Finally, seven years after Mario Galaxy 2 was released, we finally got a real Mario 3D platformer.
Odyssey is everything 3D World wasn't.
- Big world with a lot of freedom vs tiny , small worlds ultra basics limited by a stupid timer
- Ambitious and gorgeous production value , graphics and designs
- Extremely useful powers vs stupid gimmicks like cat Mario
- Magical gameplay enhanced by Cappy, with all kind of jump, triple jump, backflip, long jump, cappy jump, cartwheel jump vs a dumbed down version of Mario with movement restricted to 8 directions and all the jumps missing.
- A big game filled with content, ton of secrets, asking for the use of all abilities, mini games and exploration vs a dumbed down platformer where the only goal is to reach the flag.
- A magical experience crafted by Nintendo wizard for the sole purpose off excelling and reaching the height of the platformer genre vs a quickly developped game who has been developped for multi player purpose following the succes of 3D Land.
I hope Nintendo learned the lesson and never commit another 3D World. The Wii U probably suffered from the lack of a proper 3D Mario.