are terrible is subjective as some would consider those games as great and others not so much.

 

The second part, who the hell cares? I dont care how many PC gamers play games and I dont care how many console gamers play games.

All I care about is me when it comes to playing or buying games, anyone else is irrelevant - the argument you put up is just pointless jabber when it comes to a consumer who consumes games like me. Any normal player/gamer would think like that and if they dont, you need your priorities straight if you worry about some corporations :p.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 19 November 2017

    

Basil's YouTube Channel