Rank the Super Mario Odyssey kingdoms from most to least favorite! I excluded Cloud Kingdom and Ruined Kingdom since they're so tiny.
1. Metro Kingdom: Who would have thought this idea would work so well? Not me, that's for sure. But this kingdom is just sheer fun to mess around in. Some of the most fun I've had in any game in ages. I almost feel like they married the awesome Spiderman 2 game with a Super Mario game, and the result is incredible. Bouncing off taxis, riding the mopeds, swinging off the streetlamps, climbing scaffolding and scaling the skyscrapers...all such a blast. And the festival is definitely the highlight of the whole game for me.
2. Sand Kingdom: Tons to do here, lots of variety. Like the night and day element. Cool idea to have it partially frozen and then thawing it opening up lots of new moons and things to do. The jaxi is a lot of fun to speed through the desert with, and Mario's new roll ability is a ton of fun here too. The Dia De Los Muertos inspired town is awesome and the residents are probably the most memorable new characters introduced in the game.
3. Mushroom Kingdom: Talk about a nostalgia rush done right! This is fan service in a game of the absolute highest caliber. It looks absolutely stunning, and there's way more to do than I expected there would be.
4. Luncheon Kingdom: Looks and reminds me the most of a galaxy in one of the Galaxy games, which is a huge win to me since those are my favorite Mario games. All the colors and the art style is just gorgeous in docked mode. Such a creative kingdom.
5. Lake Kingdom: Absolutely love the look and vibe of this one. The domed underwater city is like a Super Mario Atlantis, which is awesome in my book. Could have probably made a play for my favorite if it were one of the bigger ones and they had done more with the city area.
6. Seaside Kingdom: Yet another stunning looking Kingdom. The bubble octopus things are one of the most fun captures. Though I do wish this and Lake Kingdom had swapped in terms of size, since I think there was much more potential with Lake Kingdom for the bigger area.
7. Wooded Kingdom: Still think this kingdom looks kind of ugly, just like I have ever since the first trailer. But there's a lot to do and a lot of variety, with some cool captures.
8. Cascade Kingdom: Love the music, great layout for a beginning world, and the T-rex capture remains too cool. Much like I wish Lake and Seaside had swapped size, I wish this was one of the bigger kingdoms over Wooded.
9. Bowser's Kingdom: The Japanese castle look is really cool, but I have to say it loses huge points for me for never actually getting to any kind of interior of the castle. I totally thought that's what it was leading to, and was disappointed it just stays outside the whole time.
10. The Moon: Love the nod to the Galaxy games with the gravity mechanics. Does start to look and feel kind of monotonous though before long. The chapel is really cool.
11. Snow Kingdom: Love the look of the town and the residents and how it's nestled underground beneath the snow. Kind of small and forgettable otherwise though.
12. Cap Kingdom: One of the most visually interesting, would be a lot higher if there was more to it.
13. Lost Kingdom: Something about all the purple goop and the layout of the kingdom are off putting to me. And damn if that stupid gliding dino thing isn't the most annoying capture in the game by far to control. Hate that they actually expect you to land it on those tiny platforms scattered around.